PDA

View Full Version : Confession Time

Andrea H
January 5th, 2013, 03:56 AM
I hope I'm not copying another thread, and please tell me if I am. Figured I'd make this to get something off my chest and let others do the same.

I'm not embarrassed to say it anymore, now that it's over with but...I used to not brush my hair well enough, looking back I honestly don't get why I didn't. So one time I got a knot that just was NOT coming out and instead of just letting my sister cut the nickle size knot/mat out of my hair. It grew. A lot. All of my hair got stuck in this disgustingly large mat. For four years. I would work at it, but not for as much as I should have until one night(2010) it finally came out and I'm honestly surprised I still have hair. It's probably a little damaged from that, but after that I've made sure to take a lot better care of my hair.

So. Fess up.

Kwantslonghair
January 5th, 2013, 04:29 AM
When I was 10, I got mad for some reason and rubbed my hair frantically for like 10 minutes. Every hair on my head was tangled with the one next to it. It was a matted mess. Took my mom 4 or 5 hours to comb it out.

DarkCurls
January 5th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Yeeouch, both those experiences sound so painful. This is a good idea for a thread. :)
Hmm, let's see, what can I contribute...

I used to straighten my hair at about 250°C when it wasn't fully dry. I thought the steam coming out was a good sign. Right?

IndigoOptimist
January 5th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I had a similar thing happen with a tangle when I was about 10. My mum didn't brush my hair because she wanted me to start doing it myself, which I didn't. I got a hand sized knot in the back of my head. It was like a huge dread lock and my mum didn't have time to comb it out, so she cut it off. I ended up with the under layer of my hair being about an inch long, when the rest of my hair would have been about mid back at the time :(

Mesmerise
January 5th, 2013, 04:43 AM
I bought one of those "wet to dry" straighteners which you're supposed to use on wet hair and they release the steam... argh no wonder it wrecked my hair! (And I believed the instructions when it said it was "good" for your hair!!).

I must admit I have never had a bad matt in my hair. Partly because my hair doesn't really get matty. My DD on the other hand often has awful knots. She hates me getting them out now she's older though!! However, at times I will thoroughly go through it... it's not pleasant for either of us.

In the past I have cut my hair ridiculously... including letting friends cut chunks out at school (I was going to the hairdresser later that evening, to be fair), and letting a friend cut my bangs in a textiles class (it was GODAWFUL SHORT lol).

KittyBird
January 5th, 2013, 04:52 AM
I used to get terrible matting in my nape when I was younger. It was almost like my hair was trying to make dreads, and it was soo difficult to detangle them. My solution was to rip and cut the matted parts out, and then wear my hair in a bun or ponytail with an elastic while I slept. This happened several times, and in the period from I was 13 to 15, I always had short nape hair. Thankfully the rest of my waist/hip length hair was thick enough to hide it, but my hairdresser always yelled at me for cutting my own hair and making it uneven. My hair is more manageable nowadays, but I still get some matting in my nape sometimes, even though I always braid my hair or use a sleep cap.

I also went through periods of several weeks where I refused to brush my hair. The result were horrible tangles, which I ripped through with a brush :couch:

Mesmerise
January 5th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I used to get terrible matting in my nape when I was younger. It was almost like my hair was trying to make dreads, and it was soo difficult to detangle them. My solution was to rip and cut the matted parts out, and then wear my hair in a bun or ponytail with an elastic while I slept. This happened several times, and in the period from I was 13 to 15, I always had short nape hair. Thankfully the rest of my waist/hip length hair was thick enough to hide it, but my hairdresser always yelled at me for cutting my own hair and making it uneven. My hair is more manageable nowadays, but I still get some matting in my nape sometimes, even though I always braid my hair or use a sleep cap.

