PDA

View Full Version : Does oiling your hair make it seem thinner?

infinity_girl
January 2nd, 2013, 02:53 AM
I think my hair is in much better condition than it used to be. I started using oils such as argan and occasionally coconut oil. My hair seems to be a lot softer and silkier but I have noticed that my ponytail seems to be a lot less thick than it used to. Is it possible that the oils are making the individual hairs sleeker and that is making it appear that my hair is thinning? I have not noticed excess hair loss in the shower or anything. Does anyone else find that oiling makes their ponytails/general thickness seem less thick? Please ease my worries!

melusine963
January 2nd, 2013, 03:08 AM
I imagine it's possible that sleeker strands take up less volume. Oiling also tends to make the hair strands clump together more and take up less space, expecially if hair is over oiled or the oil is not distributed properly.

hairhair
January 2nd, 2013, 03:53 AM
I think that oiling makes my (fine) hair appear to have thicker strand thickness, by adding to it, but less overall thickness because it tends to reduce "fluffiness". However, this is based on periods of CO washing (with oil-containing conditioner) rather than oiling so YMMV. :)

The-Young-Maid
January 2nd, 2013, 03:58 AM
Oiling does the same to my hair, it just makes it smoother.:)

Natalia
January 2nd, 2013, 04:12 AM
it does for me but its temporarly. a perk for me of going wo was extra thickness but when i oil i go back to my co/s&c thickness but it is very soft, in about 3 days onc emy hairhas wicked it up and some has rubed off it goes back to normal.

Majala
January 2nd, 2013, 04:14 AM
This happens to me only if I oil after washing, even if it's just a drop of oil. Oiling before washing and washing it out well makes my hair seem fuller I think.

joesgirl2011
January 2nd, 2013, 04:20 AM
I just started using Argon oil last week. I have used Coconut oil for the last two years now..wow time goes fast. I found that if I use too much it makes my hair so sleek my pony tail is super thin. My hair also lays more flat when I wake up the next morning if that makes sense. :)

gizmocrystal
January 2nd, 2013, 04:37 AM
yes it happens to me too.
I think we have the same type of hair, (although yours is a little more curlier than mine)
I think it just calms down the poofyness of our hair and in turn making our ponies look smaller!!
xxx

turtlelover
January 2nd, 2013, 05:51 AM
Yes, this is true for me. I tend to do heavier oilings right before washes, and stick to just a few drops if I am going to be out in public. I think baby oil is the least flattening for me also -- coconut and EVOO definitely flatten my hair a bit more, even when I just use a little bit.

door72067
January 2nd, 2013, 06:44 AM
I'd have to agree with the reduced poofiness or frizzes making hair ~seem~ thinner

torrilin
January 2nd, 2013, 07:06 AM
Oiling or moisturizing treatments don't particularly make my hair appear thinner. Really, it's more the opposite, and enough moisture makes my hair have more volume. But my hair is fine and straight and very dry for straight hair, and the more dried out my hair is the limper it acts.

My sister in law is a 3a, and getting her hair more properly moisturized definitely reduces her volume. But between the curl and her iii thickness, her hair is very triangular when it's too dry. Lots of poof and frizz. So while the volume is less when her moisture levels are high, it's less because she has neat and tidy curl clumps that stay clumpy through the night... and she still has about 6x the volume I do :). Since she likes the clumped up curl look, this is a plus to her. If she wanted great Gibson Girl updos, it'd be much more of a minus.

A lot of hair care choices are like that, where the choice you make depends as much on the desired look as anything else.

Cupofmilk
January 2nd, 2013, 07:31 AM
My hair is very wavy and oiling smooths and to an extent weighs it down so it looks thinner. I can have big hair but only without oil or product - my hair is very fine and easily weighed down.

Sillage
January 2nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Yes, I notice that it does reduce volume for my hair. I can get a super smooth, almost flat ironed look with a little Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade and some silicone serum (and my Sedu Revolution hair dryer!).

Hwyfar
January 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
I have definitely noticed this. My hair is smoother, straighter - and feels thinner. Without the oil, my hair is wavy and poofy, but now that I have started heavy oilings the night before my wash, my hair has gotten smooth and straight. I do believe that the missing poofiness is the reason for the thinning effect.

spirals
January 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
In response to out-of-control pouffiness and frizz, I reach for oil. It calms the frizz, but the pouff stays. The only thing that takes volume down is oiling then brushing it.
Let me add I did the above today and my ponytail circumfrence has gone down.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 2nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Maybe slightly, but the benefits are so amazing that I would never stop oiling - I just love the stuff!

dwell_in_safety
January 2nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, oiling my hair makes it seem quite a bit thinner. I showed my girlfriend my hair the other night after I'd oiled one half heavily but not the other half; it was downright frizzy in comparison. We both laughed at it. The hair is compacted when it's oiled and loses its body, which makes it seem much much thinner. How thick my hair seems can vary day to day, though, and that even shows up in pictures.

dollyfish
January 2nd, 2013, 06:53 PM
For me, yes, definitely. My hair goes from a huge Hermione lion's mane to a more normal size after oiling.