PDA

View Full Version : need a trim

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
I would look in the stickys, but a lot of them aren't working right now.

so .... I haven't had a trim in a long time. they asked me how long my hair is - i'm a lil pissed that just because my hair is longer than my shoulders that my trim is gonna cost almost $50. why?

ughh. gonna see about goin somewhere else. seriously lame.

plus, I am antsy about going somewhere because - I don't want someone to wack of my hair. I want a TRIM, like only cutting off the necessities. any ideas?

longcurlygirl<3
January 3rd, 2013, 05:10 PM
try trimming on your own with hair scissors. Or go to a beauty school, cheaper I heard. May S&D?

Kelikea
January 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
I have had good luck with Fantastic Sams and a barber shop. They didn't charge extra just because it is longer. I don't get how that works out when all you want is 1/2 inch off. Isn't it the same amount of hair being cut off, regardless of how long the length is?

BTW: My last trim cost $6. There is no reason to pay $50 unless you are getting a style or color as well.

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 05:19 PM
s & D? whats that?

Kelikea
January 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM
S&D=Search and Destroy
Search through your hair for split ends, destroy them by cutting with sharp scissors:)

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 05:24 PM
oh, I am talented in many things - cutting my own hair is NOT one of them!!!!!

lapushka
January 3rd, 2013, 05:35 PM
Try looking at Feye's self-trimming method. You might surprise yourself with the right instructions. ;)
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 05:37 PM
yeah I might but I have tried it before and I sorta suck at it.

dulce
January 3rd, 2013, 07:02 PM
Buy a creaclip,check u tube to see it in action.

Dorothy
January 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
I trust few people with scizzors around my hair. If it's a simple cut and no layers, I'd have a friend do it before I'd go to a shop and have them take off inches and inches. My ex does it - we're on good terms - about every 4 months I have just a bit cut off, less than 1/4 inch. You can't grow it if you keep cutting it off, and that's what a shop will do. IMHO, anyway.

akilina
January 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
Wow that is a lot...
Try places that won't charge for extra. Chain salons are not the devil. They often have absolutely wonderful stylists hidden inside :] You are likely to get a good price, and a cut you are happy with.

Make sure your stylist understands that you are trying to grow your hair out and make sure that they SHOW you how much you asked to be cut off so there is an understanding and no mistake of too much being taken off. Also throw out there that you might be looking for a stylist who supports your growing and will just be there for very small trims in the future.

I don't recommend doing self trims if you do not feel comfortable with doing them.

Sillage
January 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Chain salons are not the devil. They often have absolutely wonderful stylists hidden inside :] You are likely to get a good price, and a cut you are happy with.

Agree 100%. I went to a SuperCuts once and they did a terrific job. The stylist cut off my v and gave me an even hemline while preserving the length just like I asked for. The price was extremely inexpensive. I remember tipping her a lot because it was so cheap.

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I agree 50 dollars is too much for a trim. I'd look into self trimming.

PixxieStix
January 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I second (or third?) the chain salons. I've had good experiences with Fantastic Sams, it's what, $15 for a trim? And I have yet to have anyone cut more than I told them to.

patienceneeded
January 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Check out a barber shop. They are typically cheap and will cut your hair dry.

torrilin
January 4th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I usually go to a beauty school or a barber if I want a trim. I have a simple straight and blunt hemline (maybe leaning a bit U shaped these days now that I trim it myself, but nothing hard to cut), and if a beauty school student freaks at the length or texture, there will be a really experienced stylist on hand to help. Since I'm looking for a really simple cut that takes practice to do well, I figure we all win... it usually takes a student a half hour or so to do, but that's one more stylist who got drill on a classic cut. Even in Los Angeles, you can usually find a beauty school that does student cuts for under $10. A fancy Aveda or other salon branded beauty school will tend to be slower, and an old school place that's been around forever will tend to do much better.

With a barber, I wind up paying a bit more, but the whole thing takes maybe as much as 10 minutes. A lot of barbers feel my cut is so simple and basic and fast that they don't feel right charging me full price. I feel that having someone do exactly what I wanted at lightning speed is really valuable, so I usually just pay double whatever they try to charge me. But basically I'm looking to bring it up to at least $20. Being good and fast deserves decent pay.

Brenna
January 4th, 2013, 06:42 PM
well my hair is layered and it looks better layered, thus my inability to cut it myself

Brenna
January 9th, 2013, 07:25 PM
okay, thanx. I decided to bite the bullet. because of religious reasons, I'm not really supposed to have men see my hair. and this hair dresser has seen other women like me before. so I'm going on a sunday early in the morning to avoid this. plus, in my city, apprently, 45 is considered "normal" I guess.

things are more expensive in the aK