PDA

View Full Version : your favorite rinse to gently remove buildup?

LaceyNg
December 27th, 2012, 11:03 PM
i've been loosely WO for a year and a month now. i occasionally do ACV rinses, but DH HATES the smell, and they dont do a great job of removing buildup, despite upping the vinegar-to-water ratio. they DO give me super soft hair, but what i'm looking for is something to get rid of just a bit of buildup.

i used color oops a couple times recently, which requires shampoo afterwards, and now my hair is NOT happy. its at the greasy stage all over again. *sigh* last time i transitioned from CO to WO i used tea rinses to help things along, but this time around they arent seeming to touch the greasiness at all.

any suggestions? tonight i'm going to do an oiling, and then wash it out in a couple days. that did help me a lot during the last transition, but i was curious to see what you guys would rec.

LaceyNg
December 29th, 2012, 07:25 PM
*is sad to see that no one has any ideas * :(

Roscata
December 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Clarifying (remove on top of the hair build-up) can be naturally done with baking soda and vinegar rinses. This is how:
- one tea spoon of baking soda to one 8oz cup of water, mix until fully disolved
- apply mixture to hair
- rub well it into your scalp and length
- rinse it out
- one tea spoon of vinegar (NOT balsamic) or (pure) lemon juice to one 8oz cup of water
- pour it over your hair and scalp
- rub it well into your scalp and length
- rinse it out
- or you can just leave it on your hair
(source (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/))

Chelating (remove mineral build-up) can be done naturally with:
Club soda rinses can remove calcium and magnezium build-up.
Citric acid can remove hard water build-up.
Coconut oil removed iron and copper build-up.
Vinegar or lemon juice (lemon juice doesn't smell as badly as vinegar, and white vinegar is less smelly than ACV) rinse can remove calcium and magnesium build-up (most often found in hard water), one tea spoon of vinegar or a half a tea spoon of lemon juice to one cup of water should be enough, but you can increase the concentration depending on how harsh/strong you want it to be.

(for more info and more links, you can check out my original blog entry: Removing build-up from hair (http://adelinahair.blogspot.com/2012/08/removing-build-up-from-hair.html))

Also check out the (Official) Water Only Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412) for more ideas.

Sillage
December 30th, 2012, 07:56 AM
i occasionally do ACV rinses, but DH HATES the smell, and they dont do a great job of removing buildup, despite upping the vinegar-to-water ratio. they DO give me super soft hair, but what i'm looking for is something to get rid of just a bit of buildup.

No suggestions for getting rid of build up but if you want an alternative to ACV, citric acid works very well and isn't smelly.

missfaroe
December 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Don't know if this works at all, but I once Read that you Can take a half lemon and just sqeeze it al over your head and rub it into your skalp and length as neded. You don't have to Wash it out.

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I use clarifying shampoo works great for me.

jojo
December 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
An AVC is not used to remove build up its used to regulate ph of scalp, either baking soda mixed in water or a clarifying shampoo, i prefer the latter as BS dries my hair.

Lostsoule77
December 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I use neutrogena shampoo to clarify. Don't know if that's what you need since you are WO though.

proo
December 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Three drops Prell in half gallon distilled water.

DinaAG
December 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM
citric acid is a very good substitute for vinegar rinses for me and also you can boil or infuse some rosemary and peppermint in it to help more