PDA

View Full Version : Cleverness with roots only henna.

burns_erin
August 25th, 2008, 01:27 PM
So this weeked i did my first roots only henna. I did about an inch down to the scalp. Then I puit a deep treatment down the lenght. I layed down on my side with my head on some saranwrap and had my sister roll up the length like a french twist then saranwrapped the whole mess. The length and roots stayed mostly separated (ie my deep treatment did not dilute the henna on my roots and the henna did not get much on the length where I do not want more color build up). So it was like a two for.

It worked amazingly well so it got me curious what you other roots only ladies do with your length?

GlennaGirl
August 25th, 2008, 09:12 PM
That is a GREAT idea.

I tried to do my roots the other day and failed miserably. I tried sectioning it but it's fine and flyaway and it was just...everywhere. So I did basically a full-head application, which I did not want to do. I don't want the henna/cassia-only part to get any darker, really.

I am DEFINITELY going to try your method next time. What a fabulous idea; thank you for sharing it.

Shanarana
August 26th, 2008, 02:26 AM
What a great idea......I'll be doing my roots this weekend and will save this thread to refer back too.

burns_erin
August 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Well, i am glad my idea gave ya'll good ideas. And I too have fine flyaway hair, so i mainly focused on the areas where it would be most noticeable, like the 5 different places I tend to part and the front hairline, I figure if i miss I can catch more next time. Roots only definitely seems to take more skill than full head. I may have to go bug people who do roots only.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM
It was Nat (sorry I can't remember her whole username, Nat and some numbers) who told she makes severel braids and applies henna on the root one braid at the time.

And if the wants to do the whole head, she then opens the braids one by one and applies henna to the lengths. I always think this is brilliant way! :)

I also like your deep treatment idea, maybe these two would work together..?

burns_erin
August 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
It was Nat (sorry I can't remember her whole username, Nat and some numbers) who told she makes severel braids and applies henna on the root one braid at the time.

And if the wants to do the whole head, she then opens the braids one by one and applies henna to the lengths. I always think this is brilliant way! :)

I also like your deep treatment idea, maybe these two would work together..?

They probably would work together, maybe even more effeciently because you could put the deep treatment on each section as you opened the braid up. now I just have to see if I can convince my sister to put my hair in braids.

Euphony
August 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I take one of those nifty hair color application bottles that have the pointy tip on them, fill it with my henna and do my roots like I would if I were using a chemical colorant. Then I take that pointy tip after I've saturated my roots and stick it in the top of a half bottle of Suave or VO5 conditioner and empty the henna in. I then do a henna gloss with the conditioner. I've read that a henna gloss' color doesn't 'stick' as well but gives a nice conditioning to the hair. I'm not concerned however with my hair getting darker (I'd actually prefer it).

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Okey, I found the whole username: Nat242, come here please to tell about your henna technique in your own words :flower:

burns_erin
August 26th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I take one of those nifty hair color application bottles that have the pointy tip on them, fill it with my henna and do my roots like I would if I were using a chemical colorant. Then I take that pointy tip after I've saturated my roots and stick it in the top of a half bottle of Suave or VO5 conditioner and empty the henna in. I then do a henna gloss with the conditioner. I've read that a henna gloss' color doesn't 'stick' as well but gives a nice conditioning to the hair. I'm not concerned however with my hair getting darker (I'd actually prefer it).

We actually tried using a carrot bag (you know for frosting), but my mix was just too thick, it worked okay with my sisters thinner mix. I had also tried one of those multi tip (it looks like a comb) root applicators and that was miserably unsuccessful.

Euphony
August 26th, 2008, 12:17 PM
We actually tried using a carrot bag (you know for frosting), but my mix was just too thick, it worked okay with my sisters thinner mix. I had also tried one of those multi tip (it looks like a comb) root applicators and that was miserably unsuccessful.
Oh thinking about it, I really should've clarified - I use that little bottle that has the lid with the pointy applicator, I have to cut the tip pretty far down so the henna will go through it.

burns_erin
August 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Oh thinking about it, I really should've clarified - I use that little bottle that has the lid with the pointy applicator, I have to cut the tip pretty far down so the henna will go through it.

Yet another doh moment on my part, I never thought to cut the tip further back. Sometimes I wonder about my brain. I looked at the tip of those applicator bottles after the miserable experience with the comb-like roots applicator and thought to myself "Heck, that is only marginally larger, it'll never work."

NurseMama
August 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Do you need to sand the plastic down? I am thinking that it would catch on hair pretty easily if not.

Islandgrrl
August 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I do the same thing Euphony does. I found a bottle with a slightly larger opening in the tip and it works great. I don't do the gloss at the same time though, I usually do it next day.

Nat242
August 30th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Okey, I found the whole username: Nat242, come here please to tell about your henna technique in your own words :flower:

No need, Arctic, you did a brilliant job of explaining it yourself!

Thank you :flowers: