PDA

View Full Version : Your Oil Mix

Luminaria
January 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
I usually oil my hair with one type of oil. I've heard about mixing different oils. I'm not sure if it's more beneficial to hair if mixed. I'd like to try it the next time I oil. So, what's your favorite oil mix? How does it affect your hair? Is it easy to wash out?

akuamoonmaui
January 2nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
I call it my "ancient Chinese secret" only because it's a line from an old laundry detergent commercial here in Hawaii.....

I mix equal amounts of olive, coconut, castor and avocado oil. It has worked better than the single application of coconut or kukui oils I had done previously. (although kukui oil does amazing stuff.... it'll be in my next concoction).

dollyfish
January 2nd, 2013, 09:22 PM
Never mixed oils, but now I want to start experimenting...!

CrimsonRose
January 2nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
I like to mix coconut oil and olive oil. Leaves the hair soft and really shiny.

silkreel
January 2nd, 2013, 11:53 PM
I don't mix oils, but I have the highly expensive Morrocan Oil you can buy (don't buy it from a hair dresser though! Go to hair product outlet stores or when it is on sale). It's amazing - I used to need a hair trim every 4-6 months. When I started using Morrocan Oil upon the recommendation of a friend who was also growing hers out, my hair didn't need a trim for a year! Even then, the hair stylist was amazed that I hadn't cut it in so long and admitted it was still in good shape (in regards to it's ends). While the bottle is expensive, a little goes a long way and it lasts me a year!

woolyleprechaun
January 3rd, 2013, 12:45 AM
I have a few mixes, each for something different. My daily light oil is almond with a dash of olive and a drop of castor, and fragranced with a bit of lavender oil. My scalp oil is nearly all castor, and my heavy oil for treatments and prewash is mainly coconut with dashes of EVOO and almond. Pretty much the same combinations, but in different preportions.
I find it works well to personalise mixes. I always found coconut made me crunchy-ended alone, but as a mix- perfect.

LakeofGlass
January 3rd, 2013, 01:21 AM
I've never considered mixing oil. As a daily light oil, I've only used a small amount of grapeseed on my hands, and do a heavy treatment of olive oil before my wash. Normally I'm on a serious budget, and buying almond or any other more desirable oils is difficult. My hair has been pretty happy so far. When able, I sure want to try doing some kind of mix.

woolyleprechaun
January 3rd, 2013, 01:33 AM
I buy all my oils from an Asian grocery. Cheap as chips :D The almond oil in my chemists is 3x the price!

spirals
January 3rd, 2013, 02:13 AM
I have a mix of coconut, almond, jojoba, sunflower, and glycerin, only because I had those on hand and I thought, "Why not?" (I strarted with coconut, as many do after joining LHC, and had the sunflower on hand for my salt scrub. The jojoba and almond I wanted to try because they were ingredients in a spray oil I liked.) I don't think my hair likes my blend as well as using almond oil alone. Well, almond is good for everyday oiling, and coconut for pre-wash conditioning.

Majala
January 3rd, 2013, 04:26 AM
I mix coconut, castor and olive oils.

Allychan
January 3rd, 2013, 04:55 AM
I mix (for my scalp treatment), Castor/Avocado/Lavendar/Iodine then put some coconut oil on my ends and leave overnight

Neneka
January 3rd, 2013, 07:16 AM
I mix avocado oil and olive oil for heavy oiling.

Sillage
January 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
I've been trying to keep it simple lately and just use avocado and coconut for my pre dye and occasional pre shampoo oilings. For leave in I'm using Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade which is castor oil, coconut oil, cocobutter, hydrogenated soy oil, broccoli seed oil... good stuff! Not technically an oil but it functions like one.

Happytresses
January 3rd, 2013, 12:05 PM
I mix (for my scalp treatment), Castor/Avocado/Lavendar/Iodine then put some coconut oil on my ends and leave overnight

Allychan, why Iodine?

Luminaria
January 3rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
Allychan, why Iodine? I was going to ask the same thing :P How does iodine benefit hair?

