PDA

View Full Version : castor oil nightmare

Brenna
December 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM
I soaked my hair and scalp with coconut oil and castor oil. I let it set for 5 hours or so.

my hair felt sooo nasty. and disgusting, it didn't want to come out at all. sooo disgusting.

i washed my hair 3 times and conditioned it 4x. its still soooo disgusting. omg.

I am so disappointed because I like the idea of using these oils or whatever but it makes my hair and scalp so greasy. and my hair absorbs that grease TOO well.

do greasy heads stil need deep conditioning? anyway I can still use it? and how often?

so disppaointed!:mad:

TheHowlingWolf
December 30th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I use coconut oil and castor oil for a deep treatment and I have an oily scalp. The castor oil is heavy, so I usually nuke it or put it in a bowl of hot water to melt it down a little bit. Then I CO wash and that usually takes it all out. I've stopped doing that recently though because I found a really good deep conditioning masque that I love. I've been thinking about using castor oil again though, but just on my scalp.

akilina
December 30th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Wow I am surprised that it was so bad for you..I like to mix my castor oil with coconut oil in a jar and refrigerate it...it all solidifies together and it makes it much easier..not exactly sure why though. Its like they blend and it totally changes it.

DancingQueen
December 30th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I find that castor oil is harder to get out than coconut oil. I would just stick to the coconut oil, and leave it on for just 2 hours before washing. Shampoo twice, and condition. As long as you don't put too much oil in, it should be fine. :)

Allychan
December 31st, 2012, 12:46 AM
I use castor oil blended with grapeseed oil or Avocado oil on my scalp only then I put coconut oil on my ends only. I only do it overnight, sleep on a satin pillowcase and loosely plait it to stop it from tangling. In the morning I CWC (condition/wash with shampoo/condition) to get it out. My hair is very fine. My only suggestion is to 1. change what you are blending the castor oil with 2. Use more of the blend oil and less castor oil. I currently blend mine as half castor oil half grapeseed? 3. Only put the castor oil on your scalp never on your ends because it is so viscous

woolyleprechaun
December 31st, 2012, 01:02 AM
I have no problem removing castor oil. I soak my scalp in a blend of castor and almond/olive/coconut for at least a few hours prior to a wash. I put a lesser amount on the length, also.
To remove it I give it a rinse with warm water, and slather in a ton of cone free conditioner, massaging the scalp well and working it into the ends. I then wear a cap for a while (at least 10 mins, preferably and hour) before showering it out. I then condition again, and then rinse again. I have never needed shampoo to remove it, and my hair is always massively poofy and floaty after this treatment, never greasy or flat. The key is in the conditioner soak to dissolve the oil. I use nearly a whole bottle of Asda's Smart Price stuff at 25p a bottle....So I dont mind ;)
I'm sorry you have had problems with this; I'm a huge castor fan as it helped me regrow my hairline. Good luck in your next go!

Rosetta
December 31st, 2012, 02:58 AM
Ah yeah, I've experienced something similar; I recently wrote about it in the castor oil thread (in the henna & herbal haircare section), as I also had difficulties to get the castor oil out ;)
Though I only had to wash it twice (first a CO wash, which didn't remove it, and then shampoo), so it really wan't that bad.

Lucky
December 31st, 2012, 03:07 AM
I have no problem removing castor oil. I soak my scalp in a blend of castor and almond/olive/coconut for at least a few hours prior to a wash. I put a lesser amount on the length, also.
To remove it I give it a rinse with warm water, and slather in a ton of cone free conditioner, massaging the scalp well and working it into the ends. I then wear a cap for a while (at least 10 mins, preferably and hour) before showering it out. I then condition again, and then rinse again. I have never needed shampoo to remove it, and my hair is always massively poofy and floaty after this treatment, never greasy or flat. The key is in the conditioner soak to dissolve the oil. I use nearly a whole bottle of Asda's Smart Price stuff at 25p a bottle....So I dont mind ;)
I'm sorry you have had problems with this; I'm a huge castor fan as it helped me regrow my hairline. Good luck in your next go!