I also went through periods of several weeks where I refused to brush my hair. The result were horrible tangles, which I ripped through with a brush :couch:
Hehe my DD also chops her hair (including a chunk out of her nape which I gave her a good talking to for, because we've JUST grown out her undercut and she was finally able to wear it up without bits falling out of her ponytail). I'll also find other random cut bits of her hair around (sometimes she'll cut out a knot that's bothering her too much...)

woolyleprechaun
January 5th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I'm another one guilty of the 250 degree straighteners. The worst I did was spray my hair with hairspray prior to straightening the section. There would be a hiss and sizzle, and the resulting lock resembled a strip of plastic. One of my more.....interesting hair decisions.

DarkCurls
January 5th, 2013, 06:16 AM
I'm another one guilty of the 250 degree straighteners. The worst I did was spray my hair with hairspray prior to straightening the section. There would be a hiss and sizzle, and the resulting lock resembled a strip of plastic. One of my more.....interesting hair decisions.

I used to like listening to the hiss and sizzle when I straightened damp hair or hair drenched with heat protectant spray. (...)
But hairspray? Yeeouch.

Nae
January 5th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I remember being little and we had this round brush which I promptly got stuck in my fine little kid hair, then I rolled it around in my hair for good measure. So it became this knot of epic proportions. In my panic, I got it stuck about 2 inches from my scalp at the top of my head. My mother nearly cried when she saw me. (You must remember I was the girl that didn't even start to grow real hair til I was about 3.) She spent hours and hours trying to detangle me. I am pretty sure we were there for at least 5 hours. My poor Mom, and my poor mistreated baby hair.

hafattack
January 5th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I had the same thing as a wee one... giant knot in the back of my hair that i refused to let my mother touch for WEEKS. My mom also used to curl my hair for every Easter Sunday and I HATED IT.. I finally convinced her to let me do my own hair and I did a half up. I had to redo it multiple times because there was a good sized piece right in the middle of the top of my head that would not cooperate for anything. I finally cut it off at the roots. Mother was furious.

Scarlett brooke
January 5th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Coloured my hair orange once when I was younger spent my pocket money on it. In my defence it was supposed to wash out. It didn't and I had to go to a family wedding with patchy orange hair. Mum was furious!
Can we confess to stuff that we do now? Iv just used high lift tint and toner on my whole head and I love the colour I didn't think there was much damage but now it's not doin so well....... Iv had to cut quite a lot off the ends! Iv not decided if the damage was worth it yet because I do really love the colour! Hmmmmm

jacqueline101
January 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Mine still does just before it needs clarified it will matt up. It used to do it all the time.

Nique1202
January 5th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I dyed my hair black once when it was about APL in high school, and my mom hated it so much that after about two months she made me use drug-store bleach to try to get it out. I had chestnut brown ends, then about 1.5" of orange stripe, then mousy brown above that for quite a while. Then I cut to chin length once the "chestnut" had grown past there and bleached it all.

I consistently bleached my hair at that point for close to a year and got through most of the rainbow in Manic Panic, except it was never consistent because I was still drug-store-bleaching from medium brown to near platinum. When I put indigo-purple in, for example, 2" of roots were a very interesting gradated indigo and the rest of the hair was in various shades of bright to royal blue. At the time, a friend of a friend had a very intense and creepy obsession with blue hair, but I was afraid to bleach it more than once a month because of the colour change, so I had to put up with him leering at me every lunch hour for several weeks. I used every harsh soap I could think of trying to get it to fade out, from dish soap to bar soap.

I also used orange (slightly more consistent), yellow, teal (my very favourite at the time), and pink. By the time I got it round to pink, I was ~inspired~ by a webcomic character's pixie-with-chin-length-fringe hairstyle and tried to cut it in myself. The next hairdresser to touch my hair (about 6 months later) gave me SUCH a talking to. She had to shave quite a bit at the nape and trim off so much hair elsewhere to get it into a half-decent bob. Unfortunately, she didn't cut with the texture of my hair in mind, and it was pretty much a nightmare until it grew back out to a ponytail length.

I've made an awful lot of hair mistakes, but fortunately hair grows back and I learned some valuable lessons. Like don't try to bleach my hair more than a couple of shades lighter, and don't cut my own hair above shoulder length, and never try to bleach out black dye at home.

