PDA

View Full Version : Scrunching hair....?

RileyJane
December 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM
This thought just occured to me, i used to scrunch my hair back about 8 yrs ago to not do damage to it basically. Since i live in the cold, snowy north ( ewww snow) i was wondering if scrunching your hair had any bad side effects to growing hair? i never put a TON of the scrunching gel in my hair, just enough to hold the curl and make sure my hair wasnt a frizzy mess. Do you think scrunching it would be a good idea as a heat free style for hair, or do you think it would just be damaging?

princess007
December 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I am curious what other people say on this too.

I am growing my hair out from a pixie cut last year. I used that have heavy highlights and short hair for YEARS. I always assumed I had unruley straight hair. As it turns out, now that my hair is growing out and healthy, I am realizing that I actually have wavy/curly hair (probably 2b/c).

I love the way my hair looks when I use a diffuser but I have noticed that I quickly get split ends doing that. So I recently started scrunching my hair (no diffuser) with a little bit of product. I dont think it is too damaging so far but I would like to hear other peoples experience with it.

I am also curious what products people are using to help with frizz and curl definition. One product I have NOT liked was the Got2B mousse....made my hair look stringy.

SlightlySoprano
December 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I gently scrunch my hair with about a half-dime sized amount of Garnier Fructis Pure and Clean styling creme. So far so good! I don't think it does any damage unless you are really man handling while you scrunch, or are manipulating your hair in a way that could rip through knots. I personally don't do that, and I haven't noticed any damage from it. :)

The styling creme does not harden and gives you a very flexible hold. I highly recommend it. Plus its -cone and alcohol free :)

gillybeanxo3921
December 29th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I used to do that a few years ago. At the time, I didn't see any damage, but I think the gel dried my hair out.

It could've just been me, I don't know. I prefer oiling now anyways. My hair was always really crunchy when scrunched.

MissAlida
December 29th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I scrunch using mousse. I've been doing it for 6 months, twice a week, and I see no damage. Also, it gives great volume, and does not harden. Give it a try, it's pretty cheap.

RileyJane
December 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Sweet :P yeah I'm never man handling it too bad when I scrunch it, and good to know that there are some good products out there so I don't hurt it.... I just really want a diff hairstyle for winter where it wont be blowing every which way ! I'm deff gonna try out some of these products :)

feb26
December 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I have to scrunch, either with curl enhancing gel or mousse or my waves dry to a frizzy mess & don't lay properly. never noticed any damage from it

ludwig20
December 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I haven't scrunched much in the past, but perhaps I should. I've noticed my hair's canopy is quite dry, affecting the wave pattern. Not sure which oil I should use (coconut or grapeseed?)......

RileyJane
December 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM
yeah we just had our first real snow in NY, and even though i was outside for maybe 10 mins total, my hair got extremely dry and took a ton of oil and coaxing to become normal again which was why i think scrunching it might be a good idea, it would gel the hair in place and (hopefully) not become as dry as it could; plus it does look pretty

spirals
December 30th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I haven't scrunched much in the past, but perhaps I should. I've noticed my hair's canopy is quite dry, affecting the wave pattern. Not sure which oil I should use (coconut or grapeseed?)......I have a blend that seems to work well: 2 parts coconut, 1 part each almond, jojoba, and glycerin.

alyaziaaah
December 30th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I have 2bc 3 a MC ii and I just use a tiny bit of condish as a leave in and then mineral oil for crunching.
It defines and makes my hair a bit more curly.
I used to use coconut oil as a leave in but it relaxes my curl.
This method works for my hair in dry and humid weather alike.
I let it airdry. No damage from that