Luminaria
January 3rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
I have a mix of coconut, almond, jojoba, sunflower, and glycerin, only because I had those on hand and I thought, "Why not?" (I strarted with coconut, as many do after joining LHC, and had the sunflower on hand for my salt scrub. The jojoba and almond I wanted to try because they were ingredients in a spray oil I liked.) I don't think my hair likes my blend as well as using almond oil alone. Well, almond is good for everyday oiling, and coconut for pre-wash conditioning. What is the glycerin for?

Allychan
January 3rd, 2013, 04:41 PM
There were some studies showing that Iodine applied to scar tissue can help regrow hair. Therefore I use it on my scalp in my oil mix and take Kelp to get the internal benefits :)
This isn't the study I read (I can't find it just now), but it does give you an outline of it's benefits for hair loss and treating alopecia http://www.livestrong.com/article/472168-iodine-hair/

ps Do Not use Iodine if you are alergic to shellfish!!!

ravenreed
January 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM
For heavy oiling, I usually mix castor oil with lighter oils such as argan, camellia, or meadowfoam seed. For my ends I usually do a mix of argan and camellia.

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
so what do some of you with greasy scalps use?

Allychan
January 3rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
I have easily greasy hair and I put my oil mixes on at night, that way I can wash it out the following day and not look like a greaseball but still get the benefits of oiling regularly
PS:Not stalking you or anything Brenna (:bigeyes:snicker snicker:bigeyes:), we must be in the same time zone or something? I keep seem to be following you in the threadboard?

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM
yeah - i don't think we're in the same time zone, lol. I'm from AK, and for those of you that don't know, thats ALASKA, not Arkansas.

okay, thanx for the heads up

Luminaria
January 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
For heavy oiling, I usually mix castor oil with lighter oils such as argan, camellia, or meadowfoam seed. For my ends I usually do a mix of argan and camellia. Does it thin out the castor oil well?

jacqueline101
January 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I created my own oil mix added water and mist it on daily. My hair loves the mixture and I think that's key you've to pick what your hair likes.

chen bao jun
January 6th, 2013, 06:49 PM
My scalp likes oils but I find that my hair likes butters--heavier things.
I used either EVCO or EVOO to prepoo (with heat) sometimes mixed with castor oil, but after I shampoo I put in a mix of shea butter, coconut oil and cocoa butter. Actually, I was using using that, but now my sister in law has made some secret recipe that starts with shea butter and coconut oil but has some different ingredients in it that I like better. I know it includes broccoli seed oil but as for the rest, I cannot say.
Has anyone on here heard of using pequi oil as an anti-frizz?
I have very dry hair that sucks up moisture (fairly common, but not universal for people with the tighter curly hair)--I know that people with other hair types often can't use such heavy oils or butters, but I really need them. so I'm putting it out there. My hair was desert dry for years and I didn't realize that was the problem--thought my hair texture was naturally crunchy but it just needed MOISTURE!
I have to spritz with something moisturizing (I have a rosewater spray) before adding butter mixtures, unless I just washed, but I have to oil daily.

Nique1202
January 7th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I've been using a couple of drops of plain olive oil after every washing, but next time I'm at one of the bulk or health food stores in town, I'm planning to have a look for coconut oil to try on its own. It'd be nice to have a dedicated bottle of oil for hair and not have to drag the huge bottle of olive oil in from the kitchen every time. XD

chevelure
January 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I only have a mix of oils that I use for scalp massages the night before I wash my hair (on my length post-wash I've just started using pure camellia oil, and I absolutely love it!). So for the scalp massage, I have a mix of approx. 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/4 tsp camellia oil, plus 10 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender eo because they've been said to help hair growth.

Four years ago when I had waist-length hair (it's now just below chin-length), I found that coconut oil and olive oil mixed together made my hair very soft and gave it a nice sheen and depth of color without any crunchiness at the bottom. This is probably because they're two of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft, and that ability is actually increased when they're mixed together. But if I had to choose one oil for pre-wash treatments, I'd choose coconut oil. I just never got it to work well for regular oilings without looking like a greaseball shortly after. That's why I'm now in love with camellia oil, because it gives a nice slip and sheen without making my hair oily/stringy.

