PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Milk Question

Natalia
January 2nd, 2013, 04:20 AM
Bit of a noob question from a regular but im a believer in that the only dumb question is the one you didnt ask soooo.... When doing a coconut milk soak is it still beneficial if its been frozen? I have leftovers frorm making muffins i froze 2 weeks ago so its not like its old but i wasnt sure. Didnt want to crack open a new can when im just doing the last 6 inches or so but i will if i have to then i'll just have to make tapioca or something. Any advice for me? Planning to do this later today.

melusine963
January 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
I have no experience with coconut milk whatsoever, so feel free to ignore this. My guess is if it's safe to eat then it's probably ok to put on your head?

Sillage
January 2nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
I agree with Melusine because I can't see how freezing it would cause any damage to the coconut milk :)

HairFaerie
January 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
I always refrigerate the coconut milk before using it mainly because it's easier and less messy to work with when it is solid. Frozen should be fine but you might want to let it thaw a few hours in the fridge before using so it isn't too hard.

RileyJane
January 2nd, 2013, 09:19 AM
i dont think freezing would change the composition of the coconut milk, id prob just let it thaw out and use it :)

redsiren
January 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
What are the benefits of a coconut milk soak?
Please share your routine (plus your recipes)
From a fellow noob:D

Natalia
January 2nd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone :) turns out though what i had in my freezer was coconut cream. Not real coconut cream though just thickened full fat which decided would be to hard to get out as its very solid at room temp. Oh well now i have coconut tapioca and a hair treatment ;) not such a bad outcome for cracking open a can lol.

Please share your routine (plus your recipes)
From a fellow noob:D

General consensus from my searching is moisture treatment though some say protein. Me i just took a can of half fat coconut milk put it in a bowl, braided my hair 2/3 of the way down, then dunked the tail in till it was saturated, left it a bit drippy then but a bagie over the ends and a scrunchie to hold it on. I did it early so i can re-dunk it a few times to get optimal saturation. Still have it on now about ready for another dunk before i do dishes. Going to wash it out tonight when i shower with my sulphate free poo and follow with my trader joes condish.

Audhumla
January 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM

General consensus from my searching is moisture treatment though some say protein.

My understanding is that the benefit of a coconut milk treatment is at least mostly from the coconut oil that is suspended in the coconut milk.
There is also about 2% protein by weight in coconut milk but I would say that's unlikely to contribute thaaat much to the effects it has however coconut oil itself (which makes up about 20-25% by weight of coconut milk and has no protein content of its own obviously as it's 100% fat) has been said to prolong the effects of protein treatments by "sealing in protein" to use the fuzzy science language of haircare.
I can't say whether it acts as a moisture treatment or not because I haven't come across information on the chemical composition of coconut milk.
Probably best to make your own decision on that one.

Luminaria
January 3rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
I froze coconut milk before, but when I thawed it out it was grainy. I think the fat separated.

Natalia
January 3rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
I have some happy ends today :). They kinda felt better just rinsed than after shampooing so maybe next time i'll do that. Still a nice treat

kidari
January 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
I've soaked my hair in coconut milk prior to washing with amazing results. It's just a bit drippy and messy. I came across some coconut milk shampoo recipes on the internet but I have hard water and using castille soap is not an option for me so I've been simply mixing it with my favorite shampoo to dilute it. I get a small travel size squeeze bottle with a flip top lid and fill it with 40% coconut milk and 60% Matrix delicate care shampoo and shake it up. I've been loving the results but I still need conditioner after washing.

redsiren
January 4th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I have some creamed coconut (ingr. Real creamed coconut.)
Will this do the trick?
There is a lot of protien in there (6.5 Gr. Per 100 ml)

Natalia
January 4th, 2013, 03:12 AM
I have some creamed coconut (ingr. Real creamed coconut.)
Will this do the trick?
There is a lot of protien in there (6.5 Gr. Per 100 ml)

on the nutritional pannel does it have any fiber? That would indicate pureed coconut pulp which would be hard to get out.

MegaMystery
January 4th, 2013, 03:20 AM
I have tried it before with creamed coconut. I can't comment on the amount of pulp though because I mixed it with my henna so the henna made it harder to rinse it out. When I mixed it it looked pretty smooth though (I mixed the creamed coconut with some hot water to make it melt).
Beware though, I tried to put it in the microwave before (just the block and nothing else), and it turned out horrible :( So mix it with hot water to make it soft, it works better!

redsiren
January 4th, 2013, 03:44 AM
No it doesn't say fibre at all.
And I was thinking about melting it au bain marie.
Because I already noticed a layer of coconut oil and it feels kind of hard so Yeah mixing it with hot water sounds like a good idea.
I guess I'll be trying this soon:)

redsiren
January 4th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Do I have to shampoo it out?
Or will rinsing be enough like with the coconut milk?

jojo
January 4th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Lots on here do coconut milk/cream soaks, i really like them as they make my hair so soft, they can make hair a little greasy on some people. Washes out no problem.

dollyfish
January 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I thought of this thread when I saw a sale on coconut milk at the store today. I figure if my hair doesn't like it I can drink the rest :D

Natalia
January 4th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Do I have to shampoo it out?
Or will rinsing be enough like with the coconut milk?

I think with a full fat cream id shampoo it out you can try blotting out the extra at the end and then smt it if you are co though. I did low fat coconut milk which i think would have been fine with just wo.

redsiren
January 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I think I will try this in a couple of days.
Thank you all for answering my questions:)

Natalia
January 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I think I will try this in a couple of days.
Thank you all for answering my questions:)

No problem i hope your hair likes it!

redsiren
January 12th, 2013, 05:38 AM
So I tried the creamed coconut today....
There was fibre in there:D it didn't say so on the box but it did.
It smelled lovely though, and it did the trick, it wasn't too hard to wash out but in the future I'll just use it in my asian dishes;)
I like the taste better than what it does for my hair ( wich is the Same as coconut oil btw, for me anyway)
Thanks for you advice and good luck with you coconut adventures:)

ETA: I will however be trying coconut milk sometime soon:)