PDA

View Full Version : Scary nightmare come to life!

misspurdy06
January 8th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I occasionally have the nightmare that for some reason I cut my hair really short. Like, point of no return short.

I picked up my mother for a day together just to hang out and she had her hair up in a clip. This is unusual because despite the tangles she loves to let it down and flow freely.

I asked her how she was and she told me a very crazy but not unheard of event that happened because she took Ambien.

That's right folks Ambien.

She has never taken it before and she is on other drugs (anti anxiety and what not) and she blacked out. She has no recollection of what happened. When she woke up this is what she found.

All of her blankets that she has in her apartment were on top of her. All of her food was on her counter tops with ranch dressing poured all over it. And finally when she noticed her head felt lighter she reached back to grab her pony tail; much to her shock and horror in her Ambien fueled state. She had cut off 4 inches of her pony and not neatly.

She was pretty calm the whole time she was talking about it. I was freaking out though. Mainly because I have had nightmares about that kind of thing. You know when you wake up and check to see if all of your hair and/or teeth is all there.

I helped her even out her new hair cut. It's still very long somewhere between BSL and WL. But Oh my goddess.

Suffice it to stay I will never take Ambien. I tried alteril once and it gave me nightmares. I didn't sleep walk. Phew.

Has anyone else had an experience similar?

mzBANGBANG
January 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I had a friend who accidentally took ambien in the morning instead of his morning meds. From what I understand it basically made him really high, and he got pulled over on his way to work. I can't remember all the details though.

I took ambien once and just remember being very wired, couldn't sleep at all. Only took it once because I hated it.

I've had hair cutting dreams before, I can't imagine actually waking up to shorter hair though. I would be devastated. Yet slightly amused. Lol

akilina
January 8th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Wow :(
I feel really bad for her..Not just the hair thing but that it seems she had a scary experience taking some pill the government and pharma companies says are "totally okay". My BFs mom took chantix years ago for quitting smoking and literally started hallucinating at work at the gas station...Thinking a big indian on a buffalo was going thru the car wash... Its scary to think that these things could make someone lose total control..worse than alcohol or any recreational drug I have ever done :(

I don't mean to sound all extreme lol I am sorry. Has she tried melatonin for sleep problems?
Its good to hear she seems calm about it and that her hair is still long, anyway :p

Arden
January 8th, 2013, 10:29 AM
and this folks is why drugs are bad

millyaulait
January 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Ah, yes. The Ambien Walrus.

I've never had any experience with Ambien itself, but I have with another sleeping drug, Zopiclone.

I wound up hallucinating spiders, and a tiny dragon, I followed this little pint-sized dragon around my house. It took me to my kitchen window, it was raining heavily at the time & I stuck my head out the window and got drenched. Thankfully my boyfriend woke up and realized that I wasn't in bed, he found me when I was just about to clamber out of the window with the dragon. I'm pretty sure I thought I could fly. I can absolutely remember just thinking about where the dragon was going to take me if I followed it by jumping out of the window and flying there. We lived pretty high up in the building so it would have probably been really... really bad news if he hadn't found me at the time.

Thankfully I didn't do anything to my hair, I've stayed away from sleeping pills since, just in case. I would be horrified to wake up having cut my hair!

shutterpillar
January 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
How horrible for your mom! I have been hearing all kinds of horror stories from people who have been taking sleep meds... particularly those that have been prescribed by their physician.

neko_kawaii
January 8th, 2013, 10:37 AM
My MIL was on Ambien for a short time. She called everyone in a panic one morning to say that she'd had all the locks changed because someone had come into her house in the night, fried and eaten an egg and left the dishes on the counter.

spidermom
January 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM
No experience with Ambien, but I'm allergic to Ultram and saw a big moose barreling around the mobile home where I lived at the time, blowing moose berries out his behind. Gah! Horrible stuff! I'd rather have kept the headache.

RubyTuesday
January 8th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Ah, yes. The Ambien Walrus.

I've never had any experience with Ambien itself, but I have with another sleeping drug, Zopiclone.

I wound up hallucinating spiders, and a tiny dragon, I followed this little pint-sized dragon around my house. It took me to my kitchen window, it was raining heavily at the time & I stuck my head out the window and got drenched. Thankfully my boyfriend woke up and realized that I wasn't in bed, he found me when I was just about to clamber out of the window with the dragon. I'm pretty sure I thought I could fly. I can absolutely remember just thinking about where the dragon was going to take me if I followed it by jumping out of the window and flying there. We lived pretty high up in the building so it would have probably been really... really bad news if he hadn't found me at the time.

Thankfully I didn't do anything to my hair, I've stayed away from sleeping pills since, just in case. I would be horrified to wake up having cut my hair!

I know I shouldn't laugh but I couldn't help myself. A tiny dragon..... but of course!

Kaelee
January 8th, 2013, 11:06 AM
WHY is this stuff legal? Oh my goodness. How dangerous!!!! :thud:

akilina
January 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
WHY is this stuff legal? Oh my goodness. How dangerous!!!! :thud:
My thoughts exactly. And then things that are not even one TENTH as dangerous..are illegal.

millyaulait
January 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I know I shouldn't laugh but I couldn't help myself. A tiny dragon..... but of course!