(I used to have a particularly mat-prone spot at the nape of my neck, but I think that was more due to silicone buildup than anything because once I went no-cone, I never had the problem again.)

sally_neuf
January 5th, 2013, 09:07 AM
When I was little, my big sister had lice and I sprayed cockroach insecticide on her hair :(

Fortresca
January 5th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Well... when I way like 12, I had a little bit of shorter hair on my forehead and it annoyed be, because it didn't stay in a braid or anything. A friend told me to just get rid of it, like cut it of or so. And well, because I'm a trichotillomania person, I did get rid of it. And then Ihad this bald spot... yeah. Always been a girl who parted the hair in the middle. Then I went to part it on the side. Well, kind of start of my heavier trichtillomania problmens.

bunnylake
January 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
The first time I ever used a curse word was because of my hair. LOL.
I was pretty young, like 6 or 7. I had long hair but refused to brush it and wouldn't allow my parents to brush it either. It was a rat's nest! So one day my dad insisted I allow him to brush it, but I didn't want him to so I hid the brush under the couch. He knew I must had hidden it, because he kept asking me where it was and I kept telling him I didn't know. Finally I said, "I don't know where that f--king brush is!"
Needless to say I got punished after that. And got a very short hair cut.

DancingQueen
January 5th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hmm, lets see...

11-13: sometimes used hot-combs on my dry hair. They never did the job, and I didnīt use protection.

14-17: straightened my hair just about every day - but I did use protection though. But to dry it and get volume, I flipped my head over, and used my fingers and a hot blowdrier to tease it a bit.

18: I discovered the wide tooth comb. Until then, I had been using a brush - on my 2b/c hair... Just ripping it through and wondering why it looked so awful all the time...

Kaelee
January 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM
When I was in high school I thought a Joe Dirt mullet was a good idea. I thought it looked AWESOME. For about two days.

High school was NOT all that long ago. I graduated in '06. :lol:

MychelleC
January 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Let's see...when I was 17 I died my hair black and tried to bleach blonde highlights on top of it. The blonde parts turned bright orange which at the time I thought was cool. Everybody had blonde so mine was creative. :) And I too did the round brush getting stuck in my hair as a child. And then there was the day, one of my earliest memories, when I took the scissors to mine and my big sisters hair. All I really remember is sitting on the counter and my Mom's face as she cut my hair, and her saying "damnit Mychelle" over and over again.

kaydana
January 5th, 2013, 05:37 PM

I used to do that! Straightened hairspray holds surprisingly well when you want the top layers to stick up vertically.

I wouldn't do that with my hair now, but I'd be lying if I said I regretted it. That hairstyle was so much fun.

Amygirl8
January 5th, 2013, 05:39 PM
One time I attempted to use my mom's old curler-thingy.
It was technically broken, so I figured I could use it with blow-dryer heat. This curler had combs in it, and I was trying to do it with my thin, fine, at-the-time wet hair.
Needless to say my hair got stuck really badly, and in my attempts to get it out I made a HUGE tangle and probably caused lots of damage to the pieces I did manage to pull out.
When my mom saw me she just came at me with scissors and cut it off. Luckily it was a small piece and blended into my hair alright. At the moment that piece is sitting at about waist length lol

rock007junkie
January 5th, 2013, 05:45 PM
When I was 9 I was doing my homework by candlelight and then I started to get sleepy and started nodding off...until the smell of burning hair brought me back to consciousness.

Kelli Kat
January 5th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Back in the 80s and 90s, I used a curling iron on my hair and would spray hairspray on my hair while it was wrapped around the iron. I thought it would make the curl stay better.

SerinaDaith
January 5th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I have dyed my hair every color and bleached it as light as I could go. No more of that although I would be lying if I said I wasn't waiting forma good silver streak to hit with manic panic.

Kaelee
January 5th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I used to do that! Straightened hairspray holds surprisingly well when you want the top layers to stick up vertically.

I wouldn't do that with my hair now, but I'd be lying if I said I regretted it. That hairstyle was so much fun.

