PDA

View Full Version : Help! I got the greasies!

AnqeIicDemise
January 10th, 2013, 02:18 AM
And its something awful compared to my usual nothingness.

I've been on the same routine for over a year now. CWC with a mild sulfate shampoo (balancing actually) and silicone free conditioner. I condition ears and below, air dry (sometimes if its too cold blow dry), oil the tips then put it up and viola. I could stretch a wash a week easy. When I was working out I had to do it twice a week.

Around November I noticed my scalp was dry and itchy so I tried changing shampoos to a hydrating one. It had too many oils and the smell gave me migraines so I returned it, got a bottle of my usual and called it a day.

I promptly clarified as my hair felt coated. I diluted the shampoo in another bottle and used this to see if it was the sulfates drying out my scalp. It wasn't, so I just kind of went back to full strength shampoo and made sure to avoid the blow drying. I figure the constant heat in the house, work and car were culprits. Sure enough, flakies went away once I started regulating the heat in the house and car, as well as timing my wash day on an early work day/day off so I could air dry.

Cut to now.

For the last two weeks I've been waking up on day 2 after a wash with my hair looking like I have not washed it in months. Its an oil slick. The roots and scalp feel coated and gross.

All I've done was switch conditioners but.. again.. I use the conditioner ear and below.

I thought it was all in my head until DH was running his hands through my hair today and commented how the hair at the roots feel coated, thick and oily but the bottoms feel fine.

I'm confused, wth? What should I do?

Hypnotica
January 10th, 2013, 04:10 AM
I get this sometimes with my mild schampoo. I just crank out some full strenght poo, lather up twice and it is gone again. It usually happens when the weather is going through a major change or there is a season change.

bunzfan
January 10th, 2013, 04:24 AM
My hair has been like this for about a year and i figured i should just leave it but, then i tried a color before clarify shampoo left it on for 20 instead of the recommend 5 and i have my normal textured hair . In my opinion a lot of the clarifying shampoos out there are just not strong enough if you have major build up.

Kwantslonghair
January 10th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Mine is doing this. It looks dry n frizzy while its air drying but then in 4 hours it looks like I didn't wash for months. Roots down to ears just looks nasty.

cranberrymoonz
January 10th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Check your products. If you want to use a mild sulfate free shampoo, you need to go completely silicone free too, or you will get build-up. I very much recommend this methode. It works perfectly for me. (I can get away with washing once a week too)
For now, I recommend clarifying with a basic cone-free sulfate shampoo.

It's a different story if you have severely damaged hair, then you will simply need cones. (and sulfates to wash them away and prevent build-up...)

Kelikea
January 10th, 2013, 05:54 AM
i have had good luck with Garnier Pure clean shampoo, for more daily use, or Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree shampoo, for a good clarify. With either I have to use just a tiny bit, and work in some water as I'm lathering. I only lather near the scalp, then let it rinse down the length. The lemon tea tree can be a bit drying, but is good at clearing up the greasies.

cranberrymoonz
January 10th, 2013, 06:00 AM
i have had good luck with Garnier Pure clean shampoo, for more daily use

Using a sulfate shampoo every day sounds like a bad idea to me, especially if you can strech your washes to a week.

faellen
January 10th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I sympathise, as I get the greasies too :( It's why I can't use milder shampoos anymore. Going SLS free was a nightmare, and I can't let any kind of conditioner go anywhere near my roots! Unfortunately I also get dry ends so balancing it is a nightmare!

Hypnotica
January 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Check your products. If you want to use a mild sulfate free shampoo, you need to go completely silicone free too, or you will get build-up. I very much recommend this methode. It works perfectly for me. (I can get away with washing once a week too)

It's a different story if you have severely damaged hair, then you will simply need cones. (and sulfates to wash them away and prevent build-up...)

No true for all - I get build-up no matter what kind of conditioner I use. Most of the time it comes faster if I use a rich cone-free conditioner.