Hehehe, I know. It's alright to laugh, it's funny to remember it. It was an awfully cute dragon, to be fair! It emerged from the mirror on my dresser... :o

Kaelee
January 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My thoughts exactly. And then things that are not even one TENTH as dangerous..are illegal.

I was just talking about this with a friend, we both agree that a drug like this...should be given in a hospital setting ONLY, with the patient under close observation. Not handed out for people to take home and be at the mercy of on their own time.

akilina
January 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I was just talking about this with a friend, we both agree that a drug like this...should be given in a hospital setting ONLY, with the patient under close observation. Not handed out for people to take home and be at the mercy of on their own time.
Exactly..I do not mean to derail or hijack here...But the Pharma companies simply disgust me. Its just all about money and the government wanting us to stay fat and unhealthy. I am highly against taking any prescription medications (unless its life or death/big health issue). I am more into alternative healing and natural approaches. That might sound ignorant to some, but I don't want to argue about it. Its simply what I believe. Its like...people take all these medications with even WORSE side effects than the illness its self. Idk. >.< I feel like some doctors are very dismissive too, so they will just hand something out to the person almost thoughtlessly. I know so many people who were prescribed the wrong medications, from a doctor without a care.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Ambien acts as a hypnotic on me. I do things like I normally would, I just don't have any memory of doing them. On another forum I belonged to, I would wake up in the morning and read some brilliant post, look to see who wrote it, and there would be MY name! Nice to know I am consistent, at least.

Sillage
January 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I am highly against taking any prescription medications (unless its life or death/big health issue). I am more into alternative healing and natural approaches.

I can't say that I agree, but there is a strong case to be made for the over proscribing of drugs. Did you know that the US makes up about 4.5% of the world's population but consumes about 80% of the world's supply of pain medication? You can't tell me something isn't wrong there... people need to be careful about Rxs, it's very serious stuff.

akilina
January 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I can't say that I agree, but there is a strong case to be made for the over proscribing of drugs. Did you know that the US makes up about 4.5% of the world's population but consumes about 80% of the world's supply of pain medication? You can't tell me something isn't wrong there... people need to be careful about Rxs, it's very serious stuff.

Wow I didn't know that exact percentage. That is just horrible! And a huge thing is that people take the pain meds for recreational use, and some people with prescriptions actually just sell them all on the "street". Which is whatever..I don't care what people do. But that number is still alarming. I hope I never have to take any medications..and if I ever have to, I know that I will try any natural approach I can before taking prescription meds. I hate the whole "oh I have a problem." then "here, take this pill...and this one and this one too!!" I have even limited my vitamins I take to only taking Maca anymore.
I don't mean to hijack. Conversation happens though!! Sorry OP.

Editing here to say: Like I said... I am against them for myself, but understand that some people need them!!!! I am not that naive. "Life or death/Big health issue" !!!

chen bao jun
January 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Sometimes you really need some meds. I have a bipolar child and without medication, it's scary. I say this even though we have definitelyhad issues with the meds, without is worse.
However, for stuff like not being able to get to sleep, I would think it would be better to try a glass of warm milk, or perhaps some herbal tea? (I find my rooibos makes me sleepy, actually so I do it in the evening.) Avoid heavy exercise, stimulating games or the computer for about an hour before bed. Take a warm bath. and, instead of counting recently, I tell myself how much my hair has grown already, and how many inches it might grow this year, next year, the year after....

Kaelee
January 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Sometimes you really need some meds. I have a bipolar child and without medication, it's scary. I say this even though we have definitelyhad issues with the meds, without is worse.
However, for stuff like not being able to get to sleep, I would think it would be better to try a glass of warm milk, or perhaps some herbal tea? (I find my rooibos makes me sleepy, actually so I do it in the evening.) Avoid heavy exercise, stimulating games or the computer for about an hour before bed. Take a warm bath. and, instead of counting recently, I tell myself how much my hair has grown already, and how many inches it might grow this year, next year, the year after....

Oh, I'm not anti-Rx (personally), and I agree sometimes we need them. But some are just way too dangerous. When they make the person incapable of being aware of or controlling their own actions...and it's NOT an uncommon side effect...

For sleeping, diphenhydramine does the trick for me (though I rarely, very rarely, ever use it.) It's marketed both as an allergy medicine, and under a different brand name as a sleep aid.

airmid
January 8th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry this happened to your Mom! I hope her hair grows back super quick!

I have had several similar experiences. Not with the hair, thank goodness, but the blackouts. I have very terrible insomnia, was on a few different things to help me sleep- benzodiazepines mostly. I am not on them (or anything) anymore, and while the insomnia is nigh intolerable, it's better than the alternative.
I would take these pills, towards the end of my being on them, and wake up in the morning with food all over the floor, on the counters and table, etc. And the burners on the stove would all be turned on bust, I'm amazed there was never a fire. Oh, and I used to smoke- I would blackout with cigarettes in my hand and find burn holes in my bed and clothes. I would have no recollection of any of this.