It seemed like hairstylists liked to do that, at least back in the 90's. It's a wonder it didn't catch on fire. I mean, hairspray is FLAMMABLE, why would you saturate your hair with it and then put a hot curling/straightening iron in it? YIKES!!!

Seems to me that I did it to though. I learned it from my grandmom. *sigh*

Addy
January 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Riding a motorcycle without a braid/updo/bandana...

OMG! Never again!

chen bao jun
January 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM
When I was 9 I was doing my homework by candlelight and then I started to get sleepy and started nodding off...until the smell of burning hair brought me back to consciousness.
Heh, heh, I burnt some of my hair off once too. I was about 7 years old and I was cooking and the flame didn't come up on the gas stove. So I bent over to look to see where it was. And then it came up...
I've had bangs ever since.

chen bao jun
January 5th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Talking about ripping hair off..
Until last year I used to wear a hairstyle where I braided my hair every night into about 1.000 tiny braids and unbraided them in the morning. As you can imagine, this took some time. Eventually I'd get impatient and start ripping the little braids out, ripping off the ends of the braids...
Oddly, I never noticed that my hair hadn't grown at all in 12 years.
Also, I found out eventually that this was NOT what is meant by 'braidouts'. I found out that my hair looks just the same if I make about six braids, instead of 1,000?
I had no idea how to moisturize my low porosity hair at the time, so it was desert dry all the time as well. I have no idea why I didn't become bald from this, instead of merely staying at shoulder length for 12 years.
I used to pull the hair out of my head and eat it when I was a kid, also. it used to drive my mother crazy. Again, I have no idea why I wasn't bald from doing this--or in the hospital with a hairball in my stomach. Anyway, I stopped when I discovered nail biting at about age 12. I have no idea why I did this--hair doesn't taste good,f rom what I remember.

turtlelover
January 5th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I had a she-mullet in the 6th grade, and I would crimp the back of it with a crimping iron. The she-mullet was MY idea. What was I thinking? LOL

bekstamonkey
January 5th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I, too, have in the past been guilty of the steaming blow-drying, even felt like my scalp was burned a couple times from the excessive heat. Now, if I blow-dry (rarely) I always use the cool setting, and only for a short while, just to get drying started after my turbie twist.

In high school, for a few years, I had about 6-7" of length and used to apply fudge dyes, usually the lime spider (fluoro green). To do so, I had to bleach the nonsense out of it every couple weeks, like taking it from a very dark brown to almost platinum blonde - and instead of just touching-up roots, I'd bleach the whole lot all over again, as the green dye would kinda go a murky sludgy green after a while, so Id bleach everything out and re-green. My hair was so fried. I remember I could actually take a chunk of my hair, tie it in a knot and it would stay like that. Yikes. For years prior to LHC last July, I would bleach strips in my hair and colour the lot with red (the red was barely noticeable in my virgin dark hair, so the bleach was to bring out some red), and like before, I'd not just do roots, but whole strips over and over again because the strips would go brassy once the red had faded (I used a rinse). Add blow-frying to the mix, it's no wonder my hair was so damaged...I'd use tonnes of silicones to try and control the damaged frizziness, but it never really worked...thankful for LHC *phew* :)

Astraea
January 5th, 2013, 11:53 PM
As a child I'd endured the stove top hotcomb. Either my mother or an elderly relative would grease my hair and scalp with Dax (or some other pomade I found ferocious smelling), cool the comb from the fire and then try to keep me from squirming and crying as the hot grease melted and my hair crackled and cooked to overly shiny, slightly charcoal-smelling straightness.

