PDA

View Full Version : One year hair anniversary + bangs/no bangs opinion needed :)

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Hey, people :)
I can't believe it's been (almost) a year since I started growing out my pixie after having a buzz cut for my whole life before that. :)
My hair is now chin length at the front and midneck at the back.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8359/hairyear.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/hairyear.jpg/)

If anyone is interested, I had 4 trims to even and thin out my hemline and avoid the infamous mullet, but I stopped trimming regularily.
What gave me strength through this annoying growing process was my flat iron, without it I'd go back to short hair in a week. And getting bangs to make a change and have a little bit of fun with my hair.
My goals are shoulder length by July and maybe APL in a year, and I'd also like to stop flat-ironing my hair in a year when it gets long and heavy enough to stop flipping and curling at the ends (something I'm sure most of people with 1b hair are familiar with).

I'm also not sure if I should grow out my bangs to long, side bangs or keep them short and assymetrical like this. I prefer the look of the bangs I have now but I find longer, side swept bangs easier to manage and style. What do you think?
I photoshopped both versions so you can tell.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9443/hairso.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/hairso.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Happy growing everyone! :)

woolyleprechaun
January 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I like the with bangs picture, but I get annoyed with them personaly, so its up to you! :)

bunzfan
January 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Great progress i prefer the first one on you;) thats how i'm growing mine out right now they are cheekbone level.

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I like the with bangs picture, but I get annoyed with them personaly, so its up to you! :)
Same here, I really love the look but bangs can get really troublesome. Thanks for the reply! :)

Great progress i prefer the first one on you;) thats how i'm growing mine out right now they are cheekbone level.

shutterpillar
January 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM
If you dont think you will be bothered by the bangs, then I say go for them because I really like them.

Congratulations on your growth! It really is a lot of growth considering you have had to trim a bit to keep things looking neat as it grows. :)

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
If you dont think you will be bothered by the bangs, then I say go for them because I really like them.

Congratulations on your growth! It really is a lot of growth considering you have had to trim a bit to keep things looking neat as it grows. :)
Thanks! It was a pain growing out from really short but totally worth it! :)

rosaacicularis
January 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I'm torn. They give off different vibes to me. The first I think is just a little more natural-looking and appealing to me, but the bangs look really cute and add a little extra - cheekiness, I suppose? I guess it just depends on the look you're after, both are really nice.

melusine963
January 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I would go for the long side-swept bangs. They look good on you.

spirals
January 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I really like them both. You have an absolutely intriguing face, so hair is the 2nd thing I notice, after your eyes. The bangs do attract attention to them, though. I just can't pull off your look.

Darkessa
January 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Longer and side swept, definitely!
I like being able to see your eyes, they are gorgeous. Plus it simply frames your face better.

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I'm torn. They give off different vibes to me. The first I think is just a little more natural-looking and appealing to me, but the bangs look really cute and add a little extra - cheekiness, I suppose? I guess it just depends on the look you're after, both are really nice.
Thanks! I'm torn too. We agree that the first is more natural-looking but the second bangs make me more androgynous...

I would go for the long side-swept bangs. They look good on you.
Thank you :)

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I really like them both. You have an absolutely intriguing face, so hair is the 2nd thing I notice, after your eyes. The bangs do attract attention to them, though. I just can't pull off your look.
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Longer and side swept, definitely!
I like being able to see your eyes, they are gorgeous. Plus it simply frames your face better.
I do like how the longer bangs frame my round face and make it more oval. Thanks for the reply and the compliment. :)

jojo
January 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I like the first photo best, i think that look is very pretty on you. I you dont like you can always cut them back in. I go back and forth with a fringe, i cut mine back in after 5 years a year or so ago, mine are past my collar bone so they grow quick whatever you decide!

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I like the first photo best, i think that look is very pretty on you. I you dont like you can always cut them back in. I go back and forth with a fringe, i cut mine back in after 5 years a year or so ago, mine are past my collar bone so they grow quick whatever you decide!
Thank you! Yeah, I can always cut them again if I don't like them long, thanks for pointing that out for me, I can't believe I never thought of something that obvious xD Then I'll definitely at least try longer bangs. :)

dollyfish
January 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I think without bangs is best! Though you look great with both, so I agree it really just depends on what vibe you want to put off. Without bangs you look a little more earthy and relaxed. The picture with bangs looks more modern and chic.