...Why do so many of these stories involve food? :confused:

jacqueline101
January 8th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I've never used ambien or done drugs. I don't get why people take it.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Because sleep is a precious thing. For most of my life I have had sleep problems. During the time I was taking Ambien, it was the first decent sleep I had gotten in twenty years. It is less addictive than other sleep medications, which is why I took it. It was very effective for me for about two years. Then it started to lose its efficacy.

I've never used ambien or done drugs. I don't get why people take it.

tigereye
January 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I feel like some doctors are very dismissive too, so they will just hand something out to the person almost thoughtlessly. I know so many people who were prescribed the wrong medications, from a doctor without a care.

I can agree with this.
I'm not against medication as a whole. Not only would getting rid of medications put me out of a job in the future (I'm studying with an aim to eventually going into a job in research pharmacology), but a large number of people need those medications to live an independant, comfortable and/or reasonably normal life.
That said, the number of times I have known people prescribed with the wrong medications, or putting up with horrendous side effects from medications they have been prescribed is just awful.

My mum was back and forth to the doctor's for 5 years, going through an insane number of medications for a problem that had nothing to do with what was actually wrong. It turned out she had polymyalgia rheumatica, but the doctors she had been seeing all those five years hadn't even considered it because at 50, she was apparently "too young" to have it. As soon as they got her onto the right levels of the right medications, she was fine, but to get there, she had had to go through five years of side effects caused by medications she never needed.

My brother, for the last half a year has been on what I consider to be a faily hefty mix of various drugs. Warfarin, Ibuprofen, paracetamol, plus 6 other drugs I can neither spell, nor remember the names of, most of which seem to be to cancel out the side effects of each other. In the beginning, he was also on heparin, morphine, and later codeine, some drug to prevent nauseousness, and for two months, a varying array of antibiotics. Even with those he has stopped needing, he has packets extra left over, that he has no clue what to do with. Its tempting to throw them in the fire to make sure no one takes them that isn't meant to.
Of course, my brother at the time needed the meds, as he had a life-threatening condition, but I just can't believe how easily doctors hand out pills for things. Surely having many different pills together is not a good thing.

I've never taken sleeping pills before, so I have no experience of this type of thing people are describing, but it sounds horrible! :(

I try not to take many pills. I generally don't even take over-the-counter painkillers unless I'm in agony. Mostly, because never don't seem to help any (an issue my brother also has - he doesn't believe the paracetamol and ibuprofen is doing anything at all, but he takes them because he is told to), but because I don't feel like I should be popping pills like sweets. That said, sometimes I do find myself popping pills because I have EDH type 3, and the pain can sometimes get bad, especially if I go over my ankle, or dislocate my shoulder, as sometimes happens, and even though I don't think it does anyhing, its more the idea that it could somehow help.

Speaking of which, my doctor turned out to be perfectly happy to keep giving me pills, that I didn't want because, at the same time, he refused that I could possibly have EDS, but wouldn't give me a reason for my pain, and I didn't want to be taking prescription pills without actually having a proper diagnosis. It was my physio that finally diagnosed me two months ago, after living with hypermobility, and many related problems for my whole life so far, and physio, not pills, has been what has helped.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Sorry for the OT rant but- I refuse to take medication to combat the side effects of the medication I am taking. If the cure is worse than the disease... On the other hand, a lot of people are alive and living decent lives because of the strides made in medicine. I try to research everything I am taking and keep an eye out for side effects. I am ridiculously sensitive to everything, including medications. Herbal supplements are just as dangerous, btw. I have had horrible reactions to supplements. Again, I have to research everything. As my doctor said, if an herbal supplement is strong enough to be effective, it is strong enough to cause problems and side effects.

tigereye
January 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM
It's another important point to note though - any drug that is effective will cause side effects. Most of the effects of a drug is caused by interactions with receptors in the body. It just happens that all drugs will have side effects, it is just the range and severity that differs.
So yes, herbal remedies are just as bad as regular drugs in that regard.

spirals
January 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM
:lol: at the food comment. OT, but my bestie used to sleep-eat. It's a real thing.
Anyway, I am ambivalent about meds. I try not to take anything, but when chronic pain is bad enough to stop me from the things I have to do, I take over-the-counter stuff. I try whatever else I can first: traction, essential oils, cold and hot nerve confusion, spinal manipulation (what I'm able to do myself). If it doesn't work, I'm taking something. At work I can't really do all that stuff, so I stagger my OTCs. But for minor stuff I try natural remedies. Melatonin works perfectly for insomnia, and I mean perfectly, every time. I'm asleep within 40 minutes and I don't get the hangover the next day, like I do with diphenhydramine or other antihistamines. But you can have too much of a good thing. 1 1/2 mg is the most melatonin I can take without getting nightmares.

PrincessIdril
January 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I can agree with this.
Even with those he has stopped needing, he has packets extra left over, that he has no clue what to do with. Its tempting to throw them in the fire to make sure no one takes them that isn't meant to.