AnqeIicDemise
January 10th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I get this sometimes with my mild schampoo. I just crank out some full strenght poo, lather up twice and it is gone again. It usually happens when the weather is going through a major change or there is a season change.

Well, I suppose it can be true. It supposed to snow sometime this week. Its been getting colder each day.

My hair has been like this for about a year and i figured i should just leave it but, then i tried a color before clarify shampoo left it on for 20 instead of the recommend 5 and i have my normal textured hair . In my opinion a lot of the clarifying shampoos out there are just not strong enough if you have major build up.

Might be too. The clarifying shampoo I used was just that, clarifying shampoo. I usually take a bit of BS and mix it with my mild shampoo and use that instead. I just didn't feel like dragging myself to the kitchen that day.

heck your products. If you want to use a mild sulfate free shampoo, you need to go completely silicone free too, or you will get build-up. I very much recommend this methode. It works perfectly for me. (I can get away with washing once a week too)

I specifically got this conditioner because it *is* silicone free and it smells better than my old one. Besides, the greasy, gross, thick feeling is only at the roots *to* the ears which is the part that doesn't get any conditioner on. The parts where I slap on the condish, ears & below is fine. I'm having a root issue. I've also been using the same shampoo for a year so I'm really confused. e.e

I sympathise, as I get the greasies too It's why I can't use milder shampoos anymore. Going SLS free was a nightmare, and I can't let any kind of conditioner go anywhere near my roots! Unfortunately I also get dry ends so balancing it is a nightmare!

Yeah, I know. It took me like six months to get somewhere decent ish at first. I thought after a year it'd be fine.

ravenreed
January 10th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I CO because I find it is the most effective at removing oils from my hair without stripping it. I go right to the scalp. When I use shampoo of any sort on my scalp it dries it out and causes it to go into oil-overproduction mode, leaving me with flakes and an oil slick. So when I do shampoo I usually only do it from the ears down. Perhaps your scalp just needs some moisture too?

spidermom
January 10th, 2013, 12:25 PM
The last time I had a serious case of the greasies, I washed as usual with diluted shampoo, but repeated, and combed over my entire scalp with my shower comb (one direction only). Maybe you should do conditioner from shoulder down instead of ear down.

AnqeIicDemise
January 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I CO because I find it is the most effective at removing oils from my hair without stripping it. I go right to the scalp. When I use shampoo of any sort on my scalp it dries it out and causes it to go into oil-overproduction mode, leaving me with flakes and an oil slick. So when I do shampoo I usually only do it from the ears down. Perhaps your scalp just needs some moisture too?

You know, I haven't done that in some time. I think I'll try it again today. My scalp was super dry and itchy in November (hence why I got a moisturizing shampoo but that had **** ton cones in it too and stunk to high heaven.) so that could be it ... hmm..

The last time I had a serious case of the greasies, I washed as usual with diluted shampoo, but repeated, and combed over my entire scalp with my shower comb (one direction only). Maybe you should do conditioner from shoulder down instead of ear down.

I don't know how putting condish shoulders and below would help any when the conditioner doesn't even touch the roots ear and below. Like, the greasiest part is right at my bangs and crown.

akilina
January 10th, 2013, 03:36 PM

I am only here to lurk because I have greasy problems as well.... But I will have to give CO a try again. Ive been using SLS free diluted..and it works okay but now my scalp is getting really dry and has sores.
I need to re-find a good conditioner again though...

ravenreed
January 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Ow! What about oiling your scalp? I do that every month or so when my scalp gets itchy and dry. Then I CO it out.

ETA: I don't know how my hair can be oily and my scalp dry, but my silly system manages it.

I am only here to lurk because I have greasy problems as well.... But I will have to give CO a try again. Ive been using SLS free diluted..and it works okay but now my scalp is getting really dry and has sores.
I need to re-find a good conditioner again though...

spidermom
January 10th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I don't know how putting condish shoulders and below would help any when the conditioner doesn't even touch the roots ear and below. Like, the greasiest part is right at my bangs and crown.

