PDA

View Full Version : Need help with potential new hair cut. Layers or no?

MissEarlGrey
January 10th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I've been at my goal length for two months. I have no plans of going any longer, but I don't feel like I'm enjoying my hair very much at this length.

It's all one length and VERY heavy. I cannot wear it in an updo for more than an hour without my neck killing, even updos that I could wear just fine a few inches ago without any pain. So it's down a lot now, and I feel like it's just hanging there.

I'm considering getting some layers put in. I'm wary because I need to be able to restrain my hair in some way for work and I'd prefer if it wasn't popping out all over the place. I'm so torn, I love my hair so much, but I'm just not happy with it. It's heavy and annoying. I feel like I was much happier at BSL or a little longer, but I just love the way my hair looks right now, I just can't stand the way it feels.

Here is my hair from the front
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s211/DetachedToad/longhair_zpsa11801a5-1_zps9263642c.jpg

And my sig pic is from the back.

I could really use some help. And I'd love some pictures of layered waist-length hair to cheer me up and inspire me.

bunzfan
January 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM
No to layers if your doing it for updo's their a Pita but, i can understand if if thats heavy its making your head hurt! have you tried Madora's sectioned bun? she has really thick hair and that works for her on the other-hand spidermom has layers and it works for her i just found them a pain.

I just though if you had a u- shape it would be like layers in that the sides are lighter but, your hair is how i want mine to look eventually :crush:

akilina
January 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I say no but only because its so pretty! Aside from my biased opinion...its bothering you like it is, so maybe layers would really be beneficial.

One thing is that your hair color can be the toughest to layer...The color specifically will show every single line and cut..and if its not done right it could be disastrous. So if you do do it, I hope you are armed with a wonderful and great great stylist.

Sillage
January 10th, 2013, 01:23 PM
its bothering you like it is, so maybe layers would really be beneficial.

I agree. If it's that heavy I would try layers :)

spidermom
January 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I don't have layers any more. I go back and forth on that. There are things I love about having layers and things I love about not having layers.

Multiple buns really help the heaviness issue.

SnowWhite
January 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I think layers would look LOVELY on you!

Mesmerise
January 10th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I say no but only because its so pretty! Aside from my biased opinion...its bothering you like it is, so maybe layers would really be beneficial.

One thing is that your hair color can be the toughest to layer...The color specifically will show every single line and cut..and if its not done right it could be disastrous. So if you do do it, I hope you are armed with a wonderful and great great stylist.

I had no idea that layering was harder with particular colors! You learn a new thing every day ;).

MissEarlGrey, I think you have beautiful hair now, but I also think it would look nice with a U shaped hem and some long layers (emphasis on LONG layers... I once asked for long layers and ended up with a big thick chin length layer...). But layers from about BSL I think could look nice and give your hair a bit of lightness/movement.

turtlelover
January 10th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I like your hair texture w/out layers. If I were going to layer it, I would do it more as a bit of angling in the front that full fledged layers all over your head. If it were me, I'd rather cut off a few inches off the overall length than lose the shine and nice hemline that you get w/out layers.

AnnaB
January 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM
You hair is beautiful. What about instead of getting layers as such just have your hair v shape instead of straight?
Or half up half down up-dos?

jacqueline101
January 10th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Your hair is beautiful no mater what. I've layers and hate them but my hair isn't heavy. In your case you could try them if you're not happy grow them out.

Nebulae
January 10th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I agree with Mesmerise on this one, you could cut it in a U-shaped hemline and maybe put in some long layers. It would take a little weight off, but you won't have bits sticking out all over the place from your updo's since the layering will be around the ends of your hair. :) Your hair is beautiful as it is, too!

HintOfMint
January 10th, 2013, 09:42 PM
I'm very pro-layers. I tried being all one length, and it was just heavy and awful. Triangle head for DAYS. I got lucky with a stylist who knew what was good for my hair without my even specifying anything beyond layers, so I wouldn't really know how exactly to ask for them. But I would look around for pictures of your hairtype, length, and color that's been layered for some ideas.

Dovetail
January 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I hate my layers. I can't do braids, I can't do buns, I can't do almost anything with out little bits sticking out all over and the ends of whatever I'm trying being uneven. As one blonde to another, Layers also show EVERYY SPLIT END all the way up your hair.

A think a new hemline might help. I think a U or even a soft V would look lovely!

I think you should do what you want to do though, it is your hair!!

biogirl87
January 10th, 2013, 11:44 PM
I think you should try sectioning your buns before going for layers. When done right layers look lovely when hair is worn down, but like others pointed out they may interfere with buns. It depends on your hair thickness though. My ponytail circumference is 3.9" and when I do a cinnamon bun all the layers in my hair blend in pretty well and don't stick out all over the place. YMMV .

Ravenwind
January 10th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Definitely go for long layers if that's what you want to do. That way it's not much of a drastic change and it would be easier to grow out.

Synnovea
January 10th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Your hair is stunning!

