PDA

View Full Version : First ACV rinse: A succses!

PossibleMermaid
December 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM
My mom has been sort of skeptical of the curly girl method and going CO since I started a few months ago with mixed results. Sometimes my hair looked great, other days it was super greasy, a problem I had never had before. Not to mention I'm trying to grow out a pixie, so I'm at a really weird length right now with my layers all curling and freaking out. I haven't had nice hair for the past two months or so. But today... success!

I explained to my mom what I was doing with a BS cleansing wash and an ACV rinse after, and she seemed just as skeptical as usual, especially after I added a few drops of honey to the ACV as suggested by some folks on here. Good news: My hair looks GREAT. It's curly and voluminous but not in the awkward triangle head, Hermione Granger way I've dealt with in the past. Not only did the ACV rinse wake up my curls, it convinced my mom that going no poo isn't hair neglect! Hooray for ACV!!

Yozhik
December 31st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Glad ACV worked so well for you. :)
Sounds like you've hit upon your "holy grail" products/routine. :flower:

Just a note - I see you're in Florida, so this probably shouldn't present itself as a problem to you, but if you do move to a drier place, you may want to reconsider the honey addition, since it's a humectant and could draw moisture out of your hair.

I could never get the right dilution or get it to work for me . . . :hmm:

meishkamooshka
December 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM
That's wonderful you got something to work for you! Congrats! :cheer:

PossibleMermaid
January 1st, 2013, 08:59 PM
I was refereed to as "the girl with the beautiful hair" at a New Year's party that night. Granted, it was by an eighty-something year old man but I don't think anyone has ever complemented my hair before except my stylist, and that's sort of her job. Yaaay ACV rinses!

spirals
January 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM
Tht is sooo sweet. I'l take a compliment from an 86-year-old any day.

Eireann
January 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Yay!! I'm a total convert to BS/ACV. I've always had super fluffy fly-away hair, and it is now completely smooth and silky, not to mention I shed about a tenth of what I used to.

Annibelle
January 2nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
ACV never did anything for me when I was wearing my hair straight, so I stopped, since DH couldn't stand to smell my hair when I used it, anyway... but now that I wear my hair wavy, I might have to try it again. :hmm:

Sillage
January 2nd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Annibelle, you can always try citric acid (NOW brand is really good and not expensive) if you want to avoid the smell of vinegar.

I have straight hair but I love ACV/acid rinses. They really make my hair much smoother and shinier. I always do a rinse after dyeing to help close the cuticle and seems to work well. :)

Annibelle
January 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
I've never considered citric acid. Is it drying like lemon juice? :flower:

vanillabones
January 2nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
I want to try but I also do not want my hair to smell... at all.

Sillage
January 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I've never considered citric acid. Is it drying like lemon juice? :flower:

I don't find it any more drying than ACV and I use a rather strong solution... but then again I don't find lemon juice particularly drying either. :/

dollyfish
January 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Citric acid is NOT drying! And I totally recommend it. I use it almost interchangeably with ACV (and keep both in my shower). If anything, I use citric acid on the days when my hair is extra dry and needs something stronger (my hair is very prone to dryness). Citric acid sometimes makes my hair feel almost oily when it's still wet, if I use a lot. It's great. But if you shave or anything like that, do the rinse first!!! Even with a good razor the citric acid will sting like crazy if it hits any thin skin or open cuts.

PossibleMermaid
January 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
I want to try but I also do not want my hair to smell... at all.

I found that since I diluted the ACV down to about 1 tbs to 1/2 cup of water and dissolved a little honey in the mix it didn't smell at all when I got out of the shower. You just need to be sure to rinse thoroughly and it shouldn't be a problem. AVC is a lot less smelly then white vinegar as well.