PDA

View Full Version : Trim, style, shape?

ZenaZoo
December 28th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I've never been to a hair dressers, I'm quite wary of them as I know a lot of people have bad experiences.
but my mum gave me a bit of money for Christmas and I've been thinking of getting a bit of a trim for new year so I can start my new year growing plan,
i have past BSL with only a tad longer to go before waist.
I don't want layers as such as I've been trying to grow some out for a few months now, I have about a 2- 3 inch step in my hair,and a slightly U shape in the under side.My hair is straight when air dry and let down or waves a few times if I have it up and twisted. It looks a bit odd when it waves cause my layer flicks out where the rest doesn't.

my plan was to have a decent trim,maybe add some shape (slightly) then when I get just past waist, cut to an even, thick hem.

what kind of cut would give me is shape without a head full of layers.
Does anyone have any pictures I could look at? Or have had this problem too...

I've looked on the net and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, they're all either razor cut from the crown into APL or dead straight with a fringe,(not what I want at All)

I just want something that will fall nicely but can be tamed Without too many sticky outy bits for my updo's

I have faith you guys can help!
:bowtome:

gillybeanxo3921
December 28th, 2012, 05:43 AM
hmmm I don't really know much about cuts. If you want more shape, you could try making your hair curlier/wavier, but plopping or leaving wet hair in braids over night.

From experience, going to get a cut and asking for a new shape and such, will probably lead to getting more than you wanted cut off. Been there done that :doh:

WaitingSoLong
December 28th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I think the best you can do is alter the shape of your hemline. Without pics, I am not sure what would do best for your hair. I was thinking blunt on bottom and rounded on the ended. Brought around front this can give a framing effect.

Perhaps just get a little trim or nothing at all and spend the $$ on deep conditioning treatments or something?

dulce
December 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I so agree with Gillybean!Going to a hairdresser and asking for any change in my look has always led to a cut with much more off than I'd wanted.

jacqueline101
December 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I think it depends on the place I've had some bad hair dressers as well as good. I don't plan on trimming until it grows more.

torrilin
December 28th, 2012, 10:39 AM
If what you want is an even, thick hem sort of look, what I'd do is my usual:

I tell the stylist I'm growing my hair out, and the split ends have gotten to the point where they are driving me mad. I show them how I determine excessive splits, and how much I think needs to be cut off. No finger gestures, I show them the parts of my hair that I consider damaged, and the point on my hair that feels healthy enough to me. I'm very specific and I use lots of examples. I tell the stylist that I prefer a very straight, very blunt hem.

Then I have them go through my hair so they can see what they think, and show me how much they think should be taken off. Again, I want them to show me on the actual hair. Generally they will want to take off less than I do... I'm really really really fussy about split ends. We negotiate a compromise. They can always cut more off if they decide I was right, but it's not possible to cut off less.

So far, I've never been unhappy with the results from doing this.

If I wanted to maintain some other hemline, I'd find a picture showing what I want and I'd ask different stylists and barbers how I should ask for that look. I'd make sure to hit up at least a couple stylists who teach at different beauty schools. The "very straight, very blunt" description I use for my hem is a clear technical way of describing to a stylist exactly what I want. I've found it's much better to use the same technical language a stylist would because it reduces confusion for me and for them. So a new hemline look would involve learning the right technical terms to describe it. I actively avoid words like "some" "light" "gentle" or "slight".

I would never ask a stylist for things like "more movement" or "more shape". If I want something different, I find a picture or set of pictures illustrating the look I want, ideally on the most natural fine and straight hair I can find. I'll often plan out a change of cut with a sequence of pictures showing my starting point and 2-3 "in between" cuts as I move towards my goal look. The more specific I am, the better the odds that I'm happy with the resulting cut.

jojo
December 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM
^^ need a like button, agree with the above!