PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Scrub for scalp

Happytresses
January 10th, 2013, 12:19 PM
How is the best way to give your scalp a sugar scrub?
What exactly does it do?
Brown or white?

I am having this issue with my scalp. Its like it needs to be exfoliated.

Thanks

coffinhert
January 10th, 2013, 01:25 PM
You could try rubbing oil (like coconut oil) on your scalp then using conditioner (NOT shampoo) to wash it out. That will exfoliate all the cells off the scalp.

melusine963
January 10th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Some LHCers have good luck mixing brown sugar with a bit of conditioner to make a paste (a bit like a body scrub) and using that to exfoliate their scalp. Warm water should be enough to dissolve the sugar and rinse the whole lot out.

Synnovea
January 10th, 2013, 02:05 PM
If you're interested in a more conventional exfoliant, Aveda has a newish line called Invati in which the shampoo is designed specifically to exfoliate the scalp; however, it's a pretty penny.

ladyfey
January 10th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Some LHCers have good luck mixing brown sugar with a bit of conditioner to make a paste (a bit like a body scrub) and using that to exfoliate their scalp. Warm water should be enough to dissolve the sugar and rinse the whole lot out.

I do this, with some oatmeal added. I put the oatmeal in the blender so it becomes powder and add the brpwn sugar, then put in enough conditioner to make a paste. I rub it on my dry scalp and then wash and condition as normal. The tiny bits of oatmeal do cling in the hair until it dries, but then fall right out! It really takes the extra crap off my scalp.

Vivalagina
January 10th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Just last night I mixed about 1/4 c. brown sugar with some squirts of my Everyday Shea conditioner to exfoliate my scalp. I mixed it up into a paste with my finger, wet my hair with water, then took a scoop with my finger and started applying it to my scalp in sections. Once it was all there I gentle smoosh it against my scalp for a minute or so, then rinsed until it felt like it was all gone, then S+C as normal. I did add a diluted white vinegar rinse after I shampooed. My scalp feels much happier today and it took maybe 5 minutes extra.

Nebulae
January 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I made a scrub with brown sugar, finely ground oatmeal and conditioner a couple times for my itchy flaky scalp. Make sure the oatmeal is really finely ground though, and rinse well, or you will pick pieces of it from your hair later like I did the first time... :D
I think it was two teaspoons of sugar and oatmeal, I dont remember how much conditioner but really just use as much as you like to give it a good consistency. I bet you can find the recipe if you google it.
I tried once to soak my scalp in coconut oil before the scrub, it soothed my scalp but I don't remember it doing much of a difference to the result. But it might be worth a try if you like. :)
What it did for me was get rid of the dry flakes for a few days. My scalp felt really fresh and squeaky clean too, which was nice. I made the scrub, got in the shower to wet my hair, then smeared the scrub on my scalp and massaged it around. Scrub for a few minutes, rinse well and then shower as usual.
HTH!

AnqeIicDemise
January 10th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I should try this to get rid of flakies instead of trying to switch shampoos and make my scalp an oil slick

LornaDoone
January 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I mix sugar with a little coconut oil to scrub my scalp. I prefer brown sugar over white because it is clumpy and not loose like white sugar. It takes less oil to get a good consistency.

Braidmaid83
January 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I did this the other day with brown sugar and olive oil. The olive oil was a bit heavy! It felt great, no flakes for a few days. Anyone know if this is a bad idea for dandruff that might be caused by yeast, would this be "feeding" the yeast?

Happytresses
January 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice. This will be my weekend hair project. I just really need to get rid of the flakes.

TheHowlingWolf
January 10th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I just tried a sugar scrub! Like 5 minutes ago lol. I mixed brown sugar with Giovanni's Tea Tree conditioner (1:1 ratio I think, I just eyeballed it) & tried to apply it evenly on my scalp. I applied it on dry hair. It was kind of hard to work in because my hair kept getting tangled even though I just detangled it. Then I just rinsed it out with water and now I'm co washing. It's kind of hard to tell how well it worked (since I'm sitting here with conditioner on my scalp), maybe I'll do an update.

TheHowlingWolf
January 10th, 2013, 08:08 PM
If you're interested in a more conventional exfoliant, Aveda has a newish line called Invati in which the shampoo is designed specifically to exfoliate the scalp; however, it's a pretty penny.

I've been thinking about trying the shampoo! But I've heard mixed reviews.

sadia
January 10th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Does this have the potential to cause tearing to the hair strands near the scalp?

sadia
January 10th, 2013, 09:08 PM
I just tried this out. I took a few tablespoons of brown sugar, a big squirt of honey and slowly added in some lemon juice until the mixture got to the consistency that I wanted. Went into the shower, wet my hair, detangled, flipped hair over and started working the scrub into the scalp and massaged gently. I did it for a few minutes and then rinsed my hair out. My scalp feels cleaner and I hope it got a good exfoliation. I would be better able to tell how well it worked once my head is fully dry.

TheHowlingWolf
January 10th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Does this have the potential to cause tearing to the hair strands near the scalp?

I'm paranoid now lol. When I took a shower, I did notice more shedding? But my scalp does feel really clean and not itchy like it normally is.

sadia
January 11th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I didnt notice any more or less shedding than I usually get. I was very gentle with it.

Mrs.Witherup
January 11th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I just did this today but with a little packet of stuff I found at Sally's by Ion. It was easy and felt good. Waiting on my hair to dry to see how well it worked!

TheHowlingWolf
January 11th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I was gentle too. Hmm idk. Also, I spoke too soon, my scalp is starting to itch again. But it does feel cleaner.

Springpaw
January 13th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I would really like to try this out, but I don't have any brown sugar. Would it be doable with white sugar? :)

HairFaerie
January 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I use organic cane sugar from the health food store. The crystals are bigger than regular sugar. I mix it with various oil and add a bit of tea tree oil. I love it! I only use it about once a month. I do notice a lot of hair in the drain cover after I do it, but I figure those hairs were probably about ready to come out anyway. It makes my scalp feel great, plus my hair is nice and shiny. I think as long as you are gentle and don't do it too often, it shouldn't cause damage.