PDA

View Full Version : Unrealistic expectations?

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Okay, I'm sorry for posting yet another semi-whiny thread, but I was THIS close to crying over my hair today. It is just so dry, especially the canopy.

I haven't been heat styling in so long, and my hair is no softer than it was before. In fact, it just feels more and more crunchy and I think Henna really had a lot to do with it. I am THIS close to cutting my hair off. It's whole PH balance is messed up or something; it's always either too crunchy or too greasy to wear down. I am going to do an SMT once I have time to find a natural food store and pure aloe, but who knows if that will help much.

At not-even-APL, I don't want to have to wear my hair up every day. Is this unrealistic? I want to be able to wear my hair down; that's the reason my goal is waist and probably not much longer. But at this rate, my hair is probably breaking off anyway, because I see a lot of little wispies sticking out despite my comb-only, minimal-cones routine.

To make matters worse, my hair has suddenly stopped curling!

I was thinking about going back to weekly heat styling because at least I would be doing *Something* to make my hair look and feel better... more comfortable...

You know, even if I just reach BSL, I'll be happy... I'm not looking for classic length here right now... I just feel like something about my hair type is just inherently ugly and wrong... it's always super dry or super greasy, but not even soft greasy... it's as though I dunked my head in gasoline or something...

ROUTINE: CO with Burt's Bees Super Shine, clarify when I need it, with Pantene clear stuff, and sometimes, Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (has cones, but actually seems to work better than CO)
Henna: Lush Caca Brun (will never henna again!)
No oils as they make me crunchy right now. No hairstyling products at all.
Towel dry, comb with wide tooth plastic comb, and air dry in a bun.

Nightshade
August 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Ah, sweetie, hang in there.

Have you tried Fox's shea conditioning cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586)? That worked for me when SMT and aloe and oils in any combination did jack for my dry, damaged ends.

What's your current routine? That may help us some :)

Lamb
August 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hmmm, what Nightshade said, and make sure you eat right. Not eating enough fats and proteins can mess your hair/skin up big time.
BTW, I remember your other thread, a couple of people suggested that you clarify - did you? With what results?

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Yep, I clarified all my length. Did nothing.

Also, I haven't been eating enough (really poor right now!) but my skin is fine, actually my skin is better than it's been in a while if a bit greasier than usual.

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Oh--one more thing that might be causing this--I've been self trimming with a pair of standard (not meant for hair, necessarily) shears. Do you think this could somehow be causing breakage?

Honey39
August 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hmmm - I get MASSIVE frizz, and the thing that made my hair totally frizz free was the SMT treatment. It was the best thing I have ever tried!

Couple of things that help me wear my hair down: wash hair, smooth through some AVG (lightly!) at the top and canopy, then damp bun for a couple of hours, and then let down to dry the rest of the way *without touching it* - that has given me good results, smooth waves.

The other thing I do is to wash, turbie dry for half an hour, and then scrunch the curl and then again LEAVE ALONE!!! That gets me quite good results too.

Basically, my new discovery since I joined LHC has been that my hair can take a lot (oil, treatments etc), but it hates being touched and fiddled with (and as for brushing and combing, perish the thought!).

Sorry, that's not much help, is it? Telling you to leave it alone! But i have found out that having wurly hair means that we have to not play with it too much.

I know what you mean though - I want longer hair and I want it DOWN!!! Good luck, your hair looks gorgeous in your pic.

Lamb
August 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I find that whenever my skin or my hair are just out of whack, too oily/dry/anything, it is a sign of more than a skin/hair problem. Usually not enough exercise, a poor diet, stress, lack of sleep, whatever. Also, the season change (from summer to winter) is a limbo-period.
Have you read Kirin's article on diagnosing your hair problems? Very useful!

Ohio Sky
August 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I noticed one thing- you mentioned no cones as if that's the best thing to do for your hair, but then you say Long term Relationship works for you.

Perhaps your hair likes cones?

My hair was exactly like yours last time I tried to go no-cones and the second I went back it was manageable again.

Cones are not inherently evil, as I keep reminding people.... :p

Euphony
August 25th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Cones are not inherently evil, as I keep reminding people.... :p
Nope they absolutely aren't! I switch around occasionally. Once in a great while I try cones again - I did at last wash...I'm seriously itching to wash my hair tonight to get rid of the dry feeling ends. But I gotta try cones on occasion, just to see how it goes.

spidermom
August 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I wore my hair down almost all the time at APL. I only put it up if I was hot or doing dirty work around the house/yard. I don't think it's unrealistic at all.

It sounds like you have already done everything that I would suggest. All I can think to add is that if you want to do some heat styling, keep the heat as low as possible and condition the heck out of your hair. For instance, when I blow dry, I make sure to add coconut oil to the ends. I feel the heat helps it to penetrate and condition.