And honestly, I think the picture for "october" is my ultimate fav of all the different bang styles posted! You look really great with middle-parted bangs. Very classic, yet also modern, and it works great with your cheekbones and overall face shape. Plus, that style is very versatile if you wanted to change the part or pin the bangs back.

Yozhik
January 8th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Congratulations, and great hair growth!
I grew out a pixie once about 15 years ago, and never will do that again! :p

I prefer the longer bangs on you, but I think it's up to your preferences and personal style. :)

ravenheather
January 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I vote no bangs. But you truly do wear both looks well.

Nebulae
January 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Happy (almost) anniversary! :D I think the long side-swept bangs look awesome on you.. the long hair and long bangs frame your face really nicely, as well as bring out your gorgeous eyes!
And I just have to add that the kitty-hairstyle (the may photo) is so creative and cute.. XD why oh why did I never think of that when I had the same hairstyle years ago? :rolling:

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I think without bangs is best! Though you look great with both, so I agree it really just depends on what vibe you want to put off. Without bangs you look a little more earthy and relaxed. The picture with bangs looks more modern and chic.

And honestly, I think the picture for "october" is my ultimate fav of all the different bang styles posted! You look really great with middle-parted bangs. Very classic, yet also modern, and it works great with your cheekbones and overall face shape. Plus, that style is very versatile if you wanted to change the part or pin the bangs back.
Thanks :) The October pic was taken on a chilly autumn morning just after waking up, I didn't even brush my hair yet, just moved the bangs out of my face. :) I do like that style but it's not one of my favorites, love it on other people though.

Congratulations, and great hair growth!
I grew out a pixie once about 15 years ago, and never will do that again! :p

I prefer the longer bangs on you, but I think it's up to your preferences and personal style. :)
Yeah, it's a once in a lifetime kinda thing, not something you wanna go through more than once. xD
Thanks for the reply, all of your opinions are really making me realize the different pros and cons of both styles. :)

Simone_Fatale
January 8th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I vote no bangs. But you truly do wear both looks well.
Thank you. :)

Happy (almost) anniversary! :D I think the long side-swept bangs look awesome on you.. the long hair and long bangs frame your face really nicely, as well as bring out your gorgeous eyes!
And I just have to add that the kitty-hairstyle (the may photo) is so creative and cute.. XD why oh why did I never think of that when I had the same hairstyle years ago? :rolling:
Well thank you! I hope there are many more anniversaries to come. :)
Oh, that kitty inspired look is so hard to style and very damaging to hair with hairspray, heat and teasing, but I just had to try it once. :)

HereIGrowAgain
January 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Happy anniversary! I grew out from a buzz cut, too, and your growing out styles are really cute! I like both bang styles, so I'm not much help there.

Simone_Fatale
January 9th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Happy anniversary! I grew out from a buzz cut, too, and your growing out styles are really cute! I like both bang styles, so I'm not much help there.
Thanks! :) Congrats on growing out a buzz cut, it's no walk in the park. Can't wait to reach your hair length, ahh! :D

oktobergoud
January 9th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Great progress! :D And I like the look without bangs.. more like long side swept bangs? :)

Simone_Fatale
January 9th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Great progress! :D And I like the look without bangs.. more like long side swept bangs? :)
Thank you, oktobergoud! :)

MaryMarx
January 9th, 2013, 03:06 AM
I like the first picture, you look mysterious. :)

Simone_Fatale
January 9th, 2013, 03:23 AM
I like the first picture, you look mysterious. :)
We agree on that :) Thanks!

KittyBird
January 9th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Great progress! I like how you look with bangs, but my vote goes for side swept bangs, because those show more of your face and eyes. And I gotta say, I love the androgynous look you have, it's really awesome! And the kitty picture, it's sooo cute! :inlove:

RubyTuesday
January 9th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Hi :waving:. Amazing progress. I think the first pic looks best - it just stands out more and looks more flattering.

