PDA

View Full Version : White 'bits' and zits!

Bagginslover
January 8th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I have 2 problems at the moment, that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with.

The first is these horrid white bits in my hair! I'm not sure its dandruff, as its only ON my hairs-its like big nit eggs, but ISN'T nits ;) I can feel them next to my scalp all over my head, and if I pick at them gently, they will slide down my hair shaft and off the end. Any idea what they could be, and if there is anything I can do to lessen them?

The other is scalp zits! I only seem to get them the day after washing, and they are the nasty white head kind. I have to burst them as other wise they are very sore, and my brush or comb will catch them and pop them anyway (if I burst them, I can remove all the puss instead of it caking onto my skin and hair).

I have a WC, or CWC routine (depends on how much time i have!), I heavy oil a day before washing, ans was 1-2 times per week. I have a VERY oily scalp, hair will look greasy 1-2 days after washing (I never wash as soon as its looking greasy, that would be way too often for me). I use Tesco's coconut shampoo and condishiner, Aussie leavin spary, and coconut oil. I use a wooden comb, Denman brush, and hair friendly toys.

Nique1202
January 8th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I don't have a solution but I do get the white bits attached to the hair which are definitely not nits, and large, tender pimples that need to be squeezed or they just get worse, though mine are mostly on the hairline.

I don't have oily hair (I only start looking oily at the scalp on day 4 after a wash, and it's still not enough to use a BBB to spread down to my dry ends) and my routine is usually just wash -> leave in conditioner -> olive oil on ends every 4-5 days.

You are not alone! I will definitely be watching this thread.

shutterpillar
January 8th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I have no idea about the zits, but could the white stuff in your hair be buildup? Have you clarified recently?

Kelikea
January 8th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I love Suave coconut dandruff conditioner. It actually has the dandruff medicine in the conditioner, most just have the shampoo. I CO with this or use a bit of Garnier Pure clean shampoo, just on the roots, then CO. And then follow with a diluted vinegar rinse. Not sure if you have the brands where you live. Good luck.

MegaMystery
January 8th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Maybe you can try mixing some tea tree oil in your pre-shampoo oil? I haven't tried it myself but it's supposed to be anti-bacterial so it might help :)
You can also put some in your shampoo/conditioner (not in the bottle of course, but on your hand as you're getting ready to shampoo.
I'm going to try this myself though, because I sometimes get zits on my scalp as well (and always in the same spot too, weird!).
I'll be following this thread because I'm curious what other suggestions people might have :)

Bagginslover
January 8th, 2013, 06:03 AM
We definitelt don't have Suave here, not sure about that particular Garnier shampoo, would have to check.

Its not build up-its still there after clarifying (I did think of that, I should have said that in my first post, sorry!) Hairdressers have commented on it in the past (mostly 'ew, you have HUGE nits....oh wait....no you don't, what IS that?!' makes you feel wonderful!)

I wonder if the white stuff, and the zits are connected somehow? Could it be 'pore junk', and where a pore gets blocked, I get a zit? I'd have thought I'd get them all the time though....

EndlessSunshine
January 8th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Try a gentle brown sugar scrub. If it a build up of sebum and dead skin then gentle exfoliation should help. I also recommend a dilu5ed acidic rince to help balance the scalps ph. I used to have bad greasy dandruff when I was a teen. Adding a baking soda and acv wash once a week help tremendously for me. I also recommend seeing a doctor.

When I read posts like this I want to hug you all. Scalp problems are never fun.

Soraine
January 8th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Might it be possible for it to be sunburn? On the rare occasion that my scalp suffers from a burn I always get white flakes that have holes in the middle of it to accommodate the hair shaft. As for the zits, is it possible that you are sensitive to your shampoo or conditioner?

goldloli
January 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
That sounds like scalp acne, like with the face it comes in many forms, those white bits being solidified puss/comedones. excess oil and shed skin, just like on the face, leads to acne inducing buildup. occasionally i get one or of those white bulb like bits, that means my scalp is not clean/im using a pore clogging poo or dish. coconut oil is highly comedogenic, this could cause them alone if you are applying near the scalp and leaving overnight.

Bagginslover
January 8th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Might it be possible for it to be sunburn? On the rare occasion that my scalp suffers from a burn I always get white flakes that have holes in the middle of it to accommodate the hair shaft. As for the zits, is it possible that you are sensitive to your shampoo or conditioner?
Have you seen the UK weather this year?! lol! No way its sunburn, at all! ;) sensitivity is a possibility, but I've had it for years, and I've only been using these for 6 months-ish.

That sounds like scalp acne, like with the face it comes in many forms, those white bits being solidified puss/comedones. excess oil and shed skin, just like on the face, leads to acne inducing buildup. occasionally i get one or of those white bulb like bits, that means my scalp is not clean/im using a pore clogging poo or dish. coconut oil is highly comedogenic, this could cause them alone if you are applying near the scalp and leaving overnight.
I only oil my lengths and ends, as my own oils get the top 2+ inches ;) A small quantity will be transferring on my brush and comb of course, but not wnogh to coat/clog my scalp I wouldn't think. I also get the spots when my hair is clean, but they clear up and go well before the next wash. Its so odd!

Sillage
January 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM
coconut oil is highly comedogenic, this could cause them alone if you are applying near the scalp and leaving overnight.

MTE! I would drop the coconut oil immediately and try not to get any conditioner on your scalp. A shampoo like like T-Sal from Neutrogena with salicylic acid could be helpful since salicylic acid is good against acne. I get scalp zits too sometimes and I like coal tar shampoos. My favorite is Ion Anti- dandruff.