Neecola
January 8th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I buy all my oils from an Asian grocery. Cheap as chips :D The almond oil in my chemists is 3x the price!

Good tip; I'll have to check into that!

I usually only oil pre-wash as its too heavy for my hair as a leave in. I make my own infused oils for this purpose. I like coconut oil, olive or almond.

Luminaria
January 12th, 2013, 05:08 PM
My scalp likes oils but I find that my hair likes butters--heavier things. I used either EVCO or EVOO to prepoo (with heat) sometimes mixed with castor oil, but after I shampoo I put in a mix of shea butter, coconut oil and cocoa butter. Actually, I was using using that, but now my sister in law has made some secret recipe that starts with shea butter and coconut oil but has some different ingredients in it that I like better. I know it includes broccoli seed oil but as for the rest, I cannot say. Has anyone on here heard of using pequi oil as an anti-frizz? I have very dry hair that sucks up moisture (fairly common, but not universal for people with the tighter curly hair)--I know that people with other hair types often can't use such heavy oils or butters, but I really need them. so I'm putting it out there. My hair was desert dry for years and I didn't realize that was the problem--thought my hair texture was naturally crunchy but it just needed MOISTURE! I have to spritz with something moisturizing (I have a rosewater spray) before adding butter mixtures, unless I just washed, but I have to oil daily. I have very curly hair too. I've just tried a shea butter and coconut oil mix recently and it works well! It made my hair silky and smooth without feeling too oily. I hope it'll be easy to wash out with no poo.

PixxieStix
January 12th, 2013, 11:18 PM
My oil mixes are all over the place, and I'm not super consistent in what I do besides my washing routine, but my hair is pretty forgiving and likes a lot of things. It loves coconut oil and shea butter on the ends, EVOO deep oil treatments, and I tried a coconut oil pre-wash treatment the other day as my hair has been more tangly than usual (I blame the dry winter weather), and it worked wonderfully. I also have the sample trio of Nightbloomings panacea that my ends like as an every few day oiling. For my scalp, I'm using Aveda's Invati Scalp Revitalizer with a few drops of rosemary EO. Just ran out of the rosemary EO last night and ordered some of the organic stuff from Mountain Rose Herbs, and while I still plan on using my Invati/EO mix daily, I'm going to try a castor, coconut, avocado and rosemary EO mixture on my scalp the night before a wash to see if it does anything to help the thin areas. We'll see though! I like that I can use my home made body butter (Shea, avocado butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil) on my ends/hair if I don't feel like mixing up anything else. I used to keep a few small bottles/jars of various mixtures around but have since used them all up and usually just mix stuff up in my palm before application, but I should do the pre-mixed bottle thing again, that was way handier!

spirals
January 13th, 2013, 12:36 AM
What is the glycerin for?I wanted to include a humectant to encourage curl. My hair seems to like glycerin.

spirals
January 13th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I've been using a couple of drops of plain olive oil after every washing, but next time I'm at one of the bulk or health food stores in town, I'm planning to have a look for coconut oil to try on its own. It'd be nice to have a dedicated bottle of oil for hair and not have to drag the huge bottle of olive oil in from the kitchen every time. XDI use a liquid makeup that comes in a frosted-glass pump botte. Once I emptied the last bottle, I cleaned it out with soapy water and then rinsed it with rubbing alcohol. I keep some hair oil in it on the bathroom sink. It looks nice and pumps out just a few drops for me. My face oil is in one of those oil bottles you'd put next to the vinegar on the dinner table.
I have most of my pretties out on the sink, in fact. I have a jewelry tree and a tray for my hair flowers, and my hair sticks are in a bud vase. I also have a small jewelry box. I'm hopelessly girly. :flower:

Elenna
January 13th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I've tried so many oils: coconut, avocado, olive, camellia, jojoba, rose, borage, sunflower, ojon, shea butter, etc. I found out that I need to use the oils after the shampoo otherwise, the oil just clings to my hair causing build up & greasy hair. Fine hair just can't take too much or too heavy of an oiling. Lately what's working, I've mixed rosemary oil (sometimes), almond oil (whole tablespoon), castor oil (quarter teaspoon) into my conditioner. The castor oil is amazing for getting my silvers shiny looking. The conditioner emulsifies the oil so the oil disperses & rinses out easier. Afterwards, I apply some baby oil (couple of drops max) to detangle.

