PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to trim? How are my ends?(Pics)

The-Young-Maid
December 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hello everyone! My last dusting was in January and I was planning on getting another soon, probably in jan or feb. I figured a year was as long as I could go between trims without my ends looking too ratty. But I started wearing my hair up more often and then every day since the summer. So my ends still feel pretty nice they're soft and don't have many splits. Unfortunately, it has thinned some at the ends(from shedding)! So I'm wondering what I should do. Should I trim? If so how much? My current goal is classic and once I get there I want to maintain for a while for a blunt hemline. Does it matter what my ends look like if I wear my hair up everyday anyway? I really want to join A Year Without Trims:2013 and Wear Hair Up For A Year Challenge!:cheese:
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4984/58104761723.jpg (http://www.bannerfans.com)http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9566/61161461b1d0126m3.jpg (http://www.BannerFans.com)
Sorry I don't have a close up, this picture just doesn't do my ends justice. I twirled the length around a bit so they would clump and you could actually see them.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9127/58104761715.jpg (http://www.bannerfans.com)My hair behaves so well in braided buns! This is my Jane Eyre inspired bun with two sidebraids.

kallarina
December 28th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I am struggling with the same question. At tailbone, going for classic, really don't want to lose any length... Here's what I decided. I'm going to do a trim when I see DBF again in January (we are in Christmas break in different locations), and then do the year without trims. Maybe that could work for you too! Start the challenge off right with a nice trim.

Annibelle
December 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I think your hair looks great. :thumbsup: IMO you have no need to trim, and trimming may make updos more difficult.

lunalocks
December 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I just had a 1/2 inch trim. I do a 1/4 to 1/2 inch trim every 3 or 4 months. i do wear my hair down at times, and a small trim does wonders for the hemline. But if your ends are good and you wear it up all the time, you don't meed to trim. I have a blunt hemline and have no trouble with updos because of it.

sisi33
December 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I would just do a little micro trim- personally, I would rather cut 1/8" now, than 1/2" later down the road.

spidermom
December 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM
YMMV, of course, but I've learned my lesson about skipping trims and will trim regularly from now on. The ends are so much nicer that way! (but that's my hair)

Starstece
December 28th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I have the same problem, I am thinking about cutting off 5 cm to thicken up my hemline and take it from there. My next trim is January 2nd and from then on I will wear it up! And trim my ends every 3 to 4 months, I think I will measure it and take pictures to log it this time because I don't really see growth anymore since it is hip-ish...
Just one question, do you girls cut your own hair? And how? I tried once but I did more damage than good.

melusine963
December 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM
You're right, apart from the thinner ends your hair looks in great condition. If you really have no splits and you're happy wearing it up almost exclusively next year, then I wouldn't say you need anything more than a micro-trim. If you plan to wear it down and show it off occasionally, however, I'd recommend trimming off maybe two inches.

jacqueline101
December 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I'd agree maybe a micro trim is in order.

lapushka
December 28th, 2012, 04:44 PM
You do have a bit of taper going on, but I see no reason to trim just yet. Your ends look fine. If you must trim, microtrim.

Lostsoule77
December 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I would say do a small microtrim and then leave it be. If your ends are still in good condition there is no reason to do a large trim. I would do the microtrim though just to freshen up the ends and be preemptive on splits.

RileyJane
December 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM
i noticed with my hair: if i can see a good amount of split ends ( more than say, 5 when i look at my ends) i know now that it means i need to s&d, and if the majority of the ends are split ( happens once in a while) then i just need a good 1/2in trim, i think its a good rule of thumb so later on youre not frustrated when you realize u really need a trim

Fantak
December 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
My hair looks the same as yours does (TB length with thin ends from about waist). I also hope to get to classic an maintain. I wear it up all the times now and have been micro trimming every 3 months for the past 9 months or so.

It has worked well for my hair (1c/2a-ii/iii-F) and I plan to carry on like this until I reach classic :) my reasoning is that I hope to get to knee but need to stop as classic to thicken up the hemline. If I microtrim on the way to classic it will mean a shorter time maintaining (hopefully!).

Maverick494
December 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Hmm, your ends do look on the thin/transparent side. In my experience this gets worse as time moves on and though you may reach your length goal with them, the hemline you're aiming for will be far behind. Better to freshen things up and embark on the no-trims-for-a-year challenge with an evened up hemline. Plus if you plan on wearing your hair up anyway, it'll be much easier to maintain the new hemline. That's just me though, but if a good hemline matters to you, I'd really advise you to go for that trim first.

kaydana
December 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
If you're not getting issues with splits and breakage, and you always wear your hair up, then I'd skip the trim and get to your goal just that little bit faster, then you can work on your hem from there.

The-Young-Maid
January 1st, 2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies!!And happy new year!!:o Sorry about the late reply, I was pretty busy. I have decided that I won't trim for now. I think I'll wait another year and see where I am then - hopefully classic! I really hope that my thinning won't be too drastic. I think my ends could be thin because of old heat damage? It's possible because I haven't trimmed more than a couple inches since I started growing(I've been heat free for ... 2 years?) They feel fine now though so I don't think I'll have to worry about breakage - just shedding.:(