PDA

View Full Version : Crisco on hair -- has anyone tried it?

turtlelover
January 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
So, have any of you every put Crisco in your hair as a pre-wash treatment? I've had some sitting around, and I never cook with it, and I wondered what it would do to my hair.

Arden
January 10th, 2013, 05:52 PM
I've never used it on hair but if you mix it with cornstarch it makes a half way decent lotion.

I found that out on the fly just playing around one day. I had read that people use to use it back in the day... think grandma. I thought it felt kind of greasy though so I cooked it down in my double boiler... just enough to soften it a little and mixed in cornstarch... I used the Johnson's baby cornstarch just so it would have a little more present smell. the cornstarch cut the greasy feeling a lot and gave it a more plesent texture. it would probably be fine to use. I tried it on my hands... but I ended up not keeping it just because I couldn't get past the Idea of it being Crisco.. but frankly the composition is not fat off from other "body butters"

Rosethorn
January 10th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Never tried it. I can't imagine it would actually hurt your hair but, of course, I don't know for sure. Maybe it would just be hard to wash out if you overdid it? If you do try it, please let us know how it works out for you. :)

Sillage
January 10th, 2013, 07:30 PM
So, have any of you every put Crisco in your hair as a pre-wash treatment?

I haven't but I've been tempted to get some to use as a leave in. There are lots of people who use it for that and have success. The ingredients are just soy and palm oils mostly

ingredients:SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS)

However, for prewash oils, I like something that can penetrate so coconut for sure and probably olive, shea, castor, and my favorite, avocado.

Natalia
January 10th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Havent tried it in my hair but its great of feet and elbows :)

chen bao jun
January 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I've heard of people using it as a pomade but haven't tried it.
It's probably better for your hair than it is for your cholesterol levels, though.

Sillage
January 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM
It's probably better for your hair than it is for your cholesterol levels, though.

:laugh: That's the truth!

In2wishin
January 11th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Haven't used it on hair but it is one of the ingredients in my "one stop grocery store" soap (olive and coconut oils and crisco).

jacqueline101
January 11th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I've never done it I'd be afraid it wouldn't rinse out and the build up would be bad.

Wavelength
January 11th, 2013, 02:05 PM
This thread reminds me way too much of Calvin & Hobbes. There's a strip where he put Crisco in his hair, sculpted it into a bizarre shape and then got his class picture taken. :D

lunalocks
January 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Just FYI the number one ingredient is soybean oil. It's not organic, and non organic soybeans are genetically modified, for those who care about those things.

Iolanthe13
January 11th, 2013, 07:28 PM
This thread reminds me way too much of Calvin & Hobbes. There's a strip where he put Crisco in his hair, sculpted it into a bizarre shape and then got his class picture taken. :D

That's the first thing I thought of too!