I believe that in the UK at least you are meant to return any unused medicines to a pharmacy for safe disposal. I know my mum does that with her meds, obviously it's best to check with your local pharmacy first rather than just turn up with a load.

kaydana
January 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Sorry for the OT rant but- I refuse to take medication to combat the side effects of the medication I am taking. If the cure is worse than the disease... On the other hand, a lot of people are alive and living decent lives because of the strides made in medicine. I try to research everything I am taking and keep an eye out for side effects. I am ridiculously sensitive to everything, including medications. Herbal supplements are just as dangerous, btw. I have had horrible reactions to supplements. Again, I have to research everything. As my doctor said, if an herbal supplement is strong enough to be effective, it is strong enough to cause problems and side effects.

Out of curiosity, have you become more sensitive to medicines since you started researching them properly before taking them? The problem with keeping an eye out for side effects, especially if you know what you're looking for, is that there's a possibility that some of those side effects can end up occurring just because you're looking for them.

Of course, there's no easy solution to that as obviously you're better off knowing what you're taking and what the risks are than not.

Allychan
January 8th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I used to have major problems with getting sleep and was taking sleeping pills. For a while there but I found they gave me sleep but never that rested feeling. When I started to have to take more and more just to get the effects I gave them up I could see where it was heading. I also watched my SIL have a psychotic reation to someone else's ADHD meds and had to lock myself and my 5week old daughter in a bedroom from her because she was convinced there was a sniper after her??

After considering meds for depression, my mum gave me a really good book to read called The Judas Window - Benzodiazepine Dependency by Felicity Beilovich which is all about the downward spiral of over medication with prescription drugs.

On a lighter side I found God and am ok now. We're cool..:rockerdud

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM
OP, that sucks! I'm so sorry for you mom and just glad it wasn't worse. I've never taken anything stronger than diphenhydramine to sleep (and that's only when I can't sleep because I'm stuffed up) or Nyquil (only when I'm coughing so much I can't sleep.) They both keep me drowsy into the morning hours and I only take a 1/2 dose with both. I'm actually a pharm tech who is so against drugs. I think they have a good use and when they are needed, fine. People and doctors way over use them though. It's crazy the amount of kids on amphetamines. And I mean elementary school kids!

That being said, we have tons of people on Ambien and very few of them report having such bad side effects.

seaj
January 8th, 2013, 04:36 PM
My brother took a zolpidem last night, but didn't do to sleep right away so he was acting like he was high. He showed his face painting skills, how to drink like a geisha, told home there is a whole world in a can of Mountain Dew (The world of Coke is dirty and filled with sweatshops), and then he showed me some gymnastics moves on one leg. I had to literally lay him in bead because I couldn't deal with him anymore then he knocked out in less than 5 minutes. I hate that stuff.

SunlightShines
January 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Wow! That is some scarey stuff! My son has been having trouble sleeping and just this morning asked me to look into what kind of sleeping meds might be able to help him. I'm going to tell him what happens with this stuff and to stay clear of it. I'll make him some decaf herbal tea and pull out my sleep machine to see if any of the sounds help him drift off instead!

utdesertrunner
January 8th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Wow...that is super scarey! I would be devastated too about my hair. I also have those weird dreams where my teeth are all falling out. I have heard that this is common for people with tmj?

ravenreed
January 8th, 2013, 08:44 PM
No. Not at all. A lot of times I get a rare side effect that isn't listed on my medication. It is only after stopping the medication that I realize what was causing the problems.

Out of curiosity, have you become more sensitive to medicines since you started researching them properly before taking them? The problem with keeping an eye out for side effects, especially if you know what you're looking for, is that there's a possibility that some of those side effects can end up occurring just because you're looking for them.

Of course, there's no easy solution to that as obviously you're better off knowing what you're taking and what the risks are than not.

piffyanne
January 9th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Hehehe, I know. It's alright to laugh, it's funny to remember it. It was an awfully cute dragon, to be fair! It emerged from the mirror on my dresser... :o

I will save this for when I have a child in need of an imaginary friend, if you don't mind. :crush: TOO DURNED CUUUTE!

piffyanne
January 9th, 2013, 12:49 AM
OH MY GOSH, THIS.

I took an herbal thing that was supposed to shorten a flu's length (mom suggested it, if I had thought about it I would have said "but this is the flu, how can it help?") and got a REALLY weird reaction. When I was lying down in this state, I found myself to be hypersensitive to the feel of ANYTHING touching my skin, including other parts of my skin, clothing, my hair, all I could come in contact with without real physical pain was cotton. When I sat up, I couldn't stop rocking, had racing thoughts, etc. I also made weird little moan noises on each exhale of breath.

When the "high" (sorry, I use it for lack of a better term) wore off, I read the ingredients, and found there was belladonna in it. I took the Adult pill size, maybe I should have taken the child one because I'm about 100lbs, but seriously. DBF thinks I was high on belladonna, I didn't do it on purpose and it was HORRIBLY unpleasant.

