PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection of my hair

Allychan
January 11th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Alrighty, well here is the obligatory anniversary photo. This is a two year milestone for me. When I started documenting my hair journey in Jan 2011 my hair was APL and dead (as in crunchy, knotty and very scraggy because it kept snapping off). After 6months of growth I cut back to APL to even up my hemline and because my strawlike ends were driving me crazy.

I now know most of my damage was caused by hair dye and straightening. I'd had both chemical straightening and the Brazilian Keratin treatment, I used to dye my hair every 6 weeks and used a straightener nearly every day. I was left with fried hair.

It was whilst I was working on a research assignment for my sister (she studied Natuopathy and Aromatherapy) when I wandered into the world of natural haircare. Prior to this journey I had been trying to grow my hair for nearly 2 decades. Getting nowhere.

So here we have the results of my hair finally brought back to life:
Jan 2011
http://mylushlonghaircarejourney.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/a-hair-jan-11.jpg?w=146&h=180 (http://mylushlonghaircarejourney.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/a-hair-jan-11.jpg)

and last week Jan 2013 (I have uploaded my monthly growth photos in my photo album)

http://mylushlonghaircarejourney.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/jan-2013-hair-growth.jpg?w=126&h=180 (http://mylushlonghaircarejourney.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/jan-2013-hair-growth.jpg)

I have cut off nearly all of the hair I started with, although I still have about 3inches to get rid of :eye:. I microtrimmed most of last year but have still managed to get good growth. I am hoping to get to waist soon so I can trim off the last of the damage. My hair (combed straight in the photo) is now quite wavy and I am really appreciating having healthy hair again;)

melusine963
January 11th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Wow, what a transformation! Your hair is looking great.

sarelis
January 11th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Wow, great progress! It looks so much thicker & healthier, and you have still managed to gain a lot of length even with trimming out all the damage! You must be very happy :)

bunzfan
January 11th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Wow Ally you've come such a long way from were you started, micro trimming has worked great for you:D

Nebulae
January 11th, 2013, 07:18 AM
That's some really nice progress for sure! I would love to see a pic of your natural waves as well :)

jacqueline101
January 11th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Your hair has really improved a lot. Its healthier and thicker.

patchoulilove
January 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Looks beautiful! I'd love to hear your routine. Keep up the awesome progress!

rock007junkie
January 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Wow! That's a huge change! It looks awesome!

shutterpillar
January 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
It looks great! congratulations!

Yozhik
January 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Congratulations on your two-year anniversary! :flowers:

Your hair condition seems to have improved drastically. What wonderful progress. :flower:

Here's to waist in another year's time. :toast:

Annibelle
January 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Lookin' good! :cool: :crush: :cheer:

Allychan
January 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Thank you ALL for your praise and encouragement :D

It means a lot to me, this journey has taken over two decades to achieve and this is pretty much the only place where photos 'of the back of ma head' are appreciated.

As for the request to see my natural waves, well here's the deal. My hair is quite 'fine' and the last 3" are still damaged, so if I don't comb it straight ( I oil first) it ends up looking like a rats nest on the ends and I don't want to risk it getting tangled etc. Length is my greatest motivator, even though cutting the last of the damage off would improve the look of it, but I refuse to sacrifice any more of it than I absolutley have to.

Funnily enough, since letting it 'grow out' naturally, I realise my fine hair has so much body and bounce, I was convinced I had straight hair :doh:and was doing everything I could to get it to behave that way. I never realised it had a natural wave (I started dyeing and perming etc since I was 13 :( ), I even used to get root perms on my long hair which I realise now I never needed if I'd just left it alone.

Nebulae
January 11th, 2013, 03:18 PM
As for the request to see my natural waves, well here's the deal. My hair is quite 'fine' and the last 3" are still damaged, so if I don't comb it straight ( I oil first) it ends up looking like a rats nest on the ends and I don't want to risk it getting tangled etc. Length is my greatest motivator, even though cutting the last of the damage off would improve the look of it, but I refuse to sacrifice any more of it than I absolutley have to.

Funnily enough, since letting it 'grow out' naturally, I realise my fine hair has so much body and bounce, I was convinced I had straight hair :doh:and was doing everything I could to get it to behave that way. I never realised it had a natural wave (I started dyeing and perming etc since I was 13 :( ), I even used to get root perms on my long hair which I realise now I never needed if I'd just left it alone.

Ah, I was the one to ask actually, and I understand completely what you are talking about.. seems we have a similar situation :o Apart from a few details, this was basically a description of me as well. :) I will patiently wait until you have grown another 3" and trimmed off that damage, but then I really do wanna see some waves, haha! (Yes, I love waves.. and have happily discovered some on my head too!) Wish you good growth :thumbsup:

Sharysa
January 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Fantastic transformation.

BrightEyes
January 11th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Wow, your hair has improved by leaps and bounds! It looks so healthy and thick. What an inspiration. Thanks for sharing:)

GrowingGlory
January 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Wow! Your hair looks fabulous! It looks as though you are approaching terminal length. Congratulations!

Allychan
January 11th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Ah, I was the one to ask actually, and I understand completely what you are talking about.. seems we have a similar situation :o Apart from a few details, this was basically a description of me as well. :) I will patiently wait until you have grown another 3" and trimmed off that damage, but then I really do wanna see some waves, haha! (Yes, I love waves.. and have happily discovered some on my head too!) Wish you good growth :thumbsup:

August 2011 is when I restarted my hair growth journey and cut back so I will be reposting my 'other' 2yr anniversary in Aug 2013, and I promise I won't be combing straight for that pic. Actually I plan to start microtrimming again in June after I get to waist so it shouldn't be necessary to comb it out

PixxieStix
January 11th, 2013, 05:46 PM
See, posts like this make me so incredibly happy, and wow, what a transformation! Isn't it amazing what the right care can do?! It looks so much thicker and noticeably healthier, congratulations dear, and many wishes for your continued success!

AnqeIicDemise
January 11th, 2013, 07:45 PM
stunning change! I love it!! :D Look at that shine, its almost like a mirror.

PetuniaBlossom
January 11th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Congratulations on the transformation of your hair. Good for you. You're like the poster child for the miracles that LHC offers us.

curlywurlygurly
January 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Your hair looks fantastic :) I love looking at posts like this... it inspires me to keep growing my hair, to be patient and look after it. thanks for sharing :)

eiwonob
January 12th, 2013, 12:39 AM
What a difference! Your hair looks great! Much thicker and healthier! I hope you get to waist very soon. :)

MaryMarx
January 12th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Congratulations! :beerchug: