PDA

View Full Version : How much should i asked to be trimmed to get rid of a deep u hem??

bunzfan
January 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Last time i got my hair cut 3 months ago the hairdresser said it would need to be cut into a u shape to even my hair out but, i hate how thin it makes the bottom of my braids i want a straight across hem but how much do i ask her to take off if its still in good condition but i want to grow it out?? and how do you trim it out?

I have no splits and its 3 months since my last cut but as its a deep u do you think if i asked for 0.5 cm off the sides and 1cm off the back that would give the sides a chance to catch up with the back?? i dont want a lot cut but i'm growing razzored(sp) out sides so this is my last trim for a good 5 months i hope once i reach TBL i can have it chopped to all one length.

HereIGrowAgain
January 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I have a deep U, and while it's not my favorite look, if I wanted to have a blunt hemline I would have to trim the back until it was even with the front. I think the back of mine grows a bit faster than the front, too. My plan is to continue to grow it, getting slightly more taken off the back than the front at each trim (once or twice a year), and then once the longest part hits tailbone, I'll maintain there until everything catches up.

So, basically, I think your plan will help you eventually get to a blunt hemline, but you won't solve the matter in one haircut unless you get a completely blunt cut.

jojo
January 8th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Your avatar photo shows a slight U shaped hemline, just ask her to trim your hemline using the same u shape. Ive asked for a U shaped hemline and they totally understood what i was getting at, though i haven't stepped foot in a salon myself in a good few years. If you want to go for a blunt, straight hemline looking again at your avatar id think you would need at least 3" to even the sides. I personally think a U shaped is very pretty and as long as its only a shallow one and not a deep one, it shouldn't potentially affect braids really.
Theres also the option of self trimming using the straight across method but only taking a bit of at a time, if you did this every few months, in 6 months time youd have your straight, blunt hemline and still pretty good growth, you grow 2" a month ( i think thats what you have said before) so even if you went straight for a blunt, the lost inches would be back before you know it!
Its hard choosing a hemline, for me i tend to go more for a U mainly because i think its softer looking, a blunt on me looks like a cape after a certain length, ive seen others with them that it looks lovely, up to the individual really. Good luck x

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I don't think the sides will catch up with the back unless you trim the ends and not the sides. If you do it the way you said it will also catch up, just that much slower. I also have the same problem. Let's hope we can both fix this.

bunzfan
January 9th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Thanks everyone, Jojo the back is waist+ and the sides are midback "just" so i believe thats where the taper comes from but thank you and to you to Lostlsoule77 i'm glad i'm not imagining it i will ask this new hairdresser (last one cut to much) how i can do it slowly without losing to much length i'm determined to get past hip this year .

Kelikea
January 9th, 2013, 05:32 AM
I got a deep U over 2 years ago and I still have a U. It takes a while for everything to catch up. But, it does make my hair a bit lighter than if it was blunt, so I don't get as many headaches as when it was hip and one-length.

Lostsoule77
January 9th, 2013, 06:42 AM
No worries. :) Are you trying to go for a totally blunt hem or a less severe U? If you are going for a less severe U & if your ends are fine then I'd just have her not touch the sides at all this trim. Just have her follow your current hemline on the bottom. Next time have her trim the whole thing. Follow in that pattern. Since you just had a trim 3 months ago your ends should be fine. Eventually your shallow U hemline at the bottom can become your hemline. Personally I think a U hemline is nicer than blunt, though your braides will still be thinner at the very end. You can remedy that by not braiding as far down and just having a longer tail. :D

Of course, if she's a good hair dresser and really wants to help you fix the hemline and grow your hair she'll have the best idea. This was just my 2 cents. ;)

bunzfan
January 9th, 2013, 08:11 AM
No worries. :) Are you trying to go for a totally blunt hem or a less severe U? If you are going for a less severe U & if your ends are fine then I'd just have her not touch the sides at all this trim. Just have her follow your current hemline on the bottom. Next time have her trim the whole thing. Follow in that pattern. Since you just had a trim 3 months ago your ends should be fine. Eventually your shallow U hemline at the bottom can become your hemline. Personally I think a U hemline is nicer than blunt, though your braides will still be thinner at the very end. You can remedy that by not braiding as far down and just having a longer tail. :D

Of course, if she's a good hair dresser and really wants to help you fix the hemline and grow your hair she'll have the best idea. This was just my 2 cents. ;)

I've always loved the really blunt hem :crush: so maybe 1 cm off the back 0.5 off the sides to keep them blunt because i'm growing out sliced hair :( and just leave it for a good 5-6 months hopefully by then i can have more off the back but still be past hip.

Chromis
January 9th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I'd get a good pair of hair scissors and self-trim. Your hair is long enough to make this super easy and it is very simple to trim just the longest bits in the middle. Then your sides can catch up better. You can also do a shallow u cut with Fey's Self Trim. Personally I would trim just those longest hairs since you would like it blunt and S&D frequently for the razored ends. If I understand correctly, they often cut into more than just the very bottom with razor anyhow.

bunzfan
January 9th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I'd get a good pair of hair scissors and self-trim. Your hair is long enough to make this super easy and it is very simple to trim just the longest bits in the middle. Then your sides can catch up better. You can also do a shallow u cut with Fey's Self Trim. Personally I would trim just those longest hairs since you would like it blunt and S&D frequently for the razored ends. If I understand correctly, they often cut into more than just the very bottom with razor anyhow.

Oh Chromis my friend thank you for such excellent advice as always :applause i think then in between now and the next 5-6 months i will get myself some nice sharp scissors and do exactly as you have suggested , i thought to grow out the thin razor bits it was best to keep them blunt?? or am i best leaving it alone and just s &d till its caught up?

Chromis
January 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Glad to help! :D

I'd leave them be until they catch up. (Other than trimming out splits as you see them) Optically, it will probably just look like more of a u-shape than it really is for a little while, but you'll only be able to tell when it is down. The sides should catch up a lot faster than way and then as you trim and they get longer, you will gradually be cutting more and more of the sides to until everything is caught up and blunted. I hope that makes sense still! I have a whole little cartoon illustration in my head, but that doesn't translate into text very well. :lol:

That's what I did originally when I was growing my hair out to keep from having a mullet. My ends weren't razored, but they had been cut with rather dull paper-type scissors for me by another gal in the barracks leading to similar damage rates. I also seem to go back a forth every couple of years from a u to blunt. Now it is so long that I keep it blunt, but it still looks like a u because the ends are so thin along the sides. Makes the cutting really simple at least!

jojo
January 9th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone, Jojo the back is waist+ and the sides are midback "just" so i believe thats where the taper comes from but thank you and to you to Lostlsoule77 i'm glad i'm not imagining it i will ask this new hairdresser (last one cut to much) how i can do it slowly without losing to much length i'm determined to get past hip this year .
Your welcome so your talking what 3" difference? Or one and a half months of growth. With only trimming twice a year you would still get to hip + even if you did go for equalling things up, you grow very fast the lost inches would soon be replaced by new growth or the other plan is to just keep maintaining, but not trimming the sides and just the bottom bit until the sides caught up, its as long as its broad really.
Also even with a blunt straight hem, tapering still happens in long hairs. You would have to maintain the length, for as long as it takes for the bulk to travel down, which can take a good few years. Ive maintained at waist for over two years due to tapering, my bulk was then at bsl, its taken all that time to catch up.
I personally think your U hemline is very pretty. :)

trolleypup
January 9th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Oh Chromis my friend thank you for such excellent advice as always :applause i think then in between now and the next 5-6 months i will get myself some nice sharp scissors and do exactly as you have suggested , i thought to grow out the thin razor bits it was best to keep them blunt?? or am i best leaving it alone and just s &d till its caught up?
I'll second the recommendation to blunt trim the middle and focus on S&D on the shorter sides to maximize length gain and remove developing razor damage. Then just keep trimming the middle and let the sides grow to fill out the blunt trim line.

skyblue
January 10th, 2013, 02:19 AM
when I joined here I had a severe v shaped hem, mostly fairy tailing since I had not had it trimmed in ages at that time, I got it evened out by doing Feys self trim and just cutting off the very point, I did this once a month, it evened out wonderfully and it didn't take all that long either I had a straight hem in just a few months

I know in my pic it looks all uneven, but thats cause it just wouldn't lay flat for me that day ugh :confused:

bunzfan
January 14th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, the cut is tomorrow so i'll post before and after pics.

bunzfan
January 15th, 2013, 04:16 AM
So i had it cut, i think this stylist did a really good job.

Before

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2932/006phe.jpg

After
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6200/010cel.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/010cel.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I think this hair stylist understands what a 1/2 is :cool:

mzBANGBANG
January 15th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I did mine all at once but don't know if I'd have the willpower to do that if I were solid waist like you.

On the other hand playing "catch up" was very pain free because to me my hair finally looked "nice."

I wouldn't trim the sides at all if slow trimming is the route you take. I was surprised when I realized how often I could go without even a tiny dusting.

Neecola
January 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Looks great, bunzfan! I'm so glad the stylist understood what you wanted. Looks like you'll be to a more blunt hemline in no time!

Chromis
January 15th, 2013, 10:06 AM
That looks fab!

bunzfan
January 15th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I did mine all at once but don't know if I'd have the willpower to do that if I were solid waist like you.

On the other hand playing "catch up" was very pain free because to me my hair finally looked "nice."

I wouldn't trim the sides at all if slow trimming is the route you take. I was surprised when I realized how often I could go without even a tiny dusting.

I did go 10 months before but i noticed if felt a lot thinner on the mid lengths and ends so 2 hair cuts a year should do it. Thank you

Looks great, bunzfan! I'm so glad the stylist understood what you wanted. Looks like you'll be to a more blunt hemline in no time!

I think by the time i next plan on having a trim in the summer it could be all blunt and one length.

That looks fab!

Thanks the braid hardly tapers at all;)

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I agree I'd do a small self trim and grow it out slowly.

Lostsoule77
January 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Bunzfan it looks really good! Looks like the ends were tidied up without much length loss. Good for you! :D

lapushka
January 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM
It looks great, and I'm glad the stylist didn't cut too much off! :thumbsup:

jojo
January 16th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Looks wonderful, i love the U hemline on you and no difference in length either!

Quahatundightu
January 16th, 2013, 06:10 AM
I'm impressed, you got a great cut :) Your progress is really inspiring!

dulce
January 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Looks good! It looks pretty much one length now in the picture.

bunzfan
January 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Bunzfan it looks really good! Looks like the ends were tidied up without much length loss. Good for you! :D

She knew what a 1/2 is and didn't take 2 inches like the last stylist. Thank you i hope your cut turns out well.

It looks great, and I'm glad the stylist didn't cut too much off! :thumbsup:

Thank you.

Looks wonderful, i love the U hemline on you and no difference in length either!

Its so much better others have noticed to IRL.

I'm impressed, you got a great cut :) Your progress is really inspiring!

Aww thanks you inspire me as another fine haired wavy to go for longer length ;)

Looks good! It looks pretty much one length now in the picture.

She actually said its once length but, i think when i go back in the summer and have the same thing done again it will look more one length as the thickness should of moved down some more.

Falcore
January 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Looks really good, Bunz! I think that stylist of yours is a keeper for sure. :)