PDA

View Full Version : Someone talk me off the ledge... Or push me. Either one.

bna_rapunzel
December 31st, 2012, 03:47 PM
Ok so my dream was always to have princess hair. Maybe classic length or longer. I'm currently at classic and I do feel like a princess.
But...
it's become a small nightmare. My hair is fine, thin, and very tangle prone. I wore it down curled to a party and holy smokes... Brushing it was awful. I pulled it down the other night and enjoyed it down but again, brushing it was something AWFUL.
Now, for some reason, when I get out of the shower, I dread my hair. I used to be able to brush it while wet, it was even easier when dry.
but now... Even while dry it's a pain in the butt.
i slept with it down last night and almost died! Lol and tried to wear it down today... My son almost drowned in it, I got it caught in Velcro (boy does that suck) and I peed on it when I didn't gather all of it when I sat down.
But again... I have fantastic princess hair! :-/
I'm considering cutting it back up to tailbone but can't make up my mind. Between the top of my pants and tailbone was a more manageable length but I feel like cutting ANY would devastate me. Help!
oh I've been toying with this idea for ages now so it's not an impulse thing lol.

jacqueline101
December 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
If you will have a better time at tail bone maybe that's the length you need to cut to.

bna_rapunzel
December 31st, 2012, 03:58 PM
Jacqueline you're always the first to comment and help me make my (oh so big) long hair dilemma decisions. I appreciate it :) lol I just feel like I might cry haha

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM
How long has it been giving you trouble? Perhaps it is just going through a difficult phase which will sort itself out given some time. I presume you are using a leave-in or oils for detangling? Cutting is a very drastic step.

sisi33
December 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Maybe you just have build-up? You could always try clarifying, and if that doesn't help any trim an inch or 2, then see how you feel. Small steps!

AnnaB
December 31st, 2012, 04:11 PM
It seems like its making you unhappy, so why not cut it and you can always grow it back with much better hem line :)
2013 new hair do, new goal!

bna_rapunzel
December 31st, 2012, 04:19 PM
The longer it gets the more grief it gives me.
I have clarified...
I might just do an inch or two for a "fresh" feeling.
I can't make up my mind. Lol

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2012, 04:27 PM
The longer it gets the more grief it gives me.
I have clarified...
I might just do an inch or two for a "fresh" feeling.
I can't make up my mind. Lol

Do you have a photo so we can see it?

Chromis
December 31st, 2012, 04:28 PM
First thing I would try is to braid it at night! If I wore my hair loose at night my hair would likely commit a double homicide while we slept. At this length even my braid tries to choke one of us now and then :lol: Some folks use a sleep cap or put in in a bun. Anything to keep the tangles from forming in the first place.

Also, just in case (because I used to totally be guilty of the second since I didn't know any better): carefully comb your hair before washing it and do not pile it on your head shampoo commercial style. I also don't try to comb my hair when it is wet. If I must, I only smooth out the scalp and then put it up. That way it looks neat, but I am not damaging it, and then I just let it down again later to finish drying.

spidermom
December 31st, 2012, 04:30 PM
First thing that jumped to mind - don't brush it, especially while wet.

PixxieStix
December 31st, 2012, 04:40 PM
>.>
<.<
*Push* :D (for a small 1-2 inch trim first though and then see how you feel)

Yozhik
December 31st, 2012, 05:31 PM
I second the advice of avoiding brushing while wet. What kind of brush/comb do you use? Do you start from the bottom and go upward when detangling?

The tangle teezer has greatly helped me with my hair detangling routine, although now it's gotten to the point where my hair rarely tangles.

My biggest hair sins pre-LHC were the following:
-piling up all of my hair on top of my head and shampooing the entire length
-vigorously brushing my hair, starting from the root to the tips, with my hair upside-down, while wet or dry

Hope that helps, and I'd love to see a photo -- your hair sounds gorgeous to me! :flower:

alyaziaaah
December 31st, 2012, 05:47 PM
Maybe change your washing routine? If it tangles maybe it needs more conditioning?
Would be a shame to cut it off, but a trim 1 or 2 inches might help.
Everybody says no to wet brushing, but I can never ever brush my hair dry.
If my hair is dry and I need to detangle I have to wet my brush for each stroke.
It has always been like that even as a child with virgin hair.
Maybe because my hair is curly wavy.
Anyways before you cut or trim check what your hair needs,
Maybe more moisture, more protein? A different brush?
Finger combing? Cone serum? I co wash, but I use kerastase nutritional sculpt.
It has cyclopentaoxilane, this is said to evaporate therefore not causing
Build up. Until now I haven't noticed any. I use it sometimes before detangling and sometimes after washing in wet hair.

alyaziaaah
December 31st, 2012, 05:48 PM
I meant kerastase nutri sculpt. Sorry, my mobile is making up its own words lol

bekstamonkey
December 31st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Whilst everyone has their own methods, personally, I'd go with the not brushing/combing while wet. Alwayssss ends in broken hairs when I do so, as well as just being a nightmare to get a comb through. I chuck my hair in a turbie twist, allow the towel to soak-up any water that my hair-squeezing didn't manage to get out, then when I take it off, I simply organise my part gently by hand and super-carefully de-knot any bigger knots. I may finger comb a little whilst drying, but no comb or brush touches my hair until it's completely dry.

Ultimately, the choice to cut or not is yours to make, as it's YOUR hair. But it would indeed be a pity that your dream of princess hair is ruined, especially when you've achieved that desired length! Mine's only at waist right now, and I'm already noticing the need to actually have it up most of the time. The pre-LHC me would have hacked off a few inches long ago to deal with the 'hassle' LOL.

bna_rapunzel
January 1st, 2013, 08:54 AM
I usually braid it while weeping and spider, I try not to but I gave a 4 month old and sometimes it's just what I have to do. :-/

But update!!!! I trimmed less than inch and got my happy hair back. I almost made it a year without a trim but it was MUCH needed. :) yay for classic!

bna_rapunzel
January 1st, 2013, 09:09 AM
While sleeping**
And Spidermom***
Lol

bna_rapunzel
January 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.
I cwc and I don't typically brush while wet but when my hair gets thrown up and peed in before we go somewhere... I wash lol. My son is a sneaky one.
But the trim for my happy hair back.
And I'm still at classic.
Thank you all

dollyfish
January 1st, 2013, 09:29 AM
Honestly, I think if the negatives are so out-weighing the positive aspects of having classic-length hair, maybe you should cut to tailbone. You'll still look like a princess, girl, but your hair won't be all the way down there and up in your business all the time. What makes classic-length so special to you, and is it really worth all the trouble?

lapushka
January 1st, 2013, 09:33 AM
Maybe go back to TBL or hip for a while? It's not a big chunk off, and it will be more out of your way. It'll grow back in no time when you decide you want it longer again.

bunzfan
January 1st, 2013, 10:59 AM
I also agree that brushing before showering helps massively and saves the drain to i normally brush with my Tangle teezer once its half dry and braiding at bed time is a must and i'm inches shorter than you but, i'm glad that little trim made you feel happy again:cool: i cant explain how i hardly have any splits or brushing hair problems since i found the TT .

LisaButz2001
January 1st, 2013, 01:26 PM
I'd go to the top of my pants, if I had all the problems listed in your original post. It depends on how quickly it grows. I was at classic and in Sept. 2012 cut to waist, now I'm nearly TB and want to go back to waist or even a fraction shorter.

Rivanariko
January 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Glad to hear you made the decision to trim and are happy with it! Sometimes freshening up those ends is all that we need to be happy with our hair again!