PDA

View Full Version : protective hairstyles for men's hair?

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
any protective hairstyles for men to wear while on the journey?

Chromis
August 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
The journey? Of life, the universe, and everything? I suggest a towel.

ChatoyantLocks
August 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM
One thing I have seen done is to put in a hair elastic every few inches down the length. I also think certain braid styles like the herringbone could look quite nice.

spidermom
August 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ponytails or braids held with leather, sometimes criss-crossed down the length.

arylkin
August 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Hee! :D

I agree about the braids and especially about a cord wrapped down the length- I think that looks especially nice.

Gumball
August 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I second the need for a towel. It's the most important thing! ;)

One thing I have seen done is to put in a hair elastic every few inches down the length. I also think certain braid styles like the herringbone could look quite nice.

Indeed. A banded ponytail, or so named here the Caterpillar, works really well. A braid is great, too. Both are relatively quick and simple and they stay. I've used them a good amount and I also employ buns in my day to day hairstyling repetoire. Most styles can be protective. It's really up to you on what you feel you'd either want to do or learn to do. :)

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 04:33 PM
any protective hairstyles for men to wear while on the journey?

haha sorry i meant long hair journey*

david
August 26th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Well if its a windy day or I want to stop my hair blowing around I usually plait/braid it. Plaits I do on a regular basis are a single basic three strand or french plait. I have worn a herringbone but I always have difficulty getting them out again so I dont wear them that often.

Tapioca
August 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I do agree that a herringbone braid has a more "masculine" look than a standard braid. Of course, that's my opinion. What do I know? All the men in my life have short hair. (In college, my DH ((boyfriend then)) grew his hair out. With his glasses, he was a dead ringer for John Lennon.)

Nat242
August 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Wrapped buns, held with metal hairsticks? I'm trying to track down some short metal hairsticks for my partner, as he's recently taken to wearing buns. They look great on him, and buns can be more protective than braided styles, because you don't get friction from your clothes, and you don't get your hair caught/trapped anywhere.

Growin' It
August 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
A couple of X chromosomes chiming in here, so feel free to disregard or be offended for the crashing...

What about a single braid begun at the nape of the neck and tied off, or a herringbone, or a bun using a pencil to hold it as a hairstick?

Pierre
August 27th, 2008, 10:46 PM
The herring is one of the forty-two fish. The mullet is not. And don't forget the Babel fish.

I like buns with hair scroo and Dutch braids with no elastic. But I think it's as important to protect my hair while I sleep. For that I use a Buff.