Has anyone ever told you that you have a very Brian Molko/Dave Gahan vibe about you? Although obviously you are much more fresh faced and youthful! :grin:

Two more months until my year anniversary. Woo hoo!

browneyedsusan
January 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I like the side-swept bangs, but I'm growing out my bangs, so am biased that direction. IMHO, bangs are a maintenance nightmare--either too short or in my eyes. Honestly, you look great either way. You can't screw it up.
Nice growth progress! Happy anniversary!

Simone_Fatale
January 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Great progress! I like how you look with bangs, but my vote goes for side swept bangs, because those show more of your face and eyes. And I gotta say, I love the androgynous look you have, it's really awesome! And the kitty picture, it's sooo cute! :inlove:
Thank you! Bangs do make me more androgynous but I'm starting to think they're not as flattering as I thought they were.
Kitty power! :D

Hi :waving:. Amazing progress. I think the first pic looks best - it just stands out more and looks more flattering.

Has anyone ever told you that you have a very Brian Molko/Dave Gahan vibe about you? Although obviously you are much more fresh faced and youthful! :grin:

Two more months until my year anniversary. Woo hoo!
Hey RubyTuesday! :) I've never been compared to either Brian or Dave, but I personally find them very good looking, so thank you! Happy growing :)

I like the side-swept bangs, but I'm growing out my bangs, so am biased that direction. IMHO, bangs are a maintenance nightmare--either too short or in my eyes. Honestly, you look great either way. You can't screw it up.
Nice growth progress! Happy anniversary!
I agree that bangs are hard to mantain - I have to cut mine every two weeks and straighten them more often than the rest of my hair, and all that trouble is gone to waste in a second when the wind blows in a funny direction and totally messes them up. I guess side-swept bangs are a ton easier to mantain. :) Thank you!

MaryO
January 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I really like the flowy bang but maybe that's because I want it for myself! ;-)

Well done on the growth, you hair looks awesome!

Simone_Fatale
January 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I really like the flowy bang but maybe that's because I want it for myself! ;-)

Well done on the growth, you hair looks awesome!
Thanks! If you like it, then you should try it out :)

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I like the bangs.

sedonia
January 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Another vote for "either way but I like seeing both your eyes". You are very beautiful, especially your eyes! Among the photos you posted, I like october best because your hair is out of your eyes.

Simone_Fatale
January 9th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I like the bangs.

Another vote for "either way but I like seeing both your eyes". You are very beautiful, especially your eyes! Among the photos you posted, I like october best because your hair is out of your eyes.
Oh thank you, I'm flattered. Perhaps an interesting option would be short bangs cut a bit higher so my upper face is more exposed... :)

seven77
January 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Your hair is growing so great! I totally feel you on the flat iron deal, I am at a length now where I need to control my hair and at the very least may need to start blow drying (on low).. then once it gets long enough to look good with it's natural waviness, I can stop w/ the heat.
Ok, in the photoshop pic you posted I REALLY love the bangs! But it's one pic, so I can't say for sure. Maybe try growng the bangs out, if you decide you don't like them grown out, you can cut them :) just go with the flow!

Simone_Fatale
January 13th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Your hair is growing so great! I totally feel you on the flat iron deal, I am at a length now where I need to control my hair and at the very least may need to start blow drying (on low).. then once it gets long enough to look good with it's natural waviness, I can stop w/ the heat.
Ok, in the photoshop pic you posted I REALLY love the bangs! But it's one pic, so I can't say for sure. Maybe try growng the bangs out, if you decide you don't like them grown out, you can cut them :) just go with the flow!
Blow drying isn't so terrible, especially if it helps you grow. Longer hair which can be restrained in a pony tail or hangs well below the shoulders is much easier to handle in it's natural state, without heat styling. I plan to reach a certain length and then stay at that length until I cut off all the damage, so it's no big deal really if it helps us grow. :)
And thanks! I decided not to grow out my bangs after all because I can comb them to the sides so they look like they've been grown out. This way I can rock whatever style I feel at the moment, bangs to the side or down :) And here is a pic.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9830/78529783.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/78529783.jpg/)