As soon as I have some funds, I'm going to try argan oil. I have my eye on Aura Cacua argan oil or Mt. Rose Herbs argan oil.

DarleneH
January 13th, 2013, 06:52 AM
As soon as I have some funds, I'm going to try argan oil. I have my eye on Aura Cacua argan oil or Mt. Rose Herbs argan oil.

For plain argan oil, I haven't seen anybody beat Camden-Grey's prices. I got a pound for $30 total, and that'll last me for ages.

Naiadryade
January 13th, 2013, 09:21 AM
On my scalp, I'm loving the mix I made around xmas time (I made an almost identical mix for my dad to help his thinning hair). It's over half castor oil, with sweet almond oil coming in second, and an estimated 10% jojoba oil. It's also got about 2% total essential oils: lavender, lemon, clary sage, wild thyme, texas cedarwood, and geranium. I massage a few drops of this, one drop at a time, into my scalp before bed every day or two. It's too early to tell if it's helping my hair grow faster, but I already love it anyway! It definitely makes my scalp a lot less itchy and dandruffy, and I like what it does to the texture of my hair too... it's not too heavy, it just enhances my waves and makes them almost wurls.

On my length, I just use a few drops of olive oil every couple of days (whenever my hair is starting to feel a little dry). I might use a double or triple dose of it 12-24 hours before I know I'm going to wash. This makes my hair a LOT easier to detangle, makes it soft and shiny, and enhances my waves. I want to get another little bottle though, to mix some essential oils in with the olive oil.

raebbit
January 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I am in love with jojoba oil. It's by far my favourite oil. I used to use coconut oil on it's own, but it never seemed to make my hair soft at all. In fact it often left my ends crunchy. From the moment I switched to jojoba oil my hair felt amazing, all soft and so shiny.
I use straight jojoba oil with whatever EO's on my lengths after washing. My prewash oil is usually a grape seed-jojoba mix with rosemary, thyme, lavendar and cederwood EO's mixed in. I try to massage this one in and leave it over night or at least for one hour before washing.

raebbit
January 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I use a liquid makeup that comes in a frosted-glass pump botte. Once I emptied the last bottle, I cleaned it out with soapy water and then rinsed it with rubbing alcohol. I keep some hair oil in it on the bathroom sink. It looks nice and pumps out just a few drops for me. My face oil is in one of those oil bottles you'd put next to the vinegar on the dinner table.
I have most of my pretties out on the sink, in fact. I have a jewelry tree and a tray for my hair flowers, and my hair sticks are in a bud vase. I also have a small jewelry box. I'm hopelessly girly. :flower:

Such a brilliant idea! i will have to go in search for some pretty glass pump bottles. Much nicer looking than my cheap plastic bottles...

Luminaria
January 19th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I wanted to include a humectant to encourage curl. My hair seems to like glycerin. I'll try it sometime. My curls turn to frizz in a few hours after washing.

kidari
January 19th, 2013, 02:00 AM
I rotate and use a lot of oils and essential oils. Sometimes I use one alone and other times I mix them. I might mix coconut oil with coconut milk and honey for a treatment. Other times I might just use coconut milk by itself or coconut oil by itself. Sometimes I mix shea butter with coconut oil with other oils maybe with an essential oil or two. I experimented with scalp oilings and I would put rosemary oil with whatever oil I was using or peppermint oil and other times I mixed the two with a carrier oil. I also love to use coney serums with oils in them and I might add several drops of my own oil to it- I did this with my Macademia oil product (I added several drops of camellia oil to it).

