PDA

View Full Version : Grocery list - what are some good foods I should put on the list for healthy hair?

qijino1236
December 27th, 2012, 11:53 PM
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/top-10-foods-for-healthy-hair?page=2 … this is a list of top ten foods for healthy hair. What are some other healthy (and cheap if possible, doesn't all have to be cheap though) things to eat or meals to create for healthy hair?

akilina
December 28th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Foods with protein..Buy yourself a package of chicken to eat so you can make a few meals.. I am basically an advocate for ALL fruits and veggies or any sort. Healthy body from the inside out. Drink plenty of water. Take a well balanced multi vitamin if you feel its necessary. I am more into getting nutrition from food though..not vitamins. I do take Maca and calcium but that is all.

Eat yogurt..It has protein. My favorite is to buy plain greek yogurt (not full fat for me), top it with a little bit of honey, a few berries, and a spoon of flax seeds..I don't know if its the same for everyone but flax seeds in bulk are incredibly cheap here. I get plain because there is less sugar and carbs than the flavored ones with the funky freaky fruity jelly crud in the bottom shudder:
Sometimes, to make yogurt fun I add one spoon full of instant pudding mix and mix it up and let it set for a while but with greek yogurt I have to add in a little water or rice milk because it gets too thick.

I am not sure how you eat already but to me its a life style change. Not just selectively eating a little good stuff here and there.I have picked up the habit of eating like this for several months now and I am still trying to perfect it..so I do not know/do not claim to know everything.

TheHowlingWolf
December 28th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Ooh I'm going to follow this thread because I want to know too! It's my NYR to eat healthy anyway!

TheHowlingWolf
December 28th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Also, I'm going vegan (after 7+ years being vegetarian), so I'm going to have to do a lot of research on new foods to try!

qijino1236
December 28th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the advice akilina...yeah of course fruits and veggies:) I have been eating plain yogurt with berries and nuts in them. Never had the greek though...I guess next time I'll try the plain greek yogurt and the flax seeds w/ berries. Other things I eat that I am assuming are probably good for health and the hair are rice chex cereal with pomegranates(or other fruit) in them, oatmeal w/ berries and honey

Grocery list so far by food group -
Veggies - spinach, lentils(i think I'll get some progresso lentil soup, unless anyone disagrees that it may be bad for hair and health), sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, avacado, kale, broccoli
Fruits - raspberries/strawberries/blueberries, pomegranates, cantalope, kiwi, mango, apricot
Dairy – skim milk, greek yogurt
nuts/seeds - flax seeds, walnuts,
meats - chicken, eggs, oysters, salmon, lean beef
Bread/cereal/rice/pasta - rice chex??, ??? bread
other - multi-vitamins, water, honey, walnut-oil in salad dressing

post more foods for the grocery list!!

Grocery list so far by Vitamins
Omega-3 fatty acids(benefit to hair – 1)rich in Vita-D & protein for strong hair
2) Omega-3s are also found in cell membranes in the skin of your scalp, and in the natural oils that keep your scalp and hair hydrated.) – Salmon, walnuts, avocado, flaxseed
Biotin(benefit to hair- protects cells from DNA -good due to the fact that your hair isn't protected from the sun...too little biotin can lead to hair loss) – Walnuts, Walnut-oil, lentils
Vitamin E (benefit to hair- protects cells from DNA -good due to the fact that your hair isn't protected from the sun) – Walnuts, Walnut-oil
Zinc (benefit to hair - a lack of zinc can lead to hair loss (even in your eyelashes), as well as a dry, flaky scalp) – Oysters, beef, eggs, lentils
Antioxident Beta Carotene – body turns BC into vita-A and quote “every cell of the body cannot function without enough A” (benefit to hair - helps protect and produce the oils that sustain your scalp, and being low on vitamin A can even leave you with itchy, irksome dandruff.) - Carrots, cantelope, mangos, apricots
Iron – (benefit to hair - it helps cells carry oxygen to the hair follicles, and too little iron (anemia) is a major cause of hair loss) – Eggs, chicken, beef, pork, lentils
The iron, beta carotene, folate, and vitamin C in spinach help keep hair follicles healthy and scalp oils circulating. - Spinach
Protein – (benefit to hair – 1) greek yogurt is high in hair-friendly protein 2) Because hair is nearly all protein, "foods rich in protein are literally giving you the building blocks for hair," ) - lentils, eggs, salmon, walnut-oil, walnuts, chicken, lean beef, pork, greek yogurt
Vitamin D – (benefit to hair - Emerging research links vitamin D and hair follicle health, but exactly how that works isn't clear ) - greek yogurt, skim milk
Vitamin C - (benefit to hair - C is critical for circulation to the scalp and supports the tiny blood vessels that feed the follicles. Too little C in your diet can lead to hair breakage. ) - Kiwis, strawberries, pomegranates, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries
Vitamin B-6 – (benefit to hair - B-6 reduces the sensitivity of hair and skin to the effects of testosterone, which plays roles in male-pattern baldness and skin conditions, such as acne. In addition, B-6 is required for the synthesis of RNA and DNA that contain the instructions for the reproduction and growth of all cells and tissue, including hair. Further, it is needed to form proteins -- the primary constituent of hair.) - flax seeds
Vitamin B-9 or folate – (benefit to hair - A deficiency of folate may result in hair loss) – flax seeds, spinach
Note about honey in oatmeal - When honey is mixed with water, a chemical reaction takes place resulting in the creation of hydrogen peroxide, a natural antibiotic so I am assuming honey in oatmeal+water has some hydrogen peroxide.