Homeopathic stuff, read the labels before you take it. I usually read them first but was already miserable with the flu, not thinking clearly, and wanted it to be over fast. GACK.

ravenreed
January 9th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Glad you figured out what caused your terrible reaction at least! I took Feverfew for migraines and couldn't figure out why I was having a horrible allergic reaction. Right on the bottle is says not to take it if you have an allergy to the mum family. *headdesk* Same thing with Chondroitin. I was taking that for joint pain and it was making me so sick. I read the bottle and it says, "Don't take if you have a shellfish allergy." Yay for allergies! Now I not only read the bottle, but I do a bit of reading up on Medline or some other medical website. I also research what herbal supplements interact with medications I am taking!

OH MY GOSH, THIS.

I took an herbal thing that was supposed to shorten a flu's length (mom suggested it, if I had thought about it I would have said "but this is the flu, how can it help?") and got a REALLY weird reaction. When I was lying down in this state, I found myself to be hypersensitive to the feel of ANYTHING touching my skin, including other parts of my skin, clothing, my hair, all I could come in contact with without real physical pain was cotton. When I sat up, I couldn't stop rocking, had racing thoughts, etc. I also made weird little moan noises on each exhale of breath.

When the "high" (sorry, I use it for lack of a better term) wore off, I read the ingredients, and found there was belladonna in it. I took the Adult pill size, maybe I should have taken the child one because I'm about 100lbs, but seriously. DBF thinks I was high on belladonna, I didn't do it on purpose and it was HORRIBLY unpleasant.

Homeopathic stuff, read the labels before you take it. I usually read them first but was already miserable with the flu, not thinking clearly, and wanted it to be over fast. GACK.

AnqeIicDemise
January 9th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Yes, my hair is my baby and my security blanket but if that's the worst I'd ever do under Ambien, I'd consider myself lucky. I've read articles and reports of people *sleep driving* and killing people then going to jail/losing their driver licenses because the Ambien Walrus is such a new thing in courts. One gal lost government clearance. She jet set all over the world doing some kind of high-security job for the military and didn't sleep well, so her doctor gave her ambien.

When she came to she was in the back of a police car, cuffed and crying. She got a DUI, lost her job and faced jail time because unfortunately, there was a fatality. It took a very, very good, expensive lawyer to get her to get probation instead but y'know, not all of us can afford such things. Horrible!

Yeah. I'd rather chop my hair off at the worst. At least it'll grow back. :(

Ambien scares the bejebus out of me. I don't care how bad my insomnia gets, I'm deathly afraid of that stuff. I refuse to take it if my doc prescribes it to me. I'm afraid I'd have to be shackled to the bed to keep me in place, have security and all items which I can cause harm to myself or others locked away. This includes my car keys!

AnqeIicDemise
January 9th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Glad you figured out what caused your terrible reaction at least! I took Feverfew for migraines and couldn't figure out why I was having a horrible allergic reaction. Right on the bottle is says not to take it if you have an allergy to the mum family. *headdesk* Same thing with Chondroitin. I was taking that for joint pain and it was making me so sick. I read the bottle and it says, "Don't take if you have a shellfish allergy." Yay for allergies! Now I not only read the bottle, but I do a bit of reading up on Medline or some other medical website. I also research what herbal supplements interact with medications I am taking!

O.O;;

I almost killed myself with a diet suppliment years ago. I took it and I could feel my heart beating erratically and difficulty to breathe. In the tiniest font size possible, in the most hidden corner of the label it said "do not take if you have an allergy to shellfish." -.- if It hadn't been for my roomie at the time, I'm afraid I would've kept taking the weight loss pill until I died. (She had some weird thing where she couldn't eat animal based protein due to some sensitivity issue. She'd get super sick and was accustomed to reading not just labels but bottles as well. *she* found the warning.)

Lostsoule77
January 9th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Yeah, herbals are just as scary as rx's! They aren't monitored by the FDA or anyone else. They can have varying degrees of whatever in them. Vitamins are the same. Even with good companies you need to do research and if you are on rx's you really need to make sure they don't interact. Your pharmacist will know the major interactions. I'd also take to the net to see uncommon ones that people complain about. Of course, you have to take anything on the net with a grain of salt.

ravenreed
January 9th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Here (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/medlineplus.html) is one of the first sites I check. It is run by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and covers medications AND supplements. It covers possible side effects and drug interactions, and whether any studies have shown if the supplement is likely effective.

Yeah, herbals are just as scary as rx's! They aren't monitored by the FDA or anyone else. They can have varying degrees of whatever in them. Vitamins are the same. Even with good companies you need to do research and if you are on rx's you really need to make sure they don't interact. Your pharmacist will know the major interactions. I'd also take to the net to see uncommon ones that people complain about. Of course, you have to take anything on the net with a grain of salt.

ravenreed
January 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Have you discussed this with your doctor? I mentioned my problems with shellfish and was handed an epi-pen. I was told it was now my friend and to take it everywhere. Shellfish allergies are as bad as peanut allergies for going all fatal suddenly.