Lilli
January 11th, 2013, 06:43 AM
You have beautiful hair. I got long layers recently (though my hair is not as long) and I do like that they make my hair look better down. I rarely wear my hair up, but when I do, they do not interfere because they are only in the bottom two inches, and the front pieces are still long enough to reach my bun. The only thing I will say against them is that I need some sort of a leave-in (like oil or cream) to make sure that no dry ends stick out and look rough/broken. They're not broken, but they can look drier and rough.

EtherealDoll
January 11th, 2013, 06:47 AM
I think it's better to do an U-shaped hemline or layers only on the last few inches of hair.

MissEarlGrey
January 11th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Thank you so much everyone, I think I will go for a new hemline shape. I feel better about this decision, I only hope my stylist understands what it is that I want. I have an oval-shaped face, so I don't think putting in a face frame would benefit me or hurt me, but I'd prefer to keep it long.

GrowingGlory
January 11th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I think that your hair is beautiful and wouldn't change a thing.

lil_irish_angel
January 11th, 2013, 09:27 AM
missEarlgrey

I myself have just come from where you are.. and I think if you sleep on it for a few weeks and see how you feel then.. you may need to break the bun updos into two if you have that problem of the weight and your head hurts.

I just did 2 cuts with light layers and it did lighten it up and didn't have swipy hair poking out either.. But now that i have heavy layers from my second cut I love my hair again.. But can not do my favorite buns that i used to a few yrs ago.. but I know can do things i haven't done it yrs, but still have long hair just different

see i have small hair but lots of it, does that make sense. and now im just a bit shorter than you are now beeing that i was almost to 40 inches my goal

DancingQueen
January 11th, 2013, 09:42 AM
If you want to chage it, why not try a U-cut and some bangs/facial layers? I think you would look beautiful with layers too, but if you have to restrain it, it might not be such a good idea.

Zindell
January 11th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Or half up half down up-dos?

I second this :-)

Half-ups wouldn't be so heavy and it means you get a change in look when you feel you need it.
Love your hair!

ravenreed
January 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I love my layers. There were some spiky pieces when my hair was shorter but as it grew, the layers actually helped my hair tuck under better. I just recently redid my layers even further up because my hair was feeling so heavy and not working in my buns right. It really made a huge difference in how my hair behaves and feels. The only thing I have trouble with is braids, but I always have so much regrowth that my braids are fuzzy anyway. I just leave a long tassel and all is well.

Oksana
January 11th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I hate layers and love a blunt cut so not much help from me. But just wanted to say how beautiful your hair is!

Seeshami
January 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I hate my layers but I am getting fond of my grown out bangs that are similar to face framing layers. I have a slight u hemline with very old layers that have been growing out for 5 year and my braids and buns can be spiky little messes because of them. I would try a different hem line but only layer or cut what your absolutely willing to chop off if you hate it.

Simone_Fatale
January 11th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I agree with others that a different hemline shape and maybe even tapered, wispy ends would relieve you greatly. Good luck! :)

GrowingGlory
January 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I just remembered something: short, hidden hairsticks help a lot with the weight distribution of heavy hair. They are positioned under the updo so that they remain invisible but anchor the hair firmly in place. For a single bun on very heavy hair, try three short hairsticks (wood works well) positioned in an open triangle (the hair sticks serve as sides of the triangle but don't come near meeting at the ends). They are easy to make by cutting then sanding wooden dowels. They can be finished with a combination of oil and wax or you can just let them absorb sebum. HTH!

Lilli
January 12th, 2013, 06:28 AM
I love my layers. There were some spiky pieces when my hair was shorter but as it grew, the layers actually helped my hair tuck under better. I just recently redid my layers even further up because my hair was feeling so heavy and not working in my buns right. It really made a huge difference in how my hair behaves and feels. The only thing I have trouble with is braids, but I always have so much regrowth that my braids are fuzzy anyway. I just leave a long tassel and all is well.

Yes, exactly. Having the ends be thinner actually makes finishing a bun easier because it tucks in better. And yes, it does make a braid have bits that stick out at the end, so I start the tassel higher up and it actually looks better.

mzBANGBANG
January 12th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I have to add to the list of naysayers but only because it took me an entire year to completely grow out my layers, I lost a ton of length. Face framing in the front could give you just enough change and lose some of the weight. If not you could always cut more after that.

Ahh you're hair is so gorgeous! It's perfect! No!!! :-P

Celtic Morla
January 12th, 2013, 07:01 AM
MY DD has very heavy hair as well why nto take off 2 inches and see if it feels beter, I'd rather do that than put layers in! We cut her hair to waist every few months as she can't take the weight. When we give her 2 braids juts one braid is more than most peopel's hair in 1 briad! She rarely lets me experiment with it as updos cause her scalp to hurt and concetratiing the hair in any way causes pain. I tell her to do more thigns but at this age she refuses to see that keeping to just one style is part of the problem!!