sakuraemily
December 28th, 2012, 02:27 AM
if you can find amlas(Indian gooseberry), its one of the best hair foods you can possibly have. Its also a richer source of vitamin c than oranges or bell peppers.

qijino1236
December 28th, 2012, 03:04 AM
if you can find amlas(Indian gooseberry), its one of the best hair foods you can possibly have. Its also a richer source of vitamin c than oranges or bell peppers.

Thanks sakuraemily! I just watched a youtube video on the health benefits of almas.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKQmiXjn18. Sounds like a really good fruit. I don't know if they are going to be at a local grocery store though...I hope they are. Have a good day!:joy:

Allychan
December 28th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Mixed Nuts, they have protein and full of the good fats Omega 3 some contain selenium (brazil nuts), zinc (almonds, cashews & pecans), Vit E (hazelnuts), biotin (walnuts) and b vitamins (hazelnuts). Hazelnuts also contain calcium, folic acid, iron, linolenic acid. and potassium. Walnuts also contain alpha-linolenic acid.
They also have a great weight loss effect if eaten with regular meals.
They are inexpensive and if you eat them whilst walking in the sun you will also get your daily does of Vitamin D :)

qijino1236
December 28th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Awesome information, Alleychan, thank you very much. I guess I'll repost an updated grocery list if this thread receives a few more posts.

Dreamkitty
December 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
:)I try to eat a balanced diet from every food group because I get bored of eating same food everyday, if I did then I just lose the taste for the food, even if it's my favourite.

I alternate beautiful vegetables in the big supermarket but my mum also gets Asian vegetables from the smaller markets, Ive eaten red spinach, yam & it's green roots, okra, bok choi, bitter gourd as well as some more exotic veg that I don't know the name of.

Protein- Chicken & fish, is I eat more often, eggs, lean meat I eat occasionally for iron, lentils, nuts. Again I switch the protein I eat, like yesterday I ate very tiny fish like anchovies.

Fruit, Avocado, tomatoes, oranges, pineapple, apples, grapes, melon. Love blueberries but they are expensive so I tend to get the bigger bulkier fruits lol.

And tinned chickpeas, baked beans, kidney beans, frozen veg, quorn, make quick healthy meals when short on time.

Semi skimmed milk, low fat yoghurt- I feel it a good balance because it contains some fat soluble vitamins as opposed to fat free as well as it's lower in fat.

Oils- Extra virgin olive oil, rapeseed oil.

Don't take any vitamin supplements because I feel I get every from my food :).

Mayflower
December 28th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Just eat a balanced diet full of different proteins, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats.
For breakfast I'll usually have a big smoothie (at least 2 large glasses) with fruits and dark leafy greens, and I'd add peanut butter for protein and healthy fats, yoghurt for calcium and sometimes almond milk. Oatmeal with almond milk and berries is amazing too, or egg-banana "pancakes" with some fruit. But the green smoothies give me the most and long-lasting energy (you can look it up, there is tons of info on green smoothies!)

For lunch I usually have chicken, turkey or salmon (I eat meat about 3 times a week, tiny portions), or whole grain pasta with beans, tomatoes and oyster mushrooms. You can add whatever veggies you like. Or a vegetarian burger with sweet potato, a vegetarian quiche,.. so many options.

Then for dinner I like whole grain bread or ciabatta with brie and honey, or with tomato spread or hummus. I usually add a salad of lettuce, baby spinach, pumpkin seeds, smoked salmon, dried tomatoes etc. etc. Or an omelet with leek, tomatoes, mushrooms, brocolli, asparagus, zucchini. Basically whatever I feel like at the moment.