O.O;;

I almost killed myself with a diet suppliment years ago. I took it and I could feel my heart beating erratically and difficulty to breathe. In the tiniest font size possible, in the most hidden corner of the label it said "do not take if you have an allergy to shellfish." -.- if It hadn't been for my roomie at the time, I'm afraid I would've kept taking the weight loss pill until I died. (She had some weird thing where she couldn't eat animal based protein due to some sensitivity issue. She'd get super sick and was accustomed to reading not just labels but bottles as well. *she* found the warning.)

ratgirldjh
January 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM
My bf is on seroquel. He sometimes wakes up in the night and goes to the kitchen and eats a lot of food... I mean a lot. The next day he kind of remembers it but still finds it weird that he would get the craving for eggs or something strange in the middle of the night... and so much lol

My brother's gf was given some Ambien by her mother to help her sleep and had a black out where she actually called the police on my brother claiming he had a gun and was trying to kill her. They came (of course) and found my brother asleep in bed and her out in the yard looking for her keys (which my brother had tossed out to keep her from driving thank god).

It took a few days (and more episodes) for them to finally realize what was going on - and actually when they told me about it I remembered her mentioning her mom giving her some sleep meds and asked what it was and looked it up! Oh course they didn't believe me at first...

AnqeIicDemise
January 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Have you discussed this with your doctor? I mentioned my problems with shellfish and was handed an epi-pen. I was told it was now my friend and to take it everywhere. Shellfish allergies are as bad as peanut allergies for going all fatal suddenly.

Yeah...i mentioned that i bloat upon contact and get itchy. Dr. M said its an allergy that gets worse over time and frequency of exposure ao now i have a pen. I never had thought to check ingredients for non food items to check about shellfish. Turns out i even need tk be careful about algea masks etc.

spidermom
January 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM
One difference I'm noticing is that when I had my Ultram-induced hallucination (the pooping moose), I was aware that it wasn't real. It seems most didn't realize that.

ravenreed
January 9th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Yeah, you even need to be careful with certain medical procedures. There is a scan that they often do an iodine contrast... I don't know if that would be a concern for you. Let everyone who treats you know!

I have to watch out with certain Asian sauces because they use a shrimp paste or such. I always ask. I can't even take calcium carbonate supplements because that is sometimes made from shellfish. I can take take calcium citrate just fine. A lot of foods are supplemented with calcium carbonate, like some orange juices. LAME!

Yeah...i mentioned that i bloat upon contact and get itchy. Dr. M said its an allergy that gets worse over time and frequency of exposure ao now i have a pen. I never had thought to check ingredients for non food items to check about shellfish. Turns out i even need tk be careful about algea masks etc.

AnqeIicDemise
January 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Thankfully i found a tom yum paste that is shellfish free! We make our miso from scratch as well as other Asian foods because a. I live to cook and b. Damn allergies.

And thank you for the reminder. I sometimes forget. I would have been in serious trouble when i had stitches last if hubby hadnt jumped in to say something as the nurse had an iodine swab to clean the area to be sewn. It can be frustrating at times.

Naiadryade
January 9th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I've had insomnia my whole life. When I was a toddler and throughout childhood, I would wander into my parents' room at all hours of the night (like 4am) complaining that I couldn't sleep.

I also have an anxiety disorder. They're definitely related. When I try to go to sleep, I just worry about everything. I have bad dreams too.

I was medicated for the anxiety as a teen--they tried a bunch of different things that never really worked. They didn't have horrible side effects for me, except that withdrawal was pretty ugly for some of them.

Now I decidedly avoid putting man-made chemicals into my body if at all possible--that's just where my priorities have led me. It's fine if that's not your decision for your life. And I know sometimes there are things which modern western medicine can do that goes beyond what is possible with traditional, natural medicine is capable of, and in that case it makes sense to use them.

But sleep? Sleep is not one of those cases. Sedatives are super common among plants. Lucky for me, sedatives also often help to calm the nerves and relieve anxiety, which is probably a pretty common cause of insomnia. I usually take them as a tea--a pleasant thing to have with a book in bed before going to sleep.

Below is a list of plants I have used to help me sleep. Some have worked better than others, but as we know here at LHC, different things work better for different people! And best of all, none of these plants cause blackouts, sleep-eating or -driving, hallucinations, doing crazy things, or anything like that.

Of course, you should always do your own research before using ANY medicine, whether natural or synthetic. Plants never do just one thing, and all of these have a variety of other medicinal purposes. You might just like these side effects though--most of them make you healthier. Also, you can't overdose on most of them, so there's no danger in having more if you feel like you need it.

-Rose petals \
-Lavender - These three are lovely together.
-Chamomile /
-Fo Ti
-Jamaican Dogwood Bark
-Skullcap
-Cannabis (obviously this one has other effects on your brain, but it's not going to make you black out or, in most cases, hallucinate.)

ArienEllariel
January 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Oh my! That's really scary... my aunt was on Ambien and called my mom. Had a completely coherent conversation with her. Called again later in the day and didn't remember any of it (amnesia anyone?). That stuff is really scary...

AnqeIicDemise
January 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I've had insomnia my whole life. When I was a toddler and throughout childhood, I would wander into my parents' room at all hours of the night (like 4am) complaining that I couldn't sleep.

I also have an anxiety disorder. They're definitely related. When I try to go to sleep, I just worry about everything. I have bad dreams too.

I was medicated for the anxiety as a teen--they tried a bunch of different things that never really worked. They didn't have horrible side effects for me, except that withdrawal was pretty ugly for some of them.

