PDA

View Full Version : Are your highlights natural??! (when people say your natural hair looks unnatural)

cooklaezo13
December 29th, 2012, 06:46 AM
My hair has natural highlights and it is easily bleached by the sun, so my ends are lighter than my roots. In real life, I am often asked questions like "where did you get your highlights done?" "who dyes your hair, it looks so natural?!" and my least favorite "the ombre look is so good on you, where do you get it done?"

I actually started covering my hair always when I am in the sun, to try to avoid further lightening it, because I don't really like the ombre look on me.

I don't usually mind these questions much, because they are complimentary. However having spent over two years growing out henna to get my virgin hair back, sometimes it frustrates me when people refuse to believe my natural hair color IS natural. Can anyone relate?

The ironic thing is that when I had hennaed hair, many people were shocked to find out that it wasn't my natural color. And I have olive skin and hazel eyes, so I really don't have the colorings of a natural red head.

MonaMayfair
December 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Yes, people always refuse to believe my natural color is real.
Then, when I started dyeing it with henna, new people i met thought THAT was real (though I didn't think it looked real) Now I've been dyeing it dark brown (growing out the henna, so have blonde roots and red hair underneath) people think I'm a natural brunette (I wish!)
So, basically, the color that WAS real looked fake to everyone!

RileyJane
December 29th, 2012, 11:27 AM
haha! i have that problem with my hair sometimes. it did a natural ombre itself this summer, and everyone thought i dyed it! i actually have that problem more with people commenting on my eyes than hair, though. i have really long lashes and most of my friends think im ALWAYS wearing mascara, which is just not the case. i hate when people swear that either your hair or makeup isnt just you and that you HAD to have done something!

MonaMayfair
December 30th, 2012, 07:45 AM
haha! i have that problem with my hair sometimes. it did a natural ombre itself this summer, and everyone thought i dyed it! i actually have that problem more with people commenting on my eyes than hair, though. i have really long lashes and most of my friends think im ALWAYS wearing mascara, which is just not the case. i hate when people swear that either your hair or makeup isnt just you and that you HAD to have done something!

Oh God, I get that with my eyelashes too! People are always asking me it they're real. I hardly ever wear mascara either (mostly because I hate removing it) but I do dye them black, since they're quite fair.

Arden
December 30th, 2012, 08:43 AM
My hair is 100 % natural but until about 2 years ago I had it dyed regularly. My natural color is a dark brown auburn chestnut color. I have grey streaks sporadically threwout. People think they're highlights.

I get comments often, "who does your hair?" ....My response, "God"

Iolanthe13
December 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM
People often mistake me for a natural redhead (I guess henna + blue-gray eyes + pale warm complexion + warm blonde eyebrows is pretty convincing). The funny thing is that I still get that when I have an inch of blonette roots. I guess some redheads are close to blonette anyway.

Nobody has ever mistaken my natural colour for dye, though - it was so long and always in a bun, and my natural highlights are pretty subtle. However, people used to ask if I had extensions, which amused me.

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Part of mine are bleach part are real.

spidermom
December 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Well, you can't control what other people think, so try not to let it bother you. Their mistake.

Oksana
December 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Majority of people fail to believe that my hair is naturally this light. Like you, my hair bleaches quickly in the sun so my ends are lighter in comparison with my roots which are slightly darker.

Kaelee
December 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I haven't seen my natural color in years, so I don't know what people would think of it. People tend to think my hennaed hair is natural, even though I don't think it looks all that natural in most light.

I DID have someone ask me if my EYE COLOR was natural though. I have brown eyes, they're not really anything spectacular (I don't think) but he wanted to know if I was wearing colored contacts. I wasn't bothered by the question at all but I was confused!!! :lol:

ladyfey
December 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I had a hair dresser insist that I had highlights once! When I said that i don't dye my hair, she said, "oh, I know, just highlights." She then pestered and pestered me to find out where I got them done, because my hair wasn't damaged from them. I kept telling her, "it's not dye!" She then decided that it must be Sun-In instead!

Kaelee
December 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I had a hair dresser insist that I had highlights once! When I said that i don't dye my hair, she said, "oh, I know, just highlights." She then pestered and pestered me to find out where I got them done, because my hair wasn't damaged from them. I kept telling her, "it's not dye!" She then decided that it must be Sun-In instead!

Good grief!!! That's pretty unprofessional behavior! I'd be ticked off! :steam

theemeraldskull
December 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM

Good grief!!! That's pretty unprofessional behavior! I'd be ticked off! :steam

Wow, that's crazy, and ditto to Kaelee, pretty unprofessional! Seriously. I don't know why it's so hard to believe someone has natural hair, especially if they have stated so multiple times. Most women (that I have known) don't lie about that sort of thing. Haha

I have had like one person ask me if my hair was its natural color, and a few people ask if I have extensions... the answer to both is "No" haha :D

NoRush
December 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Lol my mom has this "problem" too, she has naturally occurring meches, black and white :P she dyes her hair (ash-blonde bottle color) but because her whites don't catch color well she ends up with the best highlights/lowlights ever, and everybody asks her who does her hair, her most common answer is "mother nature takes care of it". ;)

My own hair bleaches a lot too, this past summer all the hair around my face was pretty much blonde (I'm a rather dark brunette) and I still have a bit of the ombre effect on my ends. Personally I like it :shrug:

Don't let it bother you! Let their envy feed your own ego :bunny::bounce:

jasper
December 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I can remember sitting in a stylist's chair arguing with him about whether I bleached my hair or if it was natural. As a clincher to his argument, he lifted a strand to show me in the mirror, the obvious two-toned evidence. I had an outdoor job and wore a pony tail sticking out the back of my hat most of the time, so I had sun damage on the length and darker roots. :shrug: I dunno. Sunshine is natural, but I am not sure he was wrong in saying that those blonde highlights weren't my "natural color."

blondecat
December 31st, 2012, 02:14 AM
48 and still light. (it is Sunbleach )

MonaMayfair
December 31st, 2012, 06:08 AM

That's crazy! It's not like it's unusual to see people with natural highlights. I can only assume as a hairdresser, she was so used to seeing dyed hair all day, she'd forgotten what natural hair looked like!