Later I flatironed with water, and probably due to the above childhood trauma, also found the pop, sizzle, fizz reassuring...

spirals
January 6th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I've done it all at one time or another.
--tried to cut layers and ended up with a mullet
--teased my bangs and the sides, sprayed with hair spray, and burned into place with a curling iron
--used hot rollers or a crimp iron every day for a year
--ripped a brush through it
--got a curling iron stuck in it, yanked the iron out in frustration, and threw it across the room, only to have it hit the wall and break
--poodle-permed my curly hair--duh
--bent over and teased the whole of my hair, I mean all of it, and hairsprayed it to within an inch of it's life; it was the 80s
--spent several months washing, blowdrying, and flat-ironing every single day
--tried to go blonde and ended up looking like Big Bird
--got a round brush stuck in it, and almost had to cut it out

4C4rly4
January 6th, 2013, 03:03 AM
About a month ago, before I cut my hair above my shoulders to start fresh, my hair would get so tangled I would forcefully pull the tangles apart. I ended up ripping out lots of hair. :/

Angel Barchild
January 6th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I've done it all at one time or another.
--tried to cut layers and ended up with a mullet
--teased my bangs and the sides, sprayed with hair spray, and burned into place with a curling iron
--used hot rollers or a crimp iron every day for a year
--ripped a brush through it
--got a curling iron stuck in it, yanked the iron out in frustration, and threw it across the room, only to have it hit the wall and break
--poodle-permed my curly hair--duh
--bent over and teased the whole of my hair, I mean all of it, and hairsprayed it to within an inch of it's life; it was the 80s
--spent several months washing, blowdrying, and flat-ironing every single day
--tried to go blonde and ended up looking like Big Bird
--got a round brush stuck in it, and almost had to cut it out

I was going to give a list, but you did it for me. Lol it was the 80's and it was bad for hair!

AnnaB
January 6th, 2013, 07:13 AM
first time I used the curling iron, I didn't know how long to hold the hair. So I waited, and waited, and waited, until the hair burnt off and I was left holding a curling iron with my hair in it!!!!

Also, was so ashamed to tell the hair dresser I dyed my hair bright red, and then stripped it. So when she went to highlight it, it came out red not blonde. She had to do it again, and melted all my hair. Pure mush. I blame myself.

airmid
January 6th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I've done a few horrible things to my hair, as it seems many of us have. :)

The worst story I`ve got: when I was a teenager (I may have mentioned this before on LHC), I decided to shave my head. Which would have been fine, except I got frustrated with the cheap razor I was using and grabbed a bottle of `Nair` hair removal cream. And slathered it all over my scalp. :( The hair mostly came out, except for various little patches of velcro-like stubble, that peeled off my scalp over the next few days in chunks. And my scalp itself was red and came out in a terrible burning rash. I was so terrified my hair would never grow back- I had a very square and lumpy head, it turned out. But all`s well that ends well!

I also have less traumatizing stuff. I hated my cowlicks as a kid, once trying to cut them out (bad idea), and for a couple months in Junior High I tried smothering them with Dep gel, which turned my hair to a crusty greasy-looking solid mass. I also repeatedly bleached and dyed it funky colours for years, but that was pretty fun- wouldn`t do it nowadays but I don`t regret it.

June
January 6th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Hmmm, self inflicted:
-cut out tangles instead of combing them out
-go out in below freezing temp with sopping wet hair, then fold it up whan stick straight frozen strands got annoying...
-home perm (only did that once, but just because I didn't get a nice curl in my MBL hair, don't know what I expected)
-washed hair with hand soap after gym class, too much hassle to bring my own shampoo...
-got the traditional round plastic brush stuck in it

And abuse by others: I did some work as a hair model a while, and that was BAD for my hair, updos made by first spraying on tons of extra strong hairspray, then back-combing, than more spray, then curling with a hot curling iron.... I hope the updos are done in a more hair friendly way nowadays... Or that they use fake hair.

Kristen121
January 6th, 2013, 05:19 PM
In 9th grade I let one of my friends trim my bangs she she cut me. I still have a scar right under my eyebrow. I've had my share of hair dye disaster and once after a particularly bad one tried to bleach and re-dye my own hair. I ended up coloring my hair 4 times in 2 days. My scalp was sore and peeling from all the chemicals for weeks afterwards.

