PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on essential oils

sharoleb
January 10th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Hello,

I've been dabbling into essential oils, and after TONS of reading and research I've found some great uses and want to start putting my plan into action. Since I want to use them to improve my health and/or replace conventional chemicals - I want to purchase high quality EOs. This is where I'm kind of stumped.

From this board, I've discovered some great brands, namely: Chagrin Valley and Mountain Rose Herbs. Both impressive, wholesome companies. And bonus - Mt Rose Herbs is fairly local to me. I've got my wish list at Mt Rose Herbs all ready to go, in fact several wish lists are saved. I'm just waiting for payday to purchase.

And then I hit a brick wall.

I got to talking with a co-worker about natural beauty products, and as it turns out she sells doTerra essential oils. So I went to a little get together and heard the shpiel, read every scrap of literature I could get my hands on. And I've been trying for a month to figure out if their prices are worth it. They are EXPENSIVE! I've searched the internet, blogs, reviews etc. etc. and, though I am usually good at researching products, I can't seem to wade through all the marketing hype. It's REALLY hard to tell if people are so thrilled with the oils because they are making a profit selling them, or if they're really just that great.

From everything I've read, Mt Rose Herbs is great. Except when bloggers are comparing them to doTerra, then MRH is bashed, which I chalk up to marketing hype and what seems to be doTerra's strategy.

I started using rosemary and lavender to help combat excessive shedding and (hopefully) regrow my hair. Obviously I want to put good quality products on my head, also on my skin etc. I would love to get as many opinions as possible on how folks feel about these two brands. Please no pushy sales people though - my co-worker is already stopping by my desk several times a week to talk about doTerra.

Currently, my plan is to continue with my MRH order on payday, and request MSDS sheets as well as the gas chromatography analysis and specifications for each item I order. I then plan on comparing it to doTerra, IF the consultants can provide that info.

Thank you so much!

Sillage
January 10th, 2013, 12:57 PM
DoTerra is wildly overpriced and nothing special. Go with MRH.

sharoleb
January 10th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Thank you. I appreciate having others confirm what I was thinking.

HairFaerie
January 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I use essential oils ALOT. I have had great results with Aura Cacia, NOW Brand and Nature's Alchemy essential oils. You can find them on Amazon for WAY cheaper than MRH and some of those other essential oils sites. To me, MRH's prices were ridiculous! Just my opinion...
There are some really cheap brands that don't smell as good because they use different parts of the plants and it affects the quality of the scent. It's personal preference at that point and how much you are willing to spend.

Irish Fae
January 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I use and study essential oils, and I absolutely love Eden's Garden oils. You can find them on Amazon or order them directly from the company. Personally, I think they are very much worth the price.

SerinaDaith
January 10th, 2013, 08:31 PM
If you feel that doTerra is using slander in there campaign can you really support them with your money? Just a thought. Other then that I really don't have much of an opinion as far as oils and companies go since I just haven't done enough research yet.

jillosity
January 10th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Mountain Rose all the way, been purchasing from them for way over a decade, they are QUALITY! keep in mind that some EO's are more expensive than others, Rose or Jasmine for example, if a company is selling them for cheap you can be certain they're adulterated in some way, or diluted to the point of no longer being effective.

sedonia
January 11th, 2013, 06:57 AM
DoTerra seems to be a multi-level marketing company, aka a pyramid scheme. In my experience, products from these kinds of companies are always overpriced, and the glowing reviews are probably mostly fake.

Companies that provide gcms analyses are probably reputable, although really there is nothing to stop a nonreputable company from doctoring them up or faking them.

renia22
January 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM
My vote is for Mountain Rose Herbs. I've been using their products for many years. Sometimes I stray and go for cheaper, but when I want the best quality, I go to back to Mountain Rose Herbs.

sharoleb
January 11th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks to everyone. I like hearing others confirm what I was thinking. Especially when there is nothing in it for you all, that makes the opinions more clear.

I wasn't positive that doTerra was slandering, that was just my observation. And it was usually in the form of blogs - that seemed fakey - but I had a hard time determining if that was an individual's honest opinion (I'm thinking not). I like to research new companies because I do believe my $$ does the "voting" for me, and I prefer to support good companies. And on some level, I don't mind shelling out a bit more because I do believe I often get what I pay for.

I had never heard of Eden's Garden, I will check them out. Thank you for the referral! I honestly think MRH prices were very fair, but I am new to essential oils in general.

Thanks all! I can't wait to submit my MRH order. YAY!

sharoleb
January 11th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah - good to hear Aura Cacia and NOW are good - that's what I started with. I ran out of my NOW lavender, that's what started this search originally. I want to branch out a little from just my lavender and rosemary. :) I will also look into Nature's Alchemy. Thanks!

PixxieStix
January 11th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I'm looking into getting some organic Rosemary essential oil from MRH, as *gasp*, I just used the last of my last bottle purchased from a local distillery tonight. I use the stuff several times a week in my scalp massages, started a couple months ago and am hoping to see some results this time next year, hopefully, if I use the good stuff. MRH has a good reputation and comes highly recommended, so they are where I'll be purchasing my next few ounces. :) Never did any research on the stuff I was using, so I don't know if it's good or not, so I figured I'd make the switch to one I knew was trusted by so many others.

bunnylake
January 11th, 2013, 08:52 PM
I use Aura Cacia and Natures Alchemy and I feel they are very effective and affordable