PDA

View Full Version : How to apply oil to scalp?

hairhair
January 1st, 2013, 08:51 PM
Hi! I am currently sitting with a castor oil/sunflower oil blend on my scalp hair, and sunflower only on the ends (in short, feeling like a real LHC-er, especially as I also just microtrimmed).

Anyway, the issue I have is how much oil to use for the castor oil, and how to apply it to my scalp properly. I want to get as much of this expensive castor oil on my scalp, as opposed to greasing up my hair!

This time, I made up a 1:1 mix of sunflower oil and castor oil, probably about 20mL though I used a non-measuring spoon to dole it out so not sure. I applied it in much the same way that I rub in shampoo with my fingers, though I also turned my head upside down and did this from the bottom. I also combed it in a little with a regular-tooth comb. It seems to have covered most of my scalp hair (at least on the canopy) quite well, but I can't really feel it touching my scalp. I was wondering whether the best way to maximise oil-touching-scalp amount is to:

a) Mix it with more sunflower oil, so it would be less concentrated but potentially spread better. Would the reduced concentration significantly reduce its impact, particularly growth-stimulant wise?

b) Apply it in some better way, possibly with a tangle teaser-type product?

c) It's OK as it is?

d) Put cling wrap/shower cap over it -- will this make it "melt" into my scalp? I currently have a shower cap just over my scalp, with oiled braid sticking out the bottom. Is this good?

The other thing is that turning my head upside down and rubbing it from the bottom causes massive shedding. I'm not sure if this is real "extra" shed or just loose hairs working their way out (my hair is thick and fine so this is possible), but if anyone thinks this is unnecessary/knows an alternative way of applying scalp oil, please say so! :)

Sorry for the sort of complicated post!

Thanks! :)

chen bao jun
January 2nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
I apply oil to my scalp with an applicator bottle with a tip. they sell in Sally's

spidermom
January 2nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
I've heard of people using a cotton ball and applying the oil along multiple parts, then combing through.

But why have oil on the scalp? (my scalp produces plenty of its own; I oil length when scalp area gets oily from sebum)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
I've heard of people using a cotton ball and applying the oil along multiple parts, then combing through.

But why have oil on the scalp? (my scalp produces plenty of its own; I oil length when scalp area gets oily from sebum)

Yes, I was wondering the same, I always just oil the length, never my scalp, it produces its own.

Sillage
January 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
But why have oil on the scalp?

I assume that because OP is using a castor oil mix that this might be to stimulate growth. Although I'm in the same boat as you-- my scalp produces plenty! When I oil it's all about avoiding the scalp! :)

chen bao jun
January 2nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
I don't know about the OP but being black and curly, I have a dry scalp. Well, it may not be connected to either of those facts, but my scalp is dry and I can't really brush to stimulate sebum.
I also have dry skin and must apply oils or it cracks and flakes.
My scalp will also flake and itch without some oiling.
I use a castor oil and burdock oil mix currently.

Sillage
January 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Chen Bao Jun, that's interesting that you use a castor oil mix to help with your dry scalp. I guess it must feel wonderfully soothing if you're super dry. A lot of hair oils keep the % of castor oil pretty low-- good to hear from someone who uses it at a higher % with good results. Makes me rethink some of my recipes, LOL.

DinaAG
January 2nd, 2013, 03:09 PM
an old clean spray perfume bottle makes a great applicator for anything i want to put on my scalp

TheHowlingWolf
January 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
I oil my scalp as well. My scalp is oily, but it's also itchy and some oils soothe it and nourish it. I've started focusing on my scalp after hearing "The key to healthy hair is a healthy scalp." I used to do a massage with coconut oil/castor oil/peppermint eo...but I've been lazy lately. I apply it with an applicator bottle (normally used for hair dye) that I got at Sally's. Then I massage it for a few minutes, making sure my (oil coated) finger tips touch my scalp. & then I put on a shower/conditioning cap with my old turbie twist over it to keep in the heat & allow the oil to marinate my scalp lol.