Naiadryade
January 6th, 2013, 05:54 PM
My mom always trimmed my bangs for me when I was a kid. At some point when I was like 6 or 7 they were getting a little long, but instead of waiting for my mom to cut them I took matters into my own hands with a pair of safety scissors. I don't think I even looked in the mirror. It was super choppy and uneven, and my mom was horrified when she saw me. She re-did them but of course they ended up really short.

That and your typical washing every day, blow dry, ripping through with a brush for most of my life, until maybe 4 years ago. But really that's not that bad compared to a lot of your stories!

What I did to my Troll Dolls' hair... that was a lot worse.

dwell_in_safety
January 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
When I was 8, my mother said that I would be allowed to get my ears pierced (which I really wanted at the time) if I could keep my own hair brushed and clean. That resulted in going days at a time without washing my hair and/or brushing/combing it. lol. In the end, though, my hair is fine, and I finally did get my ears pierced my sophomore year of college. :)

ginblossom
January 6th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Between the ages of 14 and 16 I straightened my hair every morning with an actual clothes iron.

Once I moved a hand-held whisk too close to my hair resulting in a huge chunk of hair being tangled in it and an hour of my friend carefully pulling it out, strand by strand.

A similar thing occurred as a child with chewing gum that I stuck behind my ear 'for safe keeping' and also a gigantic bubble from bubblegum. Splat. Hair around face = covered in gum.

At one point I was dyeing my hair every week. Ouch.

Hair straightened damp hair regularly.

Once flipped hair over and chopped off the ends for an at-home 'layered' look. It was a total mess.

Luckily things have changed! It's amazing my hair survived relatively unscathed.

betsb
January 6th, 2013, 06:51 PM
The woman my brother married wanted her bridesmaids hair in one style (pulled back from the front and left down in the back). The hairdresser decided to tease the heck out of my hair and put it in a french twist (I have no idea why but that has been my experience with hairdressers) and then hairspray it until nothing moved. Sister in law was not pleased. Between the teasing and the hairspray it took hours of washing and brushing (I used a bristle brush at the time---cringe!, couldn't believe the knots the teasing created) to get my hair back to normal, it was shoulder blade length at the time. I know it wasn't something I did, but reading your replies made me think of it.

One time I decided to trim the ends and quit (and cried) when it was below my ears and still the sides were not even. I've learned never to open the window I'm sitting next to in the car and will not ride in a convertible. I used to blow dry my hair all the time and wondered why it was always frizzy. Did some self dye jobs which didn't look bad but dried the hair. That was the same phase where I blow dried my hair after washing it. Eventually had to cut my dried out, color treated and damaged hair and start all over again.

theemeraldskull
January 6th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I used to tear through my hair with a hairbrush... my whole childhood and most of my teen years.

I recently bleached about half my hair, but I adore it beyond all reason, so it's all right. ;)

patienceneeded
January 6th, 2013, 08:39 PM
80's poodle-perm when I was in 8th grade. 'Nuff said.

Lostsoule77
January 6th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I've mentioned this one before, but when I was like 5 I let one of my 5 year old neighbors cut my hair off with safety scissors. I hadn't had more than a trim my whole life at that point and my mom was devastated. Had to cut it even shorter to even it up too.

When I was in 8th grade I convinced my mom to give me a perm. It came out great. Except that I knew you couldn't brush a perm, so I used a pick not realizing I could just use a comb. I somehow missed my whole nape area so that it turned into a huge knot after a couple of months. I went with my best friend to the hair dresser and she said the only way to get it out would be to cut it out. I refused, but didn't know what else to do. Luckily my best friend's mom did. She applied tons of mayo to my hair and took at least an hour to slowly comb it out. I had to shampoo at least three times to get the yucky mayo smell out, but at least the knot came out so I didn't have to get a bob.

Lastly I dyed my hair black with what I thought was semi permanent dye. Well it was actually demi permanent. I'd always dyed my hair red with the same dye and it always faded fine. I didn't bother to research and see that red is the quickest fading color and black the slowest. So I couldn't find any of the one day rinses and wanted black hair for my Halloween costume in 2009. That black is still in parts of my hair, though it is a bit below apl now and most people don't see it until I point it out.

