PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to trim...and hair typing! [up-to-date pics!]

joflakes
January 10th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Here's my dilemma!

I'm not sure if I should have a trim or not. I last had a little trim in May 2012. I've been doing well but I have seen a few splits at the front of my hair - mainly white dots.

My hair looks nice as it is, but the parts I have found the white dots in are the face framing layers which I am keen not to cut as I hate them! =/

However, I don't want to have longer hair but hair that is in bad condition.

Here are some photos (it looks dry but doesn't feel it, I think it's just a product of my mental hair type!):

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jobrookman/Mexico/JohairJan2013.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jobrookman/Mexico/JohairJan2013-2.jpg

Also, if anyone could hair type me, that'd be awesome! The second photo is closest to when it had just been washed. No brushing happened!

Thanks for looking, any advice is welcome!

eros
January 10th, 2013, 09:13 AM
if theres only a few splits, don't trim. just do a little dusting on the front layers. cut off the split ends only. a trim would probably be overkill, anyway :)

Chromis
January 10th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I'd say to keep growing, but S&D as you see the splits. If you trim now, it would be much harder to put your hair up! I'd put it up for now and trim in a couple more inches perhaps instead. Then those layers will be easier to reach and not as bothersome. How much shorter are they than your hemline? Where they razored? If the white dots are mostly in those layers, it sounds like there might have been dull shears used.

joflakes
January 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Hmm, they're about an inch past my chin when it is all wurly. So I guess 4 inches shorter?

I don't think that they were razored when I got it cut...not than I can remember, anyway. I haven't had them trimmed in over a year now though...I only have the bulk cut normally!

I will do a seek and destroy!

Any ideas on hair type, anyone?

Chromis
January 10th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'm not even sure I have my own hairtype right, so no help there I'm afraid. Four inches of difference shouldn't be too bad at least. I'd grow out to APL before doing any big cuts (and by big I mean more than an inch) and then it will be a lot easier to see what kind of hemline your hair is forming too. Wurly hair often acts a little differently once it has some weight to it, so even if the ends were perfect now, they sometimes look uneven a few inches later. It does look like your hair is forming some nice loose curls though!

Mya
January 10th, 2013, 03:47 PM
It's not easy to tell from your small pics, but looking at how your hair curls in the last one I'd say you are a 2c/3a. Hard to tell though. You have several loose waves too.

joflakes
January 10th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I'm not even sure I have my own hairtype right, so no help there I'm afraid. Four inches of difference shouldn't be too bad at least. I'd grow out to APL before doing any big cuts (and by big I mean more than an inch) and then it will be a lot easier to see what kind of hemline your hair is forming too. Wurly hair often acts a little differently once it has some weight to it, so even if the ends were perfect now, they sometimes look uneven a few inches later. It does look like your hair is forming some nice loose curls though!

Yeah I was thinking APL before anything major. I'm not feeling the urge, just wondering what the right thing to do is! Good point about the wurly..! Yeah it does look nice sometimes. It's just if I don't have time to wurl it about my fingers then air dry it, it goes all crazy!

It's not easy to tell from your small pics, but looking at how your hair curls in the last one I'd say you are a 2c/3a. Hard to tell though. You have several loose waves too.

Thanks Mya. :)

Mya
January 10th, 2013, 04:27 PM
You're welcome. :)

jacqueline101
January 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I would search and destroy the splits or white dots.

jojo
January 10th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Id do a S&d, hair type i cant see any waves, maybe put a photo which shows your hair better, going off of your second photo id put you as a 1c but its difficult to see.

joflakes
January 11th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Thanks both! I guess a S&D it is.

Only thing is that I have no scissors that would work well..

MintChocChip
January 11th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Yep, another vote for S & D just on those white dots! Your hair is looking lovely by the way! It's got so long! :)

I bought some hair scissors just from Boots and they seem to be working okay. :D

joflakes
January 11th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Yep, another vote for S & D just on those white dots! Your hair is looking lovely by the way! It's got so long! :)

I bought some hair scissors just from Boots and they seem to be working okay. :D

Aww, thanks! I just dyed the gingery bits bright red with a veggie dye and it looks even better! =)

Were they a lot of money? Might have to invest..

MintChocChip
January 11th, 2013, 03:26 AM
These were the ones I bought:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Salon-Performance-Professional-Hair-Scissors_1253711/

I don't think it's all that expensive, especially if you're not going to go to a hairdresser anymore. But, I'm sure you can get better ones. But, yeah they seem to do the job for me! :D

joflakes
January 11th, 2013, 03:46 AM
These were the ones I bought:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Salon-Performance-Professional-Hair-Scissors_1253711/

I don't think it's all that expensive, especially if you're not going to go to a hairdresser anymore. But, I'm sure you can get better ones. But, yeah they seem to do the job for me! :D

They do look quite good! Thanks. I did have a set with some thinning scissors (which are great for fringe trims!) but I can't find them anywhere, now I've moved house. So annoying! Luckily my hairdresser (despite the fact that I've not paid for a service there for ages and ages) does free fringe trims...but I do prefer to DIY if I'm honest.

I might pop to town later on and check them out. I'm impatient! =)