This technique works really well, I second woolyleprechaun's suggestion here.

goldloli
December 31st, 2012, 05:45 AM
CWC (condition/wash with shampoo/condition) to get it out. My hair is very fine. My only suggestion is to 1. change what you are blending the castor oil with 2. Use more of the blend oil and less castor oil. I currently blend mine as half castor oil half grapeseed? 3. Only put the castor oil on your scalp never on your ends because it is so viscous
noooooooo, castor oil is soo awesome for ends :'(

Lol but seriously, when you figure out the technique to lightly seal ends with this stuff without diluting, it makes for amazing thickened, body-full and hydrated strands. I promise it doesn't dry into a sticky mess, just use sparingly like coconut oil on fresh hair.

As for deep treats, like allychan and also some lhc blog floating around, I also use conditioner to removed to oils, then follow up with shampoo etc. With dabur amla oil I had to shampoo like 2 times following and then once again the next wash just to get hair back to normal... the oil wouldn't budge and midlengths looked lank and greasy. These days if I suspect an oil might be hard to remove, I massage conditioner into it for 5 mins before shampooing.

Another problem might be overhydration. When my hair is lacking protein or maybe even just normal amount protein, and I use a heavy oil and conditioner as a pre poo, even if hair was adequately hydrated before, then it looks grossly stringy and oily. Even heavy coconut pre oiling leaves my hair in this state, i used some last night before a wash and my strands are still wet and semi lank looking right now. In this case i would use an sls shampoo and medium conditioner/protein conditioner, to either remove some moisture or balance it out with protein

LadyCelestina
December 31st, 2012, 06:00 AM
Well,I would definitely not give up on using oils for your scalp!
Castor oil is very thick,as you may have noticed,and that makes it hard to remove from the hair of some people,like yours or mine for example.
The thing is,I don't believe that the effects of using castor oil would be too different from using lighter oils like maybe coconut,EVOO,almond oil on your scalp,along with a scalp massage.Plain coconut oil is equally good in my eyes,and protects your hair from protein loss caused by shampooing as a bonus :)

Brenna
December 31st, 2012, 06:31 PM
okay thanx all. I am thnking that next time I'm gonna use one of those hair bottles like that you use for dying hair (pointy end) and mix it with almond oil or avocado oil as coconuut oil has never meshed with my hair well anyways. mix it and squirt a tiny bit here and there and massage in. and only a pply a tiny bit in my hair on the bottom near the ends.

but I will wait to get my ingredients together first.

but I still plan on using some on my eyelashes and eyebrows.

Allychan
January 3rd, 2013, 05:11 AM
I can't use Castor oil on my ends as it is like the OP mentioned a nightmare to remove, maybe because my ends are damaged, fine and thin (more scraggy than thin in my eyes) and because the Castor Oil makes them even more sticky and they tend to glue to eachother.
Also, the reason I use Castor oil on my scalp and Coconut oil on my length is because the Castor Oil is an antifungal/antibacterial so it helps kill off any nasties like fungus, Dandruff, and bacteria that can cause scalp infections and hairloss. The coconut oil on my ends moisturises and stops my hair from becoming tangled

Ligeia_13
January 3rd, 2013, 05:34 AM
I actually really hated castor oil on my scalp. It was diluted when it went on, so not as gummy as it normally is, and I still had to wash multiple times to get it off.

jillosity
January 3rd, 2013, 08:35 AM
I just did a castor/coconut hot oil treatment 2 night ago, I used about 4 parts coconut to 1 part castor, set it in a bowl of hot water to warm up then slathered it all over my scalp and length, left it on for 3.5-4 hours. Did a CO wash with Suave Daily Clarifying cond. and it got it all out in one go. I've tried a bunch of conditioners the last few months and for me, the Daily clarifying is the most "deep cleaning", it gets out oils, my Monistat mix (when I remember to do it of course), normal sebum, everything so far.

I wouldn't give up on using oils, once you get past the leaning curve for your hair, you'll love them.

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 04:58 PM
okay I tried it again. I put a spoon full of castor oil in a small ball with 1/3 spoon full of coconut oil, some drops of lavender and tee tree oil. warmed it up. slowly worked it into my scalp and ONLY the ends of my hair. i forced myself to work through the whole "I don't thiink this is gonna be enough" feeling. left on at night. the next day I co-washed, then washed with suave daily cleansing shamppo, then a vo5 cleansing conditioner (couldn't find suave cleansing conditioner ANYWHERE) and then did a leave in rinse of lemon water. it came out gorgeous and just put it in braids.

Allychan
January 3rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
:cheese: Hooray!! Another convert?

Brenna
January 3rd, 2013, 05:18 PM
possibly, i might try it 2-3 x a week, possibly thinking about mixing the oils in a special bottle or something