PDA

View Full Version : BC pill and hair loss - did yours grow back?

finzi
January 7th, 2013, 11:21 AM
For those of you who took the BC pill and experienced thinning, did your thickness recover after you stopped taking the pill? I was taking Dianette and my hair suffered so badly. I switched to Microgynon for a few months and stopped taking the pill altogether a couple of months ago. I realised today that it looks as though I have about 7" new growth (that's about jaw level for me, the rest of my hair is BSL) and wondered if (hoped!) it could be new growth that's come through since I switched from Dianette OR if it's just normal, everyday growth* which I'm noticing more because I'm kind of a longhair now. What do you think?

:confused:

ETA: * By that I mean does everyone's hair (even those with thin hair) have new growth as old hairs are shed and replaced, in the same way that skin cells are constantly shed and replaced?

Oksana
January 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I experienced quite a large amount of shedding when I started the pill (Yasmin) but I was then on it for 4 years and my thickness went back to normal, maybe thicker. I recently came off the pill and once again have had a big shed with it starting to now slow to normal. The body is normally very good at balancing things like this out.

How quick is you growth rate, 7" takes an average person 14 months to grow, so 14 months off the pill. If you grow 1-2 inches per month then yes it could be new growth off the pill.

finzi
January 7th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I've grown about 10 inches over the last 12 months so am undecided. It's good to hear that yours sort of balanced itself out again. Am keeping my fingers crossed. I've told myself that I'll probably have to wait about 8 months off the pill before I can judge whether or not my hair is starting to thicken up. I used to have SO MUCH hair and now it's thinning so much that my scalp shows when I pull my hair back for an updo! Much artful arranging of strands is necessary just to twist it up with a hair stick unless I want everyone to see how thin my hair is. Ho hum, time will tell!