Now I decidedly avoid putting man-made chemicals into my body if at all possible--that's just where my priorities have led me. It's fine if that's not your decision for your life. And I know sometimes there are things which modern western medicine can do that goes beyond what is possible with traditional, natural medicine is capable of, and in that case it makes sense to use them.

But sleep? Sleep is not one of those cases. Sedatives are super common among plants. Lucky for me, sedatives also often help to calm the nerves and relieve anxiety, which is probably a pretty common cause of insomnia. I usually take them as a tea--a pleasant thing to have with a book in bed before going to sleep.

Below is a list of plants I have used to help me sleep. Some have worked better than others, but as we know here at LHC, different things work better for different people! And best of all, none of these plants cause blackouts, sleep-eating or -driving, hallucinations, doing crazy things, or anything like that.

Of course, you should always do your own research before using ANY medicine, whether natural or synthetic. Plants never do just one thing, and all of these have a variety of other medicinal purposes. You might just like these side effects though--most of them make you healthier. Also, you can't overdose on most of them, so there's no danger in having more if you feel like you need it.

-Rose petals \
-Chamomile /
-Fo Ti
-Jamaican Dogwood Bark
-Skullcap
-Cannabis (obviously this one has other effects on your brain, but it's not going to make you black out or, in most cases, hallucinate.)

I use rose tea for the nights when I can't sleep and when I have really bad period cramps.

Kaelee
January 9th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Thankfully i found a tom yum paste that is shellfish free! We make our miso from scratch as well as other Asian foods because a. I live to cook and b. Damn allergies.

And thank you for the reminder. I sometimes forget. I would have been in serious trouble when i had stitches last if hubby hadnt jumped in to say something as the nurse had an iodine swab to clean the area to be sewn. It can be frustrating at times.

People with shellfish allergies can't have contact with iodine? YIKES!!! I did not know that. I'm first aid certified and I did not know that. Where is the awareness of this stuff?

ravenreed
January 9th, 2013, 11:57 PM
It depends on the person. I don't have a problem with iodine, but apparently some folks do. Not everyone reacts quite the same. There are a so many allergies out that that I don't know that they could cover them all adequately in a first aide program, and allergy to one thing can roll over to something else. For instance, I am allergic to latex, so I have to avoid certain plants like aloe vera. My cousin has the same allergy and can't go near avocados. I would never have guessed that aloe vera and avocados would trigger a latex allergy!

People with shellfish allergies can't have contact with iodine? YIKES!!! I did not know that. I'm first aid certified and I did not know that. Where is the awareness of this stuff?

Lostsoule77
January 10th, 2013, 08:23 AM

-Rose petals \
-Chamomile /
-Fo Ti
-Jamaican Dogwood Bark
-Skullcap

Thanks for this! I don't have insomnia, but my brother & DH do. I'm gonna look into these and see if any would be good for DH. :D

Mishka_84
January 10th, 2013, 08:48 AM
It depends on the person. I don't have a problem with iodine, but apparently some folks do. Not everyone reacts quite the same. There are a so many allergies out that that I don't know that they could cover them all adequately in a first aide program, and allergy to one thing can roll over to something else. For instance, I am allergic to latex, so I have to avoid certain plants like aloe vera. My cousin has the same allergy and can't go near avocados. I would never have guessed that aloe vera and avocados would trigger a latex allergy!

Did you know that some latex allergists also react to Poinsettias? Makes my life at Christmas hell, trying to get in and out of stores without breathing near them. The worst latex-related allergic reaction I've ever had was to a poinsettia plant. And I didn't even realize it at first, thought I was just having a panic attack (had a poinsettia fall into my face during the aftermath of a bank robbery). It took three different cops AND my bank manager to realize I wasn't having a panic attack, I was having an allergic reaction. Took nearly a week for the rash on my face to completely clear up, and my throat didn't feel "right" for several days.

Interestingly enough, I'm also allergic to shellfish. I do have to avoid iodine. Luckily DH has learned to be very aware of everything that comes near me in hospital settings, he's a great advocate to have with me! :)

Naiadryade
January 10th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks for this! I don't have insomnia, but my brother & DH do. I'm gonna look into these and see if any would be good for DH. :D

You're welcome. :) I've also used 5-HTP, which is griffonia bean extract, with success. It's a precursor to both melatonin and serotonin, so it helps you sleep at night and makes you happy during the day. So people with serotonin deficiencies (think depression, anxiety) and insomnia may find this one particularly helpful.

faellen
January 10th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I would have been in serious trouble when i had stitches last if hubby hadnt jumped in to say something as the nurse had an iodine swab to clean the area to be sewn. It can be frustrating at times.

I thought the whole shellfish allergy and iodine thing was an myth.

From: http://www.allergyexpert.us/food/shellfishallergy.html

"Are Shellfish Allergic Individuals Allergic to Iodine?
This is a common misconception. The idea that shellfish allergic patients could have problems with iodine appears to have
started in the 1970’s and has been widely disseminated ever since. However, there is no evidence that this is true. There is no
relationship between shellfish, iodine, and radio contrast dyes.