I was thinking along the lines of less conditioner in general.

akilina
January 10th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Ow! What about oiling your scalp? I do that every month or so when my scalp gets itchy and dry. Then I CO it out.

ETA: I don't know how my hair can be oily and my scalp dry, but my silly system manages it.

I love oiling my scalp :] I try to do it at least twice a week actually..or 3 times. With castor oil and coconut oil.
My hair has honestly been like this my whole life. I can't stretch washes and I have accepted it.. I am just trying to perfect my routine still...
I was going to mention....today I used a cleansing conditioner (Salon Graphix) and I forgot how much I loved it. Some say its the same as CO washing but I like this much more than CO. And it smells good :) No sores or dry scalp today.

AnqeIicDemise
January 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM
as in S&C only instead of CWC? When I S&C my ends get super dry.

What I've been doing is doing the conditioning part, ears down to tips, letting it sit, rinse out. Shampoo roots, massage scalp, then whatever was left would be squeezed down the length to about shoulders, rinse, then condition ears down to tips a second time. Its cut back on the splitting considerably and all was fine in scalp land in over a year.

Anyhow, I tried the CO today. It feels okayish while wet, we'll see how it feels dry. Last time I tried COing I wound up with an oil slick the next day versus how it is now on the second day hair.

ravenreed
January 10th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I have a little juggling act I do because what my scalp needs is often completely different from what my hair needs. Surely there is a happy medium somewhere but I have yet to find it.

as in S&C only instead of CWC? When I S&C my ends get super dry.

What I've been doing is doing the conditioning part, ears down to tips, letting it sit, rinse out. Shampoo roots, massage scalp, then whatever was left would be squeezed down the length to about shoulders, rinse, then condition ears down to tips a second time. Its cut back on the splitting considerably and all was fine in scalp land in over a year.

Anyhow, I tried the CO today. It feels okayish while wet, we'll see how it feels dry. Last time I tried COing I wound up with an oil slick the next day versus how it is now on the second day hair.

Kelikea
January 11th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Using a sulfate shampoo every day sounds like a bad idea to me, especially if you can strech your washes to a week.

I don't use it everyday, it is just the one I use most often. I wasn't even trying to suggest using it everyday. Maybe my wording is off. It is my go-to shampoo, then if I need something even more clarifying, I use the lemon tea tree? The lemon tea tree is sulfate free, but the pure clean seems a lot more gentle.

Kelikea
January 11th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I second the idea of CWC, if you can find products that you like. Sometimes the CO can help re-balance your scalp. I also like to finish with a mild vinegar rinse.

AnqeIicDemise
January 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Alright, update time!

Today is day 2 of CO wash. I tried it yesterday and while the itch and flakes were gone like 99% (I know its not dandruff because dandruff shampoos makes the flakyness of my scalp worse! Oh and the itch! It makes me feel like I'm infested with lice!) it was an oilish mess when I woke up and it was a huge slick by the time I got home from work. I noticed it was drying weirdly (like still feeling damp) even after air drying for five hours so I have a hankering that I didn't rinse it out properly. I keep forgetting mermaid rinses aren't that great when the person doing them has a fear of water in her ear. Keeping my ears plugged while submerging and removing the mess doesn't work very well.

Anyhow, I decided to give it another try, this time on wet hair.

I stood under the shower head and let my hair get soaked completely before dumping a handful of conditioner. I let it sit while I scrubbed my face and body.. Then I did what I normally do when shampooing: massage the bejeebus out of my head. Two thoughts on this: it actually feels a lot better with conditioner despite the fact that it feels like nothing's going on. I lost a lot less hair this time around than when I used to S&C daily. I was even more thorough on the massage!!