Some things I try to eat everyday:

- coconut oil: this is amazing for hair, skin, blood sugar and the digestive system among many other things
- goji berries: these are a vitamin bomb and you only need a little palmful a day. I add them to my smoothies
- peanut butter: the organic kind, with peanuts as the only ingredient. Full of healty fats and protein
- dark leafy greens: like kale, spinach,..
- bananas and blueberries

Like akilina said, there isn't just one food you can eat that will make all the difference. If you take a multivitamin and you suddenly notice a huge difference in the growth rate of your hair, then maybe you're lacking certain things in your diet. So a clean diet is always the starting point!

RileyJane
December 29th, 2012, 09:56 AM
well whats good for your hair is good for your body! basically: lean meats (chicken, turkey) , fish (haddock, salmon,etc), veggies, fruits, anything with protein in it is good for your hair, yogurts ( natural ) and just try to stay away from anything that is pure sugar, is loaded with fats or sodium, good rule of thumb is your dont need it. ive been eating healthy since i go to the gym and got serious about it, and my hair is thanking me :)

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Broccoli and cheese, 2% milk with slim fast its vitamin loaded, chicken, yams, oatmeal. I like a smidgen of chocolate, hot tea and sugar.

jeanniet
December 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Grocery list so far by food group -
Veggies - spinach, lentils(i think I'll get some progresso lentil soup, unless anyone disagrees that it may be bad for hair and health),

Note about honey in oatmeal - When honey is mixed with water, a chemical reaction takes place resulting in the creation of hydrogen peroxide, a natural antibiotic so I am assuming honey in oatmeal+water has some hydrogen peroxide.

Commercial soups are horribly high in sodium. The RDA for sodium is around 2500mg, and you really only need about 1500mg. Most commercial soups have half that per serving, two servings per can, but usually people eat the whole can, so that's a lot of sodium! Lentil soup is really easy to make, especially if you have a pressure cooker. Just chop up an onion and a carrot or two, add stock and lentils, and whatever else you want to add. I usually put in a bit of bacon for flavor, barley, and kale, chard, or spinach. Simmer til the lentils are done. Yummy!

Honey naturally contains hydrogen peroxide. That's why people use it to lighten hair. High heat kills it, though.

ETA: Meant to add that if you avoid processed foods as much as possible, you're more than halfway there. Eat fresh and natural, and you'll do all right.

catamonica
December 30th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Extra Virgin oil is great. I put two capfuls in my shampoo & conditioner. It really makes my hair soft. And I put two capfuls of Aloe Vera gel in my conditioner. The Aloe makes it even softer.

Natalia
December 30th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Some major catagories are -

Mono/poly unsaturated fats -
Chia
Flax
Salmon
avocado

B vitamins -
Nutritional yeast
liver
avocado
brazil nuts
asparagus
artichokes

Vitamin C -
Leafy greens
guava
citrus
mango
pretty much fruits and veggies in general

Some other good skin/hair/nails nutrients are selenium, zinc, and beta carotene (plant made vitamin a you cant od on). Very few people are deficient in protein but it is important and getting your iron checked at your next doctors appointment is a good idea. If your body is strugging in any area it will take from your hair skin and nails so be sure to adress anyother issues you may have.

qijino1236
December 30th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Hi, Mayflower, I am just wondering about part of the post you made:

....or egg-banana "pancakes" with some fruit.

You had pancakes in quotes so I was wondering if you had some unique ingredients to make this egg-banana "pancake"?
I would love to make a healthy pancake.:D

qijino1236
January 1st, 2013, 12:51 AM
Newest(1-1-13).. Updated healthy hair grocery list so far by food group -
Veggies - leafy greens--spinach, lentils(i think I'll get some progresso lentil soup, unless anyone disagrees that it may be bad for hair and health), sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, avacado, kale, broccoli(and cheese?), chickpeas, baked beans, kidney beans, quorn, artichokes,
Fruits - raspberries/strawberries/blueberries, pomegranates, cantalope, kiwi, mango, apricot, amlas, goji berries, guava, bananas
Dairy – skim milk, greek yogurt,
nuts/seeds - flax seeds, walnuts, Mixed Nuts, peanut butter, chia seed
meats - chicken, eggs, oysters, salmon, lean beef, liver
Bread/cereal/rice/pasta - rice chex??, whole grain bread, ciabatta with brie and honey
other - multi-vitamins, water, honey, walnut-oil in salad dressing, green smoothies, grapeseed oil, virgin olive oil