PDA

View Full Version : homemade protein treatments or other protein treatments

qijino1236
December 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I am just starting a thread to find out what types of protein treatments you use and how have they helped your hair? I have no experience with protein treatments and am wondering if it is for me.
Does the protein treatment that you do leave residue? Does ACV leave residue? I am wondering this because I am trying to do No Water/Sebum Only but I initially want to do a clarifying...then do a protein treatment and/or ACV rinse or neither; it all depends on if those process leave residue before starting No Water/Sebum Only. From what I have found protein treatment should be done after clarifying because after clarifying the cuticles become open?

Sillage
December 28th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I don't know how much clarifying opens the cuticle of the hair* but if you're referencing a post I made about clarifying, protein treatments, and ACV let me be more clear: ACV is supposed to help smooth down the cuticle which is why I do it after the protein treatment. When I clarify I don't know if I'm opening up the cuticle more (I hope not! lol) but I do know that the cuticle is more open than when it's been rinsed in ACV. If I'm not explaining myself well enough, please tell me! :)

As for the protein treatments ApHogee 2 Step has totally changed my hair. Nothing I have done has ever left it as sleek, shiny, and healthy looking as this. K Pak is great but it doesn't produce the same dramatic, lasting results as ApHogee 2 Step. For reference I permanently dye my hair with volume 20 developer which is probably why my hair likes protein so much. As to weather these protein treatments leave residue I guess it depends on what you call residue-- does the protein they leave in your hair count? ApHogee requires that you follow up with a rich conditioner and K Pak feels like a conditioner so I guess they both leave something besides the protein in your hair.

I have no idea how this effects NW/SO. Personally it's not something that I would ever do because my hair needs to be washed.

*unless you're using baking soda which does open the cuticle some due to it's high pH

rock007junkie
December 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Apohogee is a very strong protein treatment. It's awesome but I'm lazy and for me it takes too long (You have to use a moisturizinf treatmeant afterwards).
My favorite one is Curl Junkie's Repair Me-I love it because this one moisturizes at the same time, it's a one step deal. I bought one from SheScentit for Black Friday which I have yet to try. As soon as I do I'll report back

qijino1236
December 28th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I think I remember seeing an external link that was showing an opened and then closed cuticle so I am not sure if it was your earlier post that gave me the idea that clarifying opens the cuticle, but if it was thanks for clarifying your info :)

Now that you phrase it that way: "protein treatments leave residue I guess it depends on what you call residue - does the protein they leave in your hair count?" I guess the next question that comes to my mind is "Does the hair completely absorb the protein in some protein treatments". If it does completely absorb the protein then I am thinking that the protein doesn't count as residue". But I guess I'll have to ask that in the NW/SO only section or hope an experienced NW/SO user sees this post.
Thanks for the posts!

Sillage
December 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Apohogee is a very strong protein treatment. It's awesome but I'm lazy and for me it takes too long (You have to use a moisturizinf treatmeant afterwards).
My favorite one is Curl Junkie's Repair Me-I love it because this one moisturizes at the same time, it's a one step deal.

Agreeing that ApHogee 2 Step is super strong and a pain to do, lol. Can you compare Curl Junkie Repair Me to K Pak? I like K pak but am always on the look out for something new.

but if it was thanks for clarifying your info :)

LOL I just don't want to be handing out the wrong info ;)

I guess the next question that comes to my mind is "Does the hair completely absorb the protein in some protein treatments".

That's a great question. I wonder how the protein binds or attaches itself to the hair, how long it can stay attached, etc etc. Maybe someone who knows can chime in.

alyaziaaah
December 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I don't know if it binds completely but I think it depends on the product you use.
I myself reconstructed severely damaged hair with aphogee 2step and later with Grund Tiger reconstructor and Tiger Masque.
They call it permanent reconstructing. Well, it comes really close to that. I don't feel I lose the protein at all.
I merely build up on the old treatment with the new and everytime my hair gets stronger and better.
So, in that case, I do think it really binds completely.
Those 2 Grund products are really amazing and much easier to use than apogee 2 step.
Same strength though. Good to alternate both products. The reconstructor with any condish after and the Masque alone.

Allychan
December 28th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I just use a homemade egg yolk protein pack, I don't include the whites of the egg because it makes it too dry and sticky. I have also heard of people using soy sauce as a protein treatment too but have not tried that yet.

Lissandria
December 29th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I use gelatine powder in boiling water- 1/2-1/8 tsp to half a cup depending on how much I think my hair needs it. I add a pinch of citric acid a dollop of plain, cone free condish and some coconut oil. I dump this on my head in the shower post shampoo, rinse out after 3-5 minutes then follow with a moisturising treatment.
I love this method as a protein treatment cos it is cheap and effective. The protein molecules from gelatin are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft. HTH :)

jojo
December 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I use gelatine powder in boiling water- 1/2-1/8 tsp to half a cup depending on how much I think my hair needs it. I add a pinch of citric acid a dollop of plain, cone free condish and some coconut oil. I dump this on my head in the shower post shampoo, rinse out after 3-5 minutes then follow with a moisturising treatment.
I love this method as a protein treatment cos it is cheap and effective. The protein molecules from gelatin are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft. HTH :)
This is my favorite protein treatment, i do it the exact same way, its cheap and it gives excellent results!

Sillage
December 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Those 2 Grund products are really amazing and much easier to use than apogee 2 step.
Same strength though. Good to alternate both products. The reconstructor with any condish after and the Masque alone.

You're saying that the Grund products are as strong as ApHogee 2 Step?! OMG can I finally stop using ApHogee and do something that isn't a tremendous production? :pray: Off to google!