I also let my head hang under the shower head for about five minutes and when I felt that was enough I made sure to rub my scalp again then do The Squish. Just to make doubly sure I did the 'scritching' pinch and pull which I'm not too fond of doing with Shampoo. It just feels like I'm tearing my hair out with shampoo, even if its not being done during the rinse.

Right now I'm sitting here in a turban to get the excess drip moisture out. My widow's peak is sticking out from the towel and usually there's a bunch of flakes still. I always felt it was residual shampoo because I don't like to tilt my head back into the shower and I forget to turn around to let the water hit my forehead. (I have a very low forehead). My widows peak is usually really itchy too, hence reason 2 of 3 that I decided to cut bangs in. Having bangs hid the problem pretty effectively. Right now, I have 0 flakes. Sometimes, I could see zero flakes and rub my finger against the itch only to end up flaking a ton of dried skin/residue off. I've even done The Dumb Thing and scratched with my nail just to make sure and nada.

So, provided that I don't become an oil slick by tomorrow, I think I found the problem.

AnqeIicDemise
January 12th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Nope. Didn't work. Top of the head was fine. Underside is greasy,greasy.. like day 2 hair but a mere four hours after washing. :(

AnqeIicDemise
January 12th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Update 3: I GAVE UP!

I tried blow drying to speed up the drying process because it was taking longer than usual. Turns out my hair was so greasy it looked WET. Although I took forever rinsing it out. Frustrated, I clarified. As I was rinsing out the shampoo I remembered a conversation with a friend who told me how to find out if I had hard water or soft water without a test strip. Turns out I have hard water. (When I boil water my pots have a white ring from where water evaporates and vases usually have a ring as well. Don't get me started on the ring on the toilet. I haven't been able to get that one out at all!)

So I decided to chelate. I know I did it backwards. Chelate first, THEN clarify... but this was an after thought.

After that, globbed on the conditioner then finished with one last vinegar rinse.

Since its late and I'm tired I blew dry on low. Scalp is itchy and flaky again (grrRr! Can't blame it!) but my hair is soft, shiny and not greasy. OH and I discovered SILVERS. Since the mineral deposit was removed from them they now stick out like stars on a night sky. I only have like three in a little cluster at the top of my head and one at my right temple. They're so pretty. :crush:

Except I'm not even 30 yet so I'm a little alarmed. But.. they're so pretty! :crush: They're not white. They're not grey. They're SILVER.

-sigh- I still need to do something about my scalp, damn it. I hate looking like a dandruff queen.

ETA: I think I just discovered the culprit of the greasies. I've been using this hair lotion from work that someone gave me. Its been a hair saver but its got quite a bit of heavy oils and it has oooone (or two, can't remember) silicone just at the ends, I've put it on my scalp a few times to soothe the itch. :slap: The low sulfate shampoo wasn't cutting it.

I remembered it just now when I turned around to grab it, couldn't find it, and decided to go for the coconut oil instead to put in my ends. As a habit I took what was left on my hands and rub it into the itchiest part Yup. Yup. Demise is a dumb-dumb. I've been doing this since I clarified after Stinky Shampoo of Silicone Death. Its the ONE thing I've done differently than the last 15 months. 'doh!

akilina
January 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
It sounds like you have came to a conclusion, but I wanted to pop in and mention that I have washed every other day with that Salon Graphix conditioning cleanser the last two washes and I have to say I am very satisfied. Its a whole world better than CO.
My hair stays really moisturized and its helped how my scalp was a mess. I haven't gotten greasy at all. My hair just feels smooth and moisturized when before it was super dry on the ends and greasy at scalp.

Unfortunately..I only have maybe 2 washes left of the bottle.. I couldn't find it anywhere last night and got Shea moisture shampoo instead...and a new one I have not tried yet....Herbal Essences Honey Im strong..
Have not washed yet but I am curious to see how they work out together.

AnqeIicDemise
January 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM
My scalp is still a mess and im willing to try co again. Just perhaps with a different conditioner as im now dangerously low on this one.