PDA

View Full Version : Updos for windy days?

DancingQueen
January 3rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hi guys, sorry to post two threads in one day. But I need your help for this one. :)

I have 2b/c hair, APL untretched and a bit longer when stretched. I really like wearing my hair down - my face just doesn't look good when my hair is all pulled away from my face. But I know that is the only way to make it a bit healthier, so I want to wear i up a bit more. I have tried using oil, but it doesn't really help. I do have some shorter strands (I am not sure if it is breakage or new growth - hoping for the last one of course), that help it look even crazier.

Only problem is, that it is very windy and cold right now. And if your hairtype is similar to mine, you know how it looks in windy weather: it goes crazy. :) So, I need some ideas for hairstyles that will keep looking good even in windy weather, but preferably something that is fairly easy to do. Maybe a hairstyle that is supposed to look messy?

I am very fascinated by vikings and their hairstyles, and hairstyles with braids in general. I just haven't found one that stay neat all day.

So, if you have any miracle-do's, that will stay neat no matter how windy it, I would love to hear about them. Hope Someone can help me on this one, I am getting a bit tired of looking like a mad scientist every time I walk out the door. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 3rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
I have 2b/c hair and I think French braids are excellent and tidy (and they seem to impress people), good for windy weather too. I am wearing one today. That was the "firmest", i.e. non-fly-away style I used to use at APL.

young&reckless
January 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
I am a totally different hair type but I have some face framing layerss to contend with. I suggest braiding the front or top later before bunning. It really helps secure it without having to learn new styles.

melusine963
January 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
I second Sarahlabyrinth's french braid suggestion, and also any updo that is reasonably tight and secure. For me that would be a nautilus bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE) or a hypno bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4eyFiTRqI). I can control how tight they are by scooping up more or less scalp hair with my hair stick. The only problem is that I can't wear a hat over a hair stick, so my ears get cold. :(

jacqueline101
January 3rd, 2013, 01:44 PM
I bun then cover with snood.

dollyfish
January 3rd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Yes to french braids. I think my hair is a bit thicker and coarser than yours, so it holds in hairstyles pretty well inherently. But I definitely get the mad scientist thing. My buns seem to fail in the wind in a...unique way. I think that french braids hold the best with most any hair hype (especially wavy), and it feels as if that increases exponentially with the number of french braids. If my hair is totally messy and I just want to wrestle it into submission for the day, two french braids will hold for hours. I can even sleep in them (sometimes). You'll get a lot of those new growth and/or breakage hairs flying around (at least I do!) but if you smooth your hands over your hair it looks like a chic sort of messy.

Vivalagina
January 3rd, 2013, 02:21 PM
I have 2 go to styles and my hair is APL+ with layers.

1. Regular Windy Day: Hair in a bun (I have been doing Spidermom's bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU) and lazy wrap buns lately) with a nice wide cloth headband. If it anything manages to slide out because of the wind, it takes me about 30 seconds to resecure it and have it look nice again.

2. Holy Crap That's Windy! Day: Side part my front, then french/dutch braid the two sides. Do a split cinnabun and secure with a few pins, secure the braids around the bun with pins, and then pin a hair net over the bun. That holds like a rock for me.

If my hair is damp enough I occasionally do double french/dutch braids, but my layers pop out the bottoms and makes me CRAZY so those tend to look unkempt for me by the end of the day if it's windy.

Chromis
January 3rd, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, tricky at that length! I would try a peacock twist held by either a Ficcare or a Flexi-8. You will still be able to fit a stretchy slouch hat over that style as well. Windy day French braids look like they have gone through a blender on me, but others here seem more talented at them :lol:

rock007junkie
January 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Braids are awesome against the wind.

ReghanC
January 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
I don't think I look good with my hair pulled up either. But I do like high buns. They give the illusion of being taller too ;) other than that I do agree that a french braid is very good for windy days. I also like braided buns. They are quick, easy, and hold on like nothing else!

Gumball
January 3rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
I tend to stick with a nautilus bun, but agree that snug braids will work wonders. I worry less about how a style will hold through a windy day and more about what level of Flyaway Hell my head will go through. Sure, my bun will be 100% intact, but it will be surrounded by what might appear if I stuck a finger in a light socket. :silly:

AngryVikingGirl
January 3rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Mmmm...not sure viking hair would help... ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/louis_cypher/7783646858/
But what about this one? It doesn't require the hair out of the face but still makes it neater...
http://www.myspace.com/tsirk/photos/53774354

DancingQueen
January 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM
Mmmm...not sure viking hair would help... ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/louis_cypher/7783646858/
But what about this one? It doesn't require the hair out of the face but still makes it neater...
http://www.myspace.com/tsirk/photos/53774354

Hehe, I ded mean female vikings, which is usually a bit neater that that :p Only something that will hold a little better that that.