Shellfish allergic individuals do not have an increased risk of adverse reactions when eating foods containing iodine (an
element found in almost everything we eat).
Shellfish allergic individuals have no increased risk of a reaction from antiseptics such as Betadine (10% povidone with
Iodine solution, often before surgical procedures to clean the skin) compared to non-shellfish allergic people.
While allergies to radiological dyes do exist, the risk of a reaction in patients with a shellfish allergy is no greater than
someone who is not shellfish allergic."

IndigoOptimist
January 10th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Wow, talk about nasty side effects!!
I've never had any drug induced hallucinations, however I do sometimes hallucinate when I have a temperature when I'm ill.
There are many things that have happened, normally stemming from dreams that I have then wake up and don't realise it's not real. My mum once checked my room for needles or other drug paraphernalia when I went to her in the middle of the night talking about 'our toy shop' that we owned (we have never own anything of the sort) and how her ex-husband was trying to kill me in it.
Then there was the time that I killed snoopy when I sat on him and many other times where I've thought I was going to die/was dead!
I don't know why it happens, but lucky I haven't been that ill for a while and I've never cut my hair when in that state!

ravenreed
January 10th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I had no idea. That is really good to know.

I also "Oral Allergy Syndrome" which is annoying as can be. The list of things I am allergic to is ridiculous. I am one step away from living in a bubble. My mom says that I am "a delicate hot-house flower!" All I know is I have year round allergies and basically if it has pollen, spores, fur, or feathers, I am probably allergic to it. I am also allergic to fabric dyes (but no hair dyes for some reason I cannot work out), bandaids and surgical tapes, envelope glue, um... flame retardant, all sorts of bizarre things.

Did you know that some latex allergists also react to Poinsettias? Makes my life at Christmas hell, trying to get in and out of stores without breathing near them. The worst latex-related allergic reaction I've ever had was to a poinsettia plant. And I didn't even realize it at first, thought I was just having a panic attack (had a poinsettia fall into my face during the aftermath of a bank robbery). It took three different cops AND my bank manager to realize I wasn't having a panic attack, I was having an allergic reaction. Took nearly a week for the rash on my face to completely clear up, and my throat didn't feel "right" for several days.

Interestingly enough, I'm also allergic to shellfish. I do have to avoid iodine. Luckily DH has learned to be very aware of everything that comes near me in hospital settings, he's a great advocate to have with me! :)

joflakes
January 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
That sounds so scary. Who would put a drug on the market that made people do all these weird and dangerous things?! :/

Mishka_84
January 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM

I also "Oral Allergy Syndrome" which is annoying as can be. The list of things I am allergic to is ridiculous. I am one step away from living in a bubble. My mom says that I am "a delicate hot-house flower!" All I know is I have year round allergies and basically if it has pollen, spores, fur, or feathers, I am probably allergic to it. I am also allergic to fabric dyes (but no hair dyes for some reason I cannot work out), bandaids and surgical tapes, envelope glue, um... flame retardant, all sorts of bizarre things.

I also have a problem with alot of bandaids and medical tapes. My personal theory is that the adhesive is related in some way to latex, but I have no confirmation on that. Oh, and the sticky stuff on thigh high panty hose. :)

AnqeIicDemise
January 10th, 2013, 06:17 PM
When i was talking to a message therapist and i asked why she advised against a seaweed and mud press (wouldnt let me do a swatch just in case) she mentioned that some people are not really allergic to shelfish itself but what the things eat. These protozoa are present in iodine and other products like seaweed. While i can eat seaweed i rather not have an allergic reaction while in the hospital, period.

Eta i rather be safe than sorry. Sometimes i get rashes with some latex and at times i dont. I dont know what is up with that.

ravenreed
January 10th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I had to get rid of a sleep bra because of the exposed elastic! I can use paper tape okay, but anything else and I get huge, nasty blisters and then my skin peels off.

I also have a problem with alot of bandaids and medical tapes. My personal theory is that the adhesive is related in some way to latex, but I have no confirmation on that. Oh, and the sticky stuff on thigh high panty hose. :)

Kaelee
January 10th, 2013, 10:28 PM

I hate Oral Allergy Syndrome!!! In most cases (including mine) it seems harmless enough, but boy is it annoying!!! I can't eat most raw fruit anymore. :( And I LOVE raw fruit!!! (cooked is no problem though).

I'm NOT allergic to latex, and I also have that allergy. I had to leave a surgical wound uncovered days before I was supposed to be cause the rash caused by the bandage was just too painful to bear (and it left a discolored mark on my skin for MONTHS. I mean like six months. I thought it was permanent!) Not all areas of my skin are equally sensitive though.

Nae
January 11th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Did you all hear that there are brand new FDA recommendations for Ambien, especially for women? From what I remember from an NPR story when I was driving yesterday for some reason women metabolize it slightly differently than men. (But the new recomendations hold for men as well.) They have cut the recommended dosage in half due to these issues. They started with Ambien and generic Ambien and are now looking at some of these other sleep aides as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/health/fda-requires-cuts-to-dosages-of-ambien-and-other-sleep-drugs.html?_r=0