ETA: I actually focus more oil on my scalp than on my length. I do make sure my ends are fully coated, but I find it harder to wash (even with conditioner) the oil out of my length than on my scalp. When I oil my scalp & co wash, it comes out. But when I oil my length, I'm usually left with greasy stringy hair for a few days after. :/

KittyBird
January 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
I have a very dry scalp and I use oil on it too, usually coconut oil, but sometimes I use a mixture of castor and coconut oil. I simply just put some oil on my fingertips and glide them all over my scalp, making sure to massage a bit. I don't have a problem with getting oily hair from this method, but then again it's pretty difficult to see when my hair is greasy. :)

PetuniaBlossom
January 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
:blossom:
I also use a mixture of about half castor oil and half coconut oil for both scalp and lengths. While I'm at it, I use some of the mixture on my face, for an OCM (oil-cleansing method) facial.
Habioku has an excellent video showing how she massages the oil into her scalp and applies to her lengths.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSF-_gIqxc
And the music on the video is beautiful.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Oh duh; I forget that what works for me doesn't necessarily work for anybody else.

rock007junkie
January 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Now that winter is here I have awful dry scalp. I've had to resort to oiling my scalp and I've found it has definitely helped. I apply a bit of amla oil on my scalp right after I wash. I find that if I skip this step when my hair dries my scalp is flaky and red as hell. I've tried castor oil in the past but it's too thick on its own. Mixing it with sweet almond helped.

Gladtobemom
January 2nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
I used to use a L'Oreal Excellence comb applicator bottle. But frankly, it used too much oil.

Then I found a "Roots Only (http://www.rootsonly.com/instructions/)" aplicator bottle with finer tines. I keep it filled with Moochaser's scalp oil in a glass jar on my bathroom counter. I take the top off and clean it every now and then. It works. My husband has extremely dry scalp and he uses the oil often.

froglet
January 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
I simply just put some oil on my fingertips and glide them all over my scalp, making sure to massage a bit. I don't have a problem with getting oily hair from this method, but then again it's pretty difficult to see when my hair is greasy. :)

I do this exactly and oil my scalp with just a bit of 100 percent castor oil nightly. I wash every three to four days. I get just a little bit of oil on my fingertips, bend over at the waist so my hair hangs down, and massage my scalp, trying to avoid the length. I do use different oils on the length (not castor). I probably moisten my fingertips with the oil and repeat about three times going over my whole scalp each time. I do this on dry hair not wet and my scalp doesn't look oily when done, just slightly heavy, it all absorbs by morning except by the fourth day or so. Since starting this routine my scalp is less dry but the big benefit has been a huge reduction in shedding. I have had such a terrible shedding episode that has lasted almost a year and this has reduced it significantly.

hairhair
January 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone!

That "Roots Only" Applicator looks fantastic! International shipping costs are nuts at the moment but I'll look for Australian stockists (and inform everyone if I find any!).

Yes, I'm using castor oil on my roots to attempt to stimulate growth. That's another reason I'm worried about applying it correctly, because assuming it actually works for this purpose, I don't want to grow unevenly! However, I guess it'll be okay as long as I don't consistently miss the same areas.

About how much oil do you find is good for a scalp application?

Thanks! :)

Happytresses
January 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
I use coconut oil once a week with an EO and my heating cap. My spray bottle has rosemary tea, olive oil, and peppermint EO. I use that daily. I oil my scalp because it gets so dry during the winter months. During the summer I oil my length daily and for that I use almond oil because it is light and it doesnt make my hair greasy or heavy. In the winter months the spray bottle and the coconut oil do the trick for my ends. I have wanted to use castor oil but havent made it to the health food store as of yet.

Forgot to mention. I heat up my coconut oil till its warm and then I part my hair and use my finger tips to massage oil onto my scalp. I like it warm, it feels so good.

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Chen Bao Jun, that's interesting that you use a castor oil mix to help with your dry scalp. I guess it must feel wonderfully soothing if you're super dry. A lot of hair oils keep the % of castor oil pretty low-- good to hear from someone who uses it at a higher % with good results. Makes me rethink some of my recipes, LOL.

Yes, it is very soothing, Sillage. I use 50% castor oil. First I used the castor oil from the drug store but now I have switched to Jamaican black castor oil which is supposed to have sulphur in it naturally. I have been using the castor oil since last July and in September I added the burdock root oil to it and like it better. I buy the burdock root oil from amazon.com. Actually, I get the jamaican black castor oil there, too.
What sort of recipes do you make? Or is this the wrong thread to ask that on (I'm new and unsure of protocol). I notice there is a recipe section.

Sillage
January 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM
What sort of recipes do you make? Or is this the wrong thread to ask that on (I'm new and unsure of protocol). I notice there is a recipe section.

I'm sure OP won't mind me answering here :)

I make mostly skincare: lotions, serums, balms, skin oils, creams, etc etc. I've just started dipping my toes into hair care. Like I said before most recipes for leave ins are low on castor oil (usually when I see it used at a high % it's for something that going to be washed out). I have to say tho that I'm really impressed with Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade (leave in) which is high in castor oil. It really gives a marvelous sheen to my hair. Of course it is sort of draggy but interestingly that effect seems to go away after 5 or 6 hours. So between you and the Oyin, I'm starting to wonder how high I could go with the castor oil without getting too sticky or heavy.