I am afraid I have not mastered the french braid without flyaways. No matter how tight I pull it (which will make my face look even worse) it will just go mad. But please keep the suggestions coming, I will try some of the things in the thread. :)

MinderMutsig
January 4th, 2013, 03:40 AM
My secret is hats. There isn't a hairstyle in the world that will contain my flyaways on windy days on it's own without loads of hairspray or gel. So I just bun it and slap a hat on.

bunzfan
January 4th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I live by the sea so must days its a windy day, i find though a ficcare holds better than any other in a braided bun or a cinnamon bun.

melusine963
January 4th, 2013, 03:46 AM
My secret is hats. There isn't a hairstyle in the world that will contain my flyaways on windy days on it's own without loads of hairspray or gel. So I just bun it and slap a hat on.

This is true! :) Even just a bandana would help keep the flyaways in check.

Windflower
January 4th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I agree with the french braid. And I also use a silk headscarf to keep the wispy flyaways at bay. The silky material slips right off when I get inside without damaging my hairstyle.

DancingQueen
January 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I can say that a french braid didn't work for me - it looked even worse that wen I wear it loose or in a ponytail. So I guess that is not for me.

Maybe hats would be a good idea. My hair will frizz a bit with hats too, but not as much as other things. Maybe a braid with a hat on would help?

chou
January 5th, 2013, 12:31 PM
My hair is a bit shorter than yours (between shoulder and apl) but I like wearing dutch braided pigtails on windy days. They're face framing and easy to do and hold tighter than french braids. My other go-to is a high bun done with spin pins a couple days after washing when my waves have loosened out a lot. There is no force in this world that can shake that bun from my head when I use spin pins and also it protects my canopy from breakage. I think it looks nice because the bun is high enough that you can see it from the front, but you might not like since it's not precisely face framing.

sparkle'n'bling
January 5th, 2013, 10:14 PM
On windy days I add a few mini English braids to the top and sides of my hair before I ponytail it, then braid and bun as normal. The mini braids contain the worst of the flyaways and add a little interest to my style without taking too long to do.

Oldfashioned
January 6th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Whatever hairstyle I'm doing on a windy day (usually I bun it) I put aloe vera gel in my hair before I put it up. Using my hands of course, if I use a comb it can make things worse after it dries! It enhances my wurls and stays put. Gives a wet look to my hair but I prefer it to the mad scientist look. ;) Hope this helps.

neko_kawaii
January 6th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Shame you don't like how french braids look. Double french/dutch works great to contain my baby hairs. But, even better are what others have already said about scarves and hats. When I worked out of doors I wore my hair in a braid covered by a bandana tied at the nape with a hat over that. It is practical. It works.

If what you are concerned about is Fashion: think of the starlet riding in a convertible or boat. How is her hair styled? We have no idea because it is completely covered by a beautiful silk scarf. Why? So the wind didn't muss her hair and she can go to that cocktail party in the evening.

DancingQueen
January 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Shame you don't like how french braids look. Double french/dutch works great to contain my baby hairs. But, even better are what others have already said about scarves and hats. When I worked out of doors I wore my hair in a braid covered by a bandana tied at the nape with a hat over that. It is practical. It works.

If what you are concerned about is Fashion: think of the starlet riding in a convertible or boat. How is her hair styled? We have no idea because it is completely covered by a beautiful silk scarf. Why? So the wind didn't muss her hair and she can go to that cocktail party in the evening.

I do like how french braids look; they just can't contain my baby hairs and flyaways. I have to admidt that bandanas are not exactly fashon here - I don't know if I can even find one. But Once I get the chance, I might find myself a cute hat, and hope that will help. But I am probably going to try the braid with the hat thing. :)

airmid
February 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hi! I live in a very, very windy place, finding hairstyles that work has been a challenge. It's usually blowing between 40 and 90km/h, often much windier, all year round. I like to wear my hair loose too, and have lots of flyaways, which can be a problem!

So far, what has worked for me is wearing a hairstyle that looks good messy, yet will hold. Milkmaid braids are what I wear on the really windy days, covered with a scarf if it's too cold. I also find tightly knotted buns held with spin pins work well. Bobby pins don't hold buns in the wind for me, and hairsticks often won't hold either.
If the wind isn't too bad, I leave out a few shorter wispies, and I always try and make it look very lived-in and bohemian, so the flyaways blend in with the look.