Luminaria
January 21st, 2013, 12:58 AM
I rotate and use a lot of oils and essential oils. Sometimes I use one alone and other times I mix them. I might mix coconut oil with coconut milk and honey for a treatment. Other times I might just use coconut milk by itself or coconut oil by itself. Sometimes I mix shea butter with coconut oil with other oils maybe with an essential oil or two. I experimented with scalp oilings and I would put rosemary oil with whatever oil I was using or peppermint oil and other times I mixed the two with a carrier oil. I also love to use coney serums with oils in them and I might add several drops of my own oil to it- I did this with my Macademia oil product (I added several drops of camellia oil to it). Coconut milk works great for me! I haven't tried it with honey though.

rock007junkie
January 21st, 2013, 09:11 AM
For my scalp I use mustard oil with a couple of drops of cinnamon oil (just to get the extra warming feeling). I love it. The cinnamon tones down the smell of the mustard and I get the extra tingly feeling when I apply. For my length I got an amla oil from Butters-n-Bars. It has Amla, sesame and castor oil (Bergamot, rosemary and grapefruit essential oils for smell). This one leaves my hair really soft and smells great.

Long_hair_bear
January 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
Nightblooming mixes oils for me, and thank God too, because if I tried myself, I'm sure I'd end up with a huge mess, even bigger than the one I have after baking!

I just got two bottles of her custom oil blends, one for my scalp and one for my length. Both are lovely and amazing!

My scalp oil blend consists of:
Castor
EVOO
Foraha
Evening Primrose
Almond
And several essential oils :)

My length oil is a blend of:
avocado
borage
sesame
rosehip
sunflower
sea buckthorn
cedarwood

Loving them lots! Shiny soft hair ftw!

coffinhert
January 21st, 2013, 04:09 PM
I've been doing half/half castor/coconut for a couple years and LOVE it. I rub a lot of it onto my scalp then use CO to get it out and it washes out with no problem and leaves my hair so soft and bodacious.

Luminaria
January 25th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Nightblooming mixes oils for me, and thank God too, because if I tried myself, I'm sure I'd end up with a huge mess, even bigger than the one I have after baking! I just got two bottles of her custom oil blends, one for my scalp and one for my length. Both are lovely and amazing! My scalp oil blend consists of: Castor EVOO Foraha Evening Primrose Almond And several essential oils :) My length oil is a blend of: avocado borage sesame rosehip sunflower sea buckthorn cedarwood Loving them lots! Shiny soft hair ftw! What is Foraha and what does it do? I've heard about borage, sea buckthorn, and rosehip, but how do they benefit hair?

LadyLongLocks
January 25th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I have mixed coconut oil and Jojoba oil in the winter due to coconut becoming so solid.
I never wanted the oil to freeze in my hair either.

Luminaria
February 3rd, 2013, 02:38 AM
I've tried so many oils: coconut, avocado, olive, camellia, jojoba, rose, borage, sunflower, ojon, shea butter, etc. I found out that I need to use the oils after the shampoo otherwise, the oil just clings to my hair causing build up & greasy hair. Fine hair just can't take too much or too heavy of an oiling. Lately what's working, I've mixed rosemary oil (sometimes), almond oil (whole tablespoon), castor oil (quarter teaspoon) into my conditioner. The castor oil is amazing for getting my silvers shiny looking. The conditioner emulsifies the oil so the oil disperses & rinses out easier. Afterwards, I apply some baby oil (couple of drops max) to detangle. As soon as I have some funds, I'm going to try argan oil. I have my eye on Aura Cacua argan oil or Mt. Rose Herbs argan oil. Wow, you've tried many oils too. I find my collection growing steadily. I'd like to try camellia one of these days. I've heard that it is light and sinks in easily. I have Argan oil, and it's alright. It's a light oil and makes my hair shiny (and maybe a little smooth). Other than that, it doesn't do that much for me.

spirals
February 4th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Such a brilliant idea! i will have to go in search for some pretty glass pump bottles. Much nicer looking than my cheap plastic bottles...

http://www.sunburstbottle.com/glass-bottles

http://www.herbco.com/c-8-glassware.aspx

I don't know how far they will ship.