PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for detangling hair easily?

Luminaria
December 31st, 2012, 12:12 AM
I've recently been using African black soap/ACV rinse to wash my hair. It makes my hair soft, yet hard and stripped feeling when wet. It is very hard to move/shape and more frizzy. Worse of all are the TANGLES. My hair does tangle given its curliness, but not to this degree. It's super hard to detangle my hair now--so many knots... :( I think the soap must have left a weird residue on my hair. So, are there any quick and easy ways to detangle knotted, matted hair? *Also does using a paddle brush or a denman brush regularly reduces tangles in general? Will it cause alot of damage? I typically use fingers/wide tooth combs to detangle, but it doesn't remove ALL my tangles.

JCM
December 31st, 2012, 12:41 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31waazUMzeL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I would use something similar to this back when my hair was longer. I had to cut it because of my job. :(

goldloli
December 31st, 2012, 06:04 AM
*Also does using a paddle brush or a denman brush regularly reduces tangles in general? Will it cause alot of damage? I typically use fingers/wide tooth combs to detangle, but it doesn't remove ALL my tangles.
I would not use the black soap to wash hair, even for acne prone oily skin, it is incredibly drying and stripping. it does work, but it's equal its stripping factor to proactive/clearasil in it's methods of just stripping and drying. like those products, they do work for people, hence the rave reviews, but man, washing hair with it would be like washing hair with a clarifying waxy shampoo constantly.

clarify and follow up with an smt/deepdish or something. i wouldn't even wait for the next wash as the mechanical damage from constant combing tangled caused by the stuff would be greater than damage from washing hair again. Everybody here would probably say no to the brush thing and advocate either a comb or a tangle teaser, i've seen posts of people experiencing less tangles over time when using a comb. combing out the tangles while conditioner is in you hair would be less damaging and great for curly hair. if you're a natural though, and don't use poo or dish then i have so suggestions aside from the comb thing sorry :(

lapushka
December 31st, 2012, 07:11 AM
I agree with goldloli when she talks about how drying and stripping this soap is. My normal remedy for tangles is to overly moisturize and condition (preferably with silicones when there are extreme tangles), but I don't know what conditioner will do over this soap (residue).

jojo
December 31st, 2012, 07:11 AM
I comb the conditioner through my hair as i rinse and then i use a tangle teezer works well for me!

jacqueline101
December 31st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Spray in detangler and a tangle teaser.

rock007junkie
December 31st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Are you using any conditioner after the black soap? If not I highly recommend that you do.

Arden
December 31st, 2012, 03:34 PM
I bought a tangle teaser 2 nights ago for my 3 year old who gets the worst knots ever. I am exceptionally impressed. Even with a wide tooth comb and detangeling spray her hair was still a hot mess and would break. I ended up having her hair cut into a long bob hoping that would help. Still got awful knots. Tried the tangle teaser. No pulling, no breaking, no ouch. Love it.

melusine963
December 31st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Maybe try some coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner and detangler? And definitely switch to to milder shampoo/soap.

inspiral
December 31st, 2012, 08:56 PM
my detangling secret is Kinky Curly's "Knot Today" Detangler and Leave-in Conditioner. It is AMAZING! You can get it at Whole Foods, online, and a friend of mine said she saw it at Target! It works SO well. Nothing i have ever used even compares to it's magical detangling abilities! And you don't have to use a whole lot of it either. Also, if my hair is very tangly, I will put a bunch of oil in it and detangle it a bit when it's dry with the oil before i wet it. I only use my fingers to detangle, and then a comb only to smooth it afterwards.

Natalia
December 31st, 2012, 10:19 PM
I find the easiest way for me is to wait till its dry start at the bottom holding it as i go, then when i get up high enough separate it into as many chunks as it will go and do the same with each of those clipping it up into a cinnabun as i finish each section, then take it all down and start combining the sections til li can comb it all together.