PDA

View Full Version : Question about a long hair community specific acronym

qijino1236
December 27th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Hi sorry this may be kind of a random question but I have been making a list of questions to ask on LHC...
After this quote I have the question
Hey pals Just checking in . . . as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes there's not much to say about SO, it's so simple.
Still on the wagon after my rinse a couple weeks ago;that rinse really reset things for me -
sebum production is almost nil so I've had to spritz and apply light MO, just to the canopy.

I don't remember where this was in the thread... but, Does anyone know what MO stands for?

Audhumla
December 28th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Mineral Oil probably or Monoi Oil (which is mostly a mix of coconut, almond, brazil nut and sesame oil iirc)

qijino1236
December 28th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks Audhumla, I was not sure what that would be:). Well if it is mineral oil, I know that mineral oil is a moisturizer, but I have also heard this about mineral oil:

1) Not sure if true → Mineral oil is a cheap oil that actually clogs the scalp and stunts hair growth because of how slow it absorbs. It causes your hairs sebum(natural oil) not to run down your hair and condition your hair. .

If it is Mineral oil that person was using I am not sure that would work good to increase sebum production. I guess they said "just to the canopy" though.

Minoi Oil...hmm that sounds a little less comedogenic :)

DarkCurls
December 28th, 2012, 02:55 AM
:p I seem to recall coconut oil is highly comedogenic, too. Not that I care, really. It works amazingly well for my hair, and my elbows, too. Besides, unless she's applying globs of mineral oil (which is what I believe it stands for in this case, but I guess it could be Monoi...) straight to the scalp, I don't think it would matter.
Mineral oil is fine to use on hair. It detangles, smooths, and moisturises. (And yes, it's quite cheap.) It works for some people, doesn't work for others, just like any other product. That's the only bad thing to be said about it.

qijino1236
December 28th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Oh ok, I guess coconut oil does have a comedogency of 3 one of the highest oils. And now that I look at my list again mineral oils have comedogency of 0. So now I am wondering where I got that info: "Mineral oil is a cheap oil that actually clogs the scalp and stunts hair growt..."
I have read extensively about comedogency and comedones but I guess I still don't understand it because from my understanding if you have a comedogency of 0...that would be the least clogging, least likely to cause comedones so mineral oil clogging the scalp wouldn't make sense.

melusine963
December 28th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would ever apply mineral oil to their scalp. Admittedly I've never tried it. I use coconut oil, but I'm careful to only apply it from my chin down. Any higher and it makes my hair get greasy much faster. My scalp produces more than enough oil on its own without me adding to it artificially.

Rosetta
December 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Mineral Oil probably or Monoi Oil (which is mostly a mix of coconut, almond, brazil nut and sesame oil iirc)
Monoi oil is actually coconut oil blended with tiare flowers, genuine monoi oil that is - or to be more precise, quoting wikipedia, it's "an infused perfume-oil made from soaking the petals of Tahitian gardenias (best known as Tiaré flowers) in a semi-wax coconut oil".
Some less genuine ones do also use mineral oil in addition to coconut, but I've never heard of a monoi oil containing brazil nut, sesame or almond oil.

Audhumla
December 29th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Monoi oil is actually coconut oil blended with tiare flowers, genuine monoi oil that is - or to be more precise, quoting wikipedia, it's "an infused perfume-oil made from soaking the petals of Tahitian gardenias (best known as Tiaré flowers) in a semi-wax coconut oil".
Some less genuine ones do also use mineral oil in addition to coconut, but I've never heard of a monoi oil containing brazil nut, sesame or almond oil.

Oh ok fair enough. I've never used it. I must've looked up something branded as monoi oil when I first heard of it and got it in my mind that that was how it was supposed to be.
It's strange how different brands always find the need to take the name of something that has a legitimate benefit and dilute it with whatever they have lying around. I guess if people keep buying things like that then they'll continue to be made :shrug: