PDA

View Full Version : Sebum or buildup?

Sharysa
January 6th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Ever since I started using homemade Dr. Bronner's based shampoo, I've been clarifying with Tressemme Naturals every week because I kept getting white residue under my nails whenever I gave it a test scratch around that time. (My scalp is oily and my hair's dry. Yay for contradictions!) Nothing else ever seemed amiss aside from the weird waxy stuff, so I figured it was just buildup and decided to clarify with normal shampoo every week.

Today my mom reminded us just after my shower that we were going to church, so I checked my scalp, got the residue under my nails, and realized I'd forgotten to clarify this week. Bleh. I just combed my hair thoroughly to stave off itchiness (I normally finger-comb only, but I use a horn-and-wood comb after I shower) before braiding it.

Now that my hair's dried, it looks considerably tamer than it usually does on a shower-day. Normally I have a lot of baby-hairs sticking out, and it takes a few hours to a night for my hair to settle down--plus it was rainy today, so my hair should have frizzed like whoa.

A couple hours ago I redid my hairdo and put a bit more oil in it, and I noticed the residue is not only almost gone, what remains is barely noticeable. And it would be VERY easy to notice anything odd on my scalp, given I'm Filipino and my hair's pitch-black. Plus my hair's really soft and shiny, and normally I only get the shiny-clean appearance the day AFTER my shower.

Could this be normal sebum that I didn't recognize for the past two months?