I tried doing braids left down for a while but that didn't work at all, the wind would somehow mat my hair despite the braid and it would be almost as bad as wearing it loose.

silverthread
February 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
My face shape must be similar to yours, because I look better with my hair down as well. However, I have found that if I do a bun on the left or side of my crown, rather than right in the center, it looks better. I don't like using hair ties much on my hair, so what I've been doing is pulling my hair up and to the left, securing it with a scrunchy, then wrapping the pony tail around the scrunchy and securing that with another scrunchy, so it makes sort of a messy bun. I pin a couple pieces with bobbies, and leave some pieces out, to give it an intentionally messy look.

Lady Mary
July 10th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Bringing this thread back up because I'm having this problem. I live by the ocean so it's always windy. Unfortunately I look terrible with my hair pulled back severely or in tight braids, kind of at a loss of what to do. It's not long enough to do a nice bun yet, I'm hoping as it grows the problem won't be so bad. Very frustrating!

Anje
July 10th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Easiest, most effective thing I know is to tie a scarf or a bandanna over the whole shebang. Take it off when you go in, if you don't want to be doing your indoor things with a scarf on your head. Otherwise, make sure anyone who so much as gives your windblown hair a look knows that it's called a "hair halo" and that it's supposed to look angelic (and those aren't devil horns at your temples!).

TrapperCreekD
July 10th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Seconding Anje, the only thing I can think of is to cover your head. I seem to be in a permanent state of wispies, they refuse to be tamed! Bandanas or headbands help a lot but I still have them sticking out everywhere whether its windy or not.

meteor
July 10th, 2015, 03:47 PM
A hat or scarf over a compact braided bun (something like a braided LWB or nautilus) should work well. The wispies will happen anyway, but braided buns do keep hair pretty contained and tangle-free regardless of the fuzzy look.

Lady Mary
July 10th, 2015, 04:06 PM
It's very humid here so I have resigned myself to wispies, can't avoid them even if I wanted to, haha! The problem with the scarf is no one does that here except certain religious groups that ignorant people look down on so I am very reluctant to do that. I don't like to draw attention to myself.

I guess the answer is probably that my hair is too short. It's cover it or deal with the wind blown poof, for now at least :(

alexis917
July 10th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Braided buns work very well. You could also do a tucked French braid!

Lady Mary
July 10th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Braided buns work very well. You could also do a tucked French braid!

I'd look ugly with a French braid (too much hair pulled back) but a braided bun will be perfect... Once I have enough hair to do it haha :p I have to stick to "soft" looks because of my widow's peak hairline :(

meteor
July 10th, 2015, 06:35 PM
I'd look ugly with a French braid (too much hair pulled back) but a braided bun will be perfect... Once I have enough hair to do it haha :p I have to stick to "soft" looks because of my widow's peak hairline :(

How long is your hair at the moment, Lady Mary? :) We might be able to suggest some braided buns that will work... ;)

Lady Mary
July 10th, 2015, 07:02 PM
How long is your hair at the moment, Lady Mary? :) We might be able to suggest some braided buns that will work... ;)

Barely brushing the shoulders, so, very short for LHC standards. I look frightful when the wind picks up. POOF! :p

meteor
July 10th, 2015, 07:31 PM
^ Have you tried sectioning your hair this way: braid and cinnabun only the top section of your hair, then wrap the remaining hair around it (loose, braided or twisted). Or you could split the bottom hair in two sections again and braid and wrap them around the bun.
Or maybe doing 2 or 3 or more buns (say starting from 2 braided pigtails side by side or stacked on top of each other vertically, a-la braided faux-hawk?)
The shorter the hair, the more you might need to section it before bunning - to have each section long enough to make it easy to work with.

meteor
July 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM
^ Oh, and I totally forgot to mention: you can do Crown Braids of all kinds: rope-twisted, regular, lace-braided... Actually, I think crown braid is one of those styles that's much easier to do on shorter than longer hair. (On longer hair, the tangling can become unbelievable. :( )

Lady Mary
July 10th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I have a five head and a widow's peak so I don't do anything strongly pulled back because I look terrible. I think this is a major awkward length issue. I can pull it back but then I look scary, I need more hair so I can pull it back into something braided maybe without it being so tight.

The braided bun with just part of it and then wrap the too short for anything else rest around the bun would probably work really well in six months or so. I think I'd have enough hair that it wouldn't be too tight. Thank you :) I'll just be poofy for now haha