Oh - I just thought of something. Try a protein treatment followed by a moisture treatment. Sometimes your hair is so broken down from abuse that it simply can't absorb any moisture, but if you feed it some amino acids, it might then accept the essential fatty acids (oil).

(PS--I think that henna is awful stuff. It made my virgin hair feel gritty and brittle. I only did it once, never again.)

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I think I'm going to try WO and maybe just scalp shampoos tonight. I think my hair doesn't like conditioner much right now.

Nightshade
August 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Oh--one more thing that might be causing this--I've been self trimming with a pair of standard (not meant for hair, necessarily) shears. Do you think this could somehow be causing breakage?

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_70/hair_twh_70_02.jpg

YES! Get thyself a pair of good (not expensive, just good) shears that are used for nothing but hair. Blunt scissors crush the end of the hair (above) rather than leaving a clean end. :)

prosperina
August 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
My hair hated burt's bees super shiny conditioner and shampoo. Hated it. Made my hair super dry. Just because it's natural and fairly pricey doesn't mean it's good.

I think you just might need to hang in there. Sounds like you're dealing with some damage, and that can be hard to manage. :) Also, some people's hair tends to hate henna. It's rare, but... :shrug:

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ok so heres what I did. I decided to take action instead of being depressed.
I washed my scalp with clarifying shampoo and just used water on the length. I finger detangled.
Then I went to the corner dollar store and bought hair shears. Then I gave myself a microtrim, mercilessly chopping off 1/2" in some places to even out or get rid of velcro ends.

My hair feels pretty great now. I don't know if the effects will last but it feels worlds better. Maybe, CO just isn't for me because my strands are coated with henna already. Maybe I'll go back to using cones. Whatever; I did what I could, and didn't really lose any length. :)

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Maybe the burt's bees isn't so great. It IS waxy in consistency, isn't it?

I do agree my hair exhibits signs of being damaged. Where I'm confused is where the damage comes from. I went through a brief period of using haircolor but I never bleached, except for Color Oops, if that counts. I never heat-styled that much.

anna1850
August 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
My hair feels pretty great now. I don't know if the effects will last but it feels worlds better. Maybe, CO just isn't for me because my strands are coated with henna already. Maybe I'll go back to using cones. Whatever; I did what I could, and didn't really lose any length. :)

I think CO is very overrated. It was one of the first things I tried when I got here and left my hair really icky after a couple of weeks and it needed washing everyday. Now I'm using a quite diluted shampoo, conditioner and ACV rinse and my hair's so much better. I remember there was a whole thread a while ago for people who didn't like CO and it got pretty long :)

I have read that henna can make hair less curly. At least if you wanted to grow out the henna you've found this out at a relatively early stage so it's not so much length to lose :shrug:

On the scissors thing, I just use embroidery scissors for S&D but the key is I never ever use them for anything else. I've heard cutting paper really blunts scissors so if you got some new ones it might be OK.

Kirin
August 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Sometimes what is supposed to be good for your hair, isn't. I found that out the hard way. I tried many things, and my hair hated it and rebelled to oblivion.

I do CO, however i ONLY use v05 kiwi lime squeeze or calming calmomile, anything else my hair freaks out. I shampoo with a clarifying shampoo once a week (v05 kiwi lime) and shampoo another time during the week with a dilluted shampoo. Pantene may or may not be all that "clarifying", a lot of their shampoos contain cones, which defeats the purpose if you ask me.

What really works for me is straight on henna ( i wouldn't use lush) and cholesterol treatments. Eghads, its not all natural! but hey, it works better than any SMT I've tried.

Chances are, your hair might be having issues with blunt scissors as you mentioned, and not liking the products you are using. Switch up the products if your hair starts feeling/going wonky.

plainjanegirl
August 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm so sorry and hope you can discover what works for your hair so you can be happy soon.
Don't feel bad about your whiny post. If you haven't noticed there have been alot of threads going on with members whining or griping about their hair (myself included). Maybe part of it is the season/weather? I hope so .

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm so sorry and hope you can discover what works for your hair so you can be happy soon.
Don't feel bad about your whiny post. If you haven't noticed there have been alot of threads going on with members whining or griping about their hair (myself included). Maybe part of it is the season/weather? I hope so .

Probably. Summer isn't that great for hair anyway. It is drying. People sweat. lol

Elenna
August 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
My hair was just like yours.

Try different products; what helped moi was coconut oil, and camellia oil. Wearing hair up helped too.

And be very careful about any heat: blow dryers, curling irons, straightening irons, etc. These gadgets can cause lots of damage and dryness.

