Shanarana
August 25th, 2008, 05:19 AM
hmmm, good question. I don't do to many but have mastered a few:

French twist
Cinnomon bun
Braids
Messy bun
Pony tails

Those are the ones I do the most. I am trying to get the rope braid down along with some others. Most of the time I'm just lazy and do the simple ones.

Samikha
August 25th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Uh...good question. I'm gonna write up all the ones I can think of and have mastered, including braids. I need to learn more!

Basic braid
Braided bun
Braid-over-braid updo
Chinese bun
Cinnamon bun
Crown braid
Dutch braid
Five-strand braid
Flat four-strand braid
French braid
French twist
Herringbone braid
Infinity bun
Lace braid (not really an updo, but...)
Lazy wrap bun
Orchid bun
Rope braid

Oh, and thanks to Isilya, I can do Yvaine's updo too :flower:

frizzinator
August 25th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I know nearly 20, but after a lot of practice, I think of many of them are variations of a few basic methods. They look different from each other, but they are very similar. Here are some examples:

Coiled hair can be a cinnamon bun, bee butt bun, gibraltar bun, orchid bun, figure 8 and an infinity bun. Also, the equalibrium bun is coiled, but the hair is folded before coiling.

A loop with the tail wrapped around it can be a log roll, an inside-out bun or a nautilus bun.

A loop with the tail pulled through it (or just partially pulled through), then wrapping the tail around the base, can be the Karen Lynn knot, the pretzel bun, the double looped knot, and the celtic bun.

I make 2 wrapped buns, and I'm familiar with several more wrapped buns, including the Chinese bun. All of them wrap the hair around the stick or fork, instead of making the bun before securing it with the stick or fork.

The truth might be that I only know 6 ways to make a bun! A final variation with many methods of bun making can be to roll the loosely made bun toward one side and secure in a french twist.

Silver & Gold
August 25th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I know many more than I can demonstrate on my hair.

I know how to french and dutch braid. I know how to do a french twist and variations of it. I do many different half updos, one using a coil rope first that looks like a little rosette on your head when it is fastened.

I can't do a cinnabun yet because my hair is too short (unless I create one in a half-updo) but I do know how to coil my hair in a bun and hold it with a single hairstick nonetheless.

One thing I would recommend to all the short hairs out there, if you can't do a certain hairstyle on your entire length yet, you can often practice and/or adapt it for a half-updo until your hair gets longer. I do this a lot.

TambourineDream
August 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Wow! So many hairdos!!
Samikha, that's one impressive list! Can you do all those on your won hair?!
*awe*
My hair expertise consists of ponytails, simple plaits and *just about* a french braid. I have so much to learn, haha!

Samikha
August 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Wow! So many hairdos!!
Samikha, that's one impressive list! Can you do all those on your won hair?!

I don't know anyone else who shares my fascination for long hair or who will sit still long enough for me to practice, so yes, it's my own hair I do stuff with. I wish my sister had longer hair, because she doesn't mind me messing with it, but she is currently trying to grow it past her chin:o Practice is always key!

I kinda want to put together a dictionary of hairstyles with instructions one of these days, but that would take a while...

AJoifulNoise
August 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I keep a list in my blog. Here it is:

Pony Tail
Three Tier Pony Tail
Caterpillar/Banded Pony
Pig Tails
English Braid
2-27 English Braids
English Braided Pigtails
French Braid
Dutch Braid
Rope Braid
Rope Braid Pig Tails
Chinese Bun
Braided Chinese Bun
Figure 8
Braided Bun
2 Braided Buns at Nape w/ Scrunchies
Sock Bun
Half-up
Half-up Braid
Half-Up Braided Bun
Bee Butt Bun
French Twist
Topsy Tail
Half-Up Topsy Tail
Three Tier Topsy Tail
Cinnabun w/ Clips
Double Cinnabuns with Clips
Log Roll

Granted, I haven't been able to do most of these since I cut my hair back. But, I was able to do them before that.

Aisha25
August 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
2: single braid and a knot for when I am cooking.

KarenLynn
August 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Looking at the list I made when I considered doing an updo challenge (but never did); about 45. It all depends on how you define a style, though. Is a variation on one style another style? Or only if it looks significantly different from the original? Are two different techniques different styles, even though the result looks almost the same?

KatKeRo
August 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Looking at the list I made when I considered doing an updo challenge (but never did); about 45. It all depends on how you define a style, though. Is a variation on one style another style? Or only if it looks significantly different from the original? Are two different techniques different styles, even though the result looks almost the same?
Around 40 I think.
I'm asking the same questions as KarenLynn. I'm wondering also.

sahiba
August 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM

To me two different techniques are definitely different styles , even if they look the same.:). So what if they look the same, your method was different...
p.s. my answer is going to be baised to this question as all my updos look the same , no matter what technique i use.:wail: