PDA

View Full Version : Damage still - ultra thin hair!

raingirl
December 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I've been here....not sure how long, but only active really since the summer. I've been babying my hair since, but I'm still noticing a lot of splits. How do I tell if my hair is just prone to them? Is thin hair generally more prone to splits than thicker hair?

I had one cut since summer, and only got a dusting done (1/2 inch at most). I've been doing S&D since. I braid my hair at night, but it's so thin that it mostly comes apart and it's all frizzy in the morning. I've been doing CO since October as well. I oil my ends (I would say from ear down) almost nightly with grape seed oil. I only use a BB brush when I brush, which is only at night or in the morning before shower. I always detangle first with my fingers, then a wide tooth comb. I comb out the conditioner in the shower with a wide tooth comb as well. I gave up heat styling mostly, but I do use a dryer on low temp/low speed now that it's winter, as I can only shower in the morning and I need something to speed up the drying of my hair.

I guess I just wait for the undamaged/new hair to grow in then? I'm on an new iron supplement too, because my iron was dangerously low, so my doctor thinks that should help a bit. But it will be months/years before I see that new hair coming in too. I guess this damage is probably all just old damage then, that I just need to find/cut off the splits and wait?

jojo
December 30th, 2012, 07:20 AM
If your hairs damamged then it will be prone to spilts. My hair is fine but thickish, but due to its fineness ( individual hairs) it does need careful handling. Is your hair medium, caurse or fine haired? Im not talking about the volume thats a different thing, if your hair is baby fine then yes id say it is prone to splits. You say your anaemic, having been there myself for quite a bit of this year i wouldnt say it caused damage but it did cause me to shed hair at an alarming rate, only stuff you do dye, heat, perms etc cause damage, poor health can cause lacklusture and shedding hair.
I think if i was you id do monthly dustings until the damage was gone, that is the only way to get rid of it and by dustings i mean what you teim is so little is looks like dust, hense why we call it dusting ( or micro trimming). 1/2" is not dusting but trimming! Id conditnue with the oiling and do some moisturising treatments.

raingirl
December 30th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks. My hair is ultra fine and ultra thin. The anemia issue has been ongoing for 10+ years, so I'm hoping this new doctor recommended supplement will work wonders. My hair volume has gone down by at least 1/2 since 2000, when I last had waist length hair. Ever since I cut it then, combined with my worsening anemia, it's just got worse and worse.

I'm so tempted to just cut back to chin for now until I can get it to thicken up.... It's almost BSL and it always seems to get it's worst at this length! I go in a cycle - get to BSL, it's damaged, cut back to APL, regret it, grow back to BSL, cut it due to damage. So on and so on.

What moisture treatments would you suggest? My hair is very oily at the root/crown, but dry at the ends. It will look limp if I oil after showering, so I only oil at night. Don't want to be a greaseball at work. :) Actually, my ends and damage seem to get worse/more visible as the day goes on. They are soft as soon as my hair dries, but as the day goes on they get drying and more damaged/frizzy looking.

Fantak
December 30th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Maybe stopping the BB brush would help. I've heard from a lot of fine hairs on here that the BB actually does more damage than good.

raingirl
December 30th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks. Good to know! I will try that for a bit.

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'd trim it then do deep conditioning treatments. Wear it up do benign neglect it works.

jojo
December 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM
One supplement which helped my hair when i was aneamic was hema plex, my hairs much better now and i put this hugely down to this.

Lauram
December 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Maybe try a silk sleep cap to keep your hair from rubbing and falling out of your braid. Also grape seed oilcan be very drying on the skin, so I'm thinking it may not be doing much for your hair. I'd try another oil

Silverbrumby
December 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Sleep cap or satin pillow slip. Biosil has been shown to thicken individual strands by 12%. I've see an increase in thickness since I started on it.

IndigoOptimist
December 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM
My hair is fine, but when I S&D I don't tend to find any here as many as I did when I was being more... violent, with my hair so I am tempted to go with the theory that the density of the hair has nothing to do with how split it gets, it's just how you treat it :)

As for sleeping, I also hate having frizzy braid hair. I like to do a crown braid but with only two strands of hair (I don't know what this is called) for sleeping as this gives me a nice wave/curl in the morning. Or I'll put it in a pony tail and then put hair bands down the entire length to keep it in place, maybe that would stop the problem of bits falling out of your braid for you...

Allychan
December 30th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I'd swop to coconut oil, it has been scientifically proven to penetrate the hair shaft, so has Argan, Avocado and Olive (but not as well as coconut oil). My hair was quite thin but my new growth is significantly thicker although still 'fine' in texture. Cutting it off and restarting is debatable. I cut back to my starting length (APL) then just grew it for a while to gain length, then I microtrimmed for 6mths. I found if I cut too much off I get a bit despondent and am more likely to give up on it. A bit of length is encouraging. Either way a thicker hemline will result with either option you choose ie chop and starting again OR grow then maintaining

raingirl
December 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks. I do already have a satin-like pillow (it wasn't labeled as "satin" but it looks/feels like it). I think the term is Sateen? I think my hair just gets knotted/tangled way too easily and even if I'm gentle, breakages I'm sure occur when combing it out. I could comb one half of my hair first, and by the time I do the other side, the first side will have knots/tangles already again. I tried to do a crown braid but failed miserably. I have nerve issues in my elbows so my hands fall asleep when I try to do any kind of braiding. I've tried to do french braids but even those are hard to do as my hands get numb. I usually have to stop several times in the process to let my hands down one side at a time.

I will look into that Biosil supplement though. In addition to my other blood building and iron supplements, I figure it can't hurt!

QMacrocarpa
December 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM
When I have the kind of immediate tangling you describe, what works for me is a small self-trim, which keeps my splits and general velcro ends in check for several months. Some recommend clarifying, as the instant tangles might have to do with product build-up, so if you think that could be a factor for you, try clarifying first. I thought I'd try grape seed oil, but stuff I read about it here made me decide to go with something else instead (my favorite so far is jojoba). The grape seed oil might be your build-up culprit, come to think of it.

I'm definitely split-prone, I get splits without any coloring or heated tools as an excuse, and my hair does not get along with BBB's. I stick to a wide-tooth comb or (usually) a tangle-teezer. Updo's help keep my splits down, and stretching washes might help too, to minimize handling while wet, blow-drying (in your case), and any wear-and-tear from wetting and drying the hair.