Arctic
August 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
What kind of old damage you have in your hair, Tangles?

tinah
August 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
we seem to have similar hair types, and I found when i tried any "fancy" routines, my hair FLIPPED. it needs a moisterizing shampoo diluted, and sauve humectant, and gets really, really mad when i use anything else. I only shampoo the crown, haven't shampooed the length for years, and work the conditioner up from the ends, let it set for 5 minutes or so, then rinse really well. I comb wet, then *gasp* brush once it's dry. This routine seems to "bring out" the curl, at least it did when it was shorter. I don't know if this will help you, but i know the harder i tried to take care of my hair, the more it hated me.
p.s.- on the styling thing, have you tried the sponge rollers by scuncii? they are really easy to use, and flexible enough to sleep in.

Tangles
August 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
WAIT GUYS

Maybe my so-called clarifying shampoo DOES INDEED HAVE CONES!

I just checked and it has an ingredient like Methyl....one in it.

If so, this could be the reason why CO is making my hair so gross.

anna1850
August 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM
WAIT GUYS

It could be that. Although some cones are water soluble (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13). Or it could just be that CO doesn't work for most people.

Tap Dancer
August 26th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Maybe you can try some different shampoos and conditioners? I like Pantene but it doesn't seem to work well for everyone and I love the smell of Herbal Essences but it tends to dry my hair out if I use it too often.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 05:54 AM
WAIT GUYS

Tangles, does that ingredient end in -none? Then it's not silicone but a preservative.

maja04
August 26th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I'm glad that your hair is better after that treatment, and i hope it stays that way!

But just in case, how long time have you been noo poo'ing? I've been doing it for about a year now and my curly hair loves it (makes it curlier)but it took me some time to find a good conditioner. I found that to be the hardest part in this method, so don't be afraid to try lots of different ones. Some works wonders for some people while it's really bad for other, you have to find the best one for you.

If you still can't find one but you don't want to go back to schampoo I suggest that you try rhassoul clay, shikakai/amla or a schampoo w/o sulfates. The shikakai/amla mix made my hair really soft (too soft though) so maybe that can be something for you.

I cannot say anything about Henna but I do know that Cassia (which are supposed to have similar benefits as henna) dries out my hair (it's strenghtens the hair but strips it from oil and don't moisturize it at all) so i really need to to SMT and oil it after I've used it.

And as other people have said, give it some proteins, do an egg-treatment. My hair loved that in the beginning.

Or maybe it's just the season.

Good luck and hang in there, don't cut it. (I did yesterday, so now I have really short hair again, but now I can start over with new untreated hair).

Curlsgirl
August 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM
WAIT GUYS

I'm not sure you even NEED clarifying shampoo but maybe just a diluted SLS shampoo occasionally. The purpose of CO is so you keep moisture in your hair so that would almost be defeating the purpose. Pantene products do not agree with a lot of people here including me. Also I suggest using a bit of light leave-in conditioner (BWC is a great one) along with a drop or 2 of oil while dry. When you do COs are you rinsing VERY VERY well? That can make a huge difference too.

Katze
August 26th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Tangles, your posts remind me so much of mine, even a year ago. :flower:

I think you are doing too much and worrying too much. For me (my hair is finer than yours though, and my scalp is sensitive) JUST a simple CWC - WITH sulfates - gets my hair cleaner and happier than anything else. CO -yuk. Cones - Ok at first but killed my wave. WO - fine in small doses but just WO made my hair dull and lifeless.

In your case, you should just probably stick with a shampoo and conditioner that you like. Basic WC, CW, or CWC washing, with occasional oilings, mistings, conditioning treatments, whatever works for YOU, should be good.

The trim will probably help if you are getting rid of damage. It is so easy to damage hair, and healthy growth takes time. So try to be patient with yourself and your hair - it is growing!

Just to reassure you, I remember posting many threads like yours. I felt like my hair looked like crap and wasn't getting better. Early last Spring when I accidentally just washed with shampoo, no condish (see pic in 3/4 view with the barrette) I suddenly had shiny, thick-seeming, HAPPY hair, and it's just getting better the healthier it grows. Yes, the ends are thin. Yes, I've probably trimmed off two feet of growth since coming here. Yes, I still have two-toned ends that look BAD in updos, and frizz, and layers, and hair cleavage, and hair that is hard to make behave. BUT it's happier and healthier thanks to LHC. People are actually starting to comment on my hair and ask for my advice!

All this long post is meant to say that many of us HAVE been there and it DOES get better, even if you don't believe it at the moment.

hth!

walkinglady
August 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM
After reading through this thread I can only think of two things that have not already been stated. One, some people have a problem using honey in there hair. Two, introduce one product at a time. If you do this you'll learn what works and what does not work for your hair. I would stick with this one product for 10 to 14 days before you try something new. Of course if it makes your hair really bad before that, quit using it, you've found a problem product for your hair.

Tangles
August 26th, 2008, 04:55 PM
:blossom: to everyone who responded... I am a lot calmer about this today, and keeping busy definitely helps! I also think I need to be eating better and exercising more, which will a) make me feel more positive generally and b) in fact help with my hair growth.