HereIGrowAgain
January 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I get a really itchy buildup every so often. It seems to come on pretty quickly, and usually on second-day hair. I don't get scalp pimples very often, but those really hurt!

Anyway, I was getting the build-up so badly that it was itching on first-day hair, and when I'd scratch my scalp, I'd get a TON of gunk under my nails (ewwwww!!!!!). I mostly use Shea Moisture products, but I keep a bottle of Suave Rosemary Mint shampoo. I use that once a week. When the gunk starts coming around, I add a heaping tablespoon of baking soda to a big handful of Suave, and then scrub the living daylights out of my scalp. After that, I use a Apple Cider Vinegar rinse to calm it all down, and then I let it air dry (edited to add - I have also blowdried afterwards, and it turns out very pretty and soft). It feels very squeaky and like straw after doing that, before it's dry, but once it is dry it is soft again. So far, doing this treatment once a month has kept it under control.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I get huge scalp zits when I use certain shampoos and conditioners. That is one reason that I am so hesitant to try new products. I suggest trying different products first, and see if that helps.

spirals
January 8th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I had this in high school. I had acne, and the over-oiliness extended to my scalp. I had terrible scalp pimples that hurt. I didn't know how to treat it then, but in thinking of what works for my face, try this:
--castile soap, like Dr. Bronner's, instead of detergent shampoo. Detergent is just going to ramp up sebum production. I am currently using the tea tree formula.
--acid rinse, like vinegar, or in my case, citric acid (smells better). I dilute it for a rinse of all my hair, but pour some directly on problem areas on my scalp. I put conditioner on the lengths and let it set for a few minutes before rinsing out.
--if you use a leave-in, don't put it on the roots. Just do the ends.

dollyfish
January 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Sounds like your scalp is very sensitive, and reacting to SOMETHING in your routine. I'd recommend going WO (or maybe even NW/SO) for a couple weeks to give your scalp a rest. Wear your hair up or under scarves and hats to hide the grease, and try to keep scritching and scalp touching to a minimum. This isn't for your hair, after all, it's for your scalp. After a week or two (or however long you can stand it), slowly start experimenting with products and see if you can observe a reaction under these controlled conditions. Maybe it's a pH balance problem? Maybe it's the oils you're using? Maybe it's an allergy? And, if going WO or NW makes things WORSE then your problem is likely due to a lack of products! Either way, I think leaving your scalp entirely alone for a while would be a good diagnostic. Run this thing with the scientific method!

ETA: If you ever get really desperate, I recommend going to a dermatologist for some more legit diagnostics.

goldloli
January 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
MTE! I would drop the coconut oil immediately and try not to get any conditioner on your scalp. A shampoo like like T-Sal from Neutrogena with salicylic acid could be helpful since salicylic acid is good against acne. I get scalp zits too sometimes and I like coal tar shampoos. My favorite is Ion Anti- dandruff.

yeah tsal is great stuff! would be helpful for any other scalp conditions too.

also when i said clean, i meant (dare i say it) using sulphates! if i exclusively use sls free poo, then i get scalp acne, white bits and itchies from the buildup of skin cells and oils, pretty much as you are describing, so i rotate with an sls one. you dont wash your hair very frequently (as is the lhc way) so i imagine the buildup is worse for you. I wash my hair every other day for multiple reasons but a main one is that i have very oily skin and scalp, id rather just wash than have yucky hair and spots.

ravenheather
January 8th, 2013, 03:58 PM
The way you describe getting scalp pimples after shampooing and then they clear up until you wash again sounds like a reaction to something in your shampoo or conditioner. I get scalp pimples to. I do much better using a natural shampoo bar. I have several that I love from chagrinvalleysoapandsalve. I also vinegar rinse every wash. By the way my skin loves coconut oil and I find it clears up my complexion.

Seeshami
January 8th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Sounds like your scalp skin doesn't like something about your products. I absolutely love teatree oil for acne, and pimples and there are a lot of great hair products with it too. I would start scritching before washing to make sure your exfoliating your scalp and switch what your using CW and CWC wise.

Bagginslover
January 9th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Can't touch ANYTHING with salicylic acid-its the active ingredient in asprin, which I'm allergic to (I have had to have the school I'm a lab tech for remove it from their syllabus, after I had a nasty reaction when a class was making it!). Its a real pain :/

I'm thinking many of you are right, its either build up my products aren't coping with, or its the products themselves. Wearing hats/scarves daily isn't possible in my job (safety risk), so I'll try swapping products first. maybe try to find something with SLS to see if that'll cut through the build up, and also look into poo bars (no idea if I can get them locally!)
Is is possible to wash and condish without products? As I said, I can't do WO because of work, but are there food type alternatives that will do the same sort of job as S+C?

ravenreed
January 9th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Have you tried CO only? I have great results from it, and my scalp is happier than it ever was with shampoos of any type. I usually shampoo every month or so, and CO every other day. An ACV rinse helps my scalp stay happy too.

Bagginslover
January 9th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I have tried it, but my hair never fully transitioned, even after several months. My scalp was clear of zits, but the white stuff was like a curd instead of being hard, and my hair just felt disgusting!

I'd do it again if I could get through the disgusting stage, and cut the curd-gunk out.

Lauram
January 9th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Using hair oil on my scalp makes it break out. If I don't use any, they take a while to go away but I haven't had any issues now that I don't do that .

arcane
January 9th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I have had the white bits, I tend to clarify regularly and they go away. But as another thought, how clean is your brush? It could be putting them back into clean hair.

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2013, 12:55 PM
If not residue, zits, or clogged pores. Could you be allergic to something?