OakTreeGirl
January 7th, 2013, 01:01 AM
I've always been pretty good about styling. Very rare use of curling irons or blow dryers, and never hair spray. However, because I was self conscious about oily hair, I got this idea into my head that the dryer hair was, the "better" it looked. For several years, I used only a claryifying shampoo with no conditioner. Yikes.

imaroo
January 7th, 2013, 08:37 AM
When I was in high school I thought a Joe Dirt mullet was a good idea. I thought it looked AWESOME. For about two days.

High school was NOT all that long ago. I graduated in '06. :lol:

oh man, that one just cracked me up. What did you do? Cut the back off? Or just deal with it?

I had a girl-mullet in high school, but I graduated in 1990. About half the girls I went to school with had a variation of that. Even at that, I'd still love to just "lose" all of those old pictures so nobody would know.

Another confession...I'm really bored with my hair color and I'm contemplating dyeing my hair. But, not with henna because that sounds like way more trouble than I want to deal with, so I'm thinking of using chemicals! :shocked:

Mayflower
January 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I have had fun with my hair troughout the years so I don't really regret anything, but looking back on it some things didn't look too good.
I have cut my own hair many a times: went from no fringe to a blunt cut straight fringe all by myself, cut random layers in my hair, gave myself an undercut,.. I have dyed my hair an awful orange-y red when I was 13 and it would not come out whatever I tried. Made the same mistake 3 years later. Sigh.

spirals
January 7th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I was going to give a list, but you did it for me. Lol it was the 80's and it was bad for hair!
Haha! Awesome. (as we used to say)

DisgracedAngel
January 7th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I used to dye my bleached hair various colours that were supposed to wash out, but because my hair was so damaged and I was impatient I bleached each colour out befoer I dyed it the next one, I did it once with henna too. All my friends said they couldn't believe my hair hadn't fallen out as sometimes I would change colour every week, and frankly I am too!

rtree721
January 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I would blow dry my hair on high heat and hold the blow dryer right against my ends so they would dry fast.
I also straightened my hair on high heat even when it was already straight.

Micayla47
January 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
andreah that is a crazy, but somehow cute story. it just sounds like such a little kid thing to do. i have stick straight hair and of course always wanted wavy/curly hair. when i was 8 my mom permed my hair and i wouldn't brush it for 2 years because i was afraid the curls would come out!! my mom had to bribe me with candy to get me to let her brush it once a week. also, from age 4--6 i, on more than one occasion, got up super early (before my parents) and cut off my hair and my sister's hair and all of our dolls' hair. i wonder what a child psychologist would say about that?

lostchyld
January 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM
My confession is that I only blow dry my hair if I want the steam burns... Because the steam on my scalp feels good to me despite being bad for my hair and scalp. I didn't do it often before I started growing my hair long with intent, because it's a lot of work, IMO, to do more than towel dry and braid my hair and most days I usually can't be bothered to even add a leave in once the water in the shower is turned off. Since I discovered my inner curly, I blow dry even less and use the curls as an excuse to escape the straightener.

Another confession is that I miss, and sometimes still use, my hairbrush with the little beads on the end that is supposed to be terrible for hair. It feels so nice on my scalp.

Rosethorn
January 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'm guilty of the "it's 3 in the morning and I'm going to cut some bangs because I suddenly want to and who needs to think these things through?". 'Nuff said.

CurlyCap
January 8th, 2013, 09:43 PM
To get my hair straight, I have to use a flat iron at 425F. It takes 3 passes to do a decent job.

Needless to say, my hair does not like getting straightened!

spirals
January 8th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I'm guilty of the "it's 3 in the morning and I'm going to cut some bangs because I suddenly want to and who needs to think these things through?". 'Nuff said.I recently cut my hair (cleaned up the layers). It was 3am. Insomnia.

MaryO
January 9th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Last year, shortly after having my baby I cut my SL hair myself while he was asleep! I blame it on the hormones but man did I feel stupid and still do!!