PDA

View Full Version : any tips for brushing waves with baby hairs? help for defining waves day 2?

feb26
December 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I hope this hasn't already been addresssed-I did search for answers in the site preposting. I have BSL 2b hair: I have fairly fine hair that is v porous & becomes quite thick when attempting updos.I have waves from about tops of ears all the way down, the last few inches naturally curl up, the rest is all soft waves.My issue is I also have lots & lots of new baby hairs growing in constantly. I shampoo 2x a week & use a color depositing shampoo. I tried cowashing but wasn't nuts about it as it got oily/limp quickly, same with grapeseed oil. They're handy for once in awhile but not daily uses. My 1st day the waves are happy, 2nd day I lose definition. How can I regain 2nd day definition?? I find if I brush (even with a wide tooth) the waves fall out & the wave pattern looks v broken, dry. I condish like crazy, I use leave in condish. Help!!

lilliemer
December 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Have you tried an oil-and-water spritz for second day? This seems to get my waves back in line and is moisturizing. I use the shea moisture line, hair moisture mist, but many people seem to mix their own concoctions too (oil, conditioner, and water mixed).

LadyCelestina
December 28th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I second re-wetting your hair slightly and adding product or oil if needed.I wrote "if needed",because your hair sounds a lot like my hair,and my hair can sometimes go with just a water spritz,mostly when I used a lot of product on day 1.

torrilin
December 28th, 2012, 02:48 PM
While I don't use Jessicurl products, I find their video discussing 2a hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7KCldodunk) to be really helpful. My hair is 1c and fine, so while I technically have a wave pattern, it is very loose. Still, using the methods shown in the video works very well if I want to wear my hair down. They do not give me a strongly wavy appearance, but they work well for bringing out my hair's natural traits of a very loose and sleek wave.

One of the main points in the video is that the more you handle curly or wavy hair, the more it breaks up the natural clumps. The more the clumps break apart, the more your hair appears to be dry and frizzy. This means that even a really gentle finger combing can cause the appearance of frizz. Since my wave is basically invisible, this doesn't affect me much directly... but it's a big factor for hair with more wave or curl. There are a variety of techniques you could use to make second and third day hair look better. I see special sleep hairstyles, protective headgear (like sleep caps or silk scarves), silk pillowcases, and moisture sprays recommended a lot. A lot will depend on the look you want and the sorts of effort that feel excessively fussy to you.

Most of the women I know with curly hair are ok with their hair appearing straighter and somewhat frizzier as time passes between washes. In some cases, their hair may appear dead straight towards the end of a wash cycle. But most of my friends with curly hair are as fond of benign neglect as I am, and they don't put a ton of effort into "perfect" hair.

feb26
December 29th, 2012, 07:27 PM
thanks for the tips, i'll def try the water spritz method as I do recall growing up in Wpg we did this quite a bit with a hairbrush & it helped. what oil do you add to the spritz? i have baby oil, grapeseed oil & garnier fructis just came out with a moroccan oil. also, ladycelestina would love to see yr hair pics if you have any.

found some pics online that best represent my hair: links are below
on a good day, its like this http://www.google.ca/imgres?start=116&num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=688&tbm=isch&tbnid=ogDSqUrF20zgIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/role-playing-and-communal-story-building/threads/62863&docid=xZZJQXj1ZU-QbM&imgurl=http://www.showhairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/long-curly-hairstyle-with-side-bang-of-long-face-women.jpg&w=495&h=644&ei=taXfUNOhGeeRiAK99IBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=4&vpy=262&dur=4818&hovh=256&hovw=197&tx=65&ty=146&sig=115486178285997480866&page=4&tbnh=152&tbnw=119&ndsp=44&ved=1t:429,r:33,s:100,i:103 but with more side waves

by day 3 or 4, its like this http://www.google.ca/imgres?num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=688&tbm=isch&tbnid=zfLpuv3T58o_UM:&imgrefurl=http://www.network54.com/Forum/235232/thread/1214909946/It%27s%2BJuly%2B-%2BLet%27s%2Bmeasure%2Bin!&docid=nvGJH5q1qrQm7M&imgurl=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/bramblewoods/Hair/6-20-08.jpg&w=266&h=320&ei=nqXfUKHRJ4reiALNooCwBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=170&vpy=329&dur=4110&hovh=246&hovw=205&tx=119&ty=142&sig=115486178285997480866&page=2&tbnh=146&tbnw=121&start=33&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:35,s:0,i:199

LadyCelestina
December 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I have pics in my album,although not quite recent.But I just added a photo of my second day hair which has been fingercombed,oiled with coconut oil in the evening and then spritzed with lavender water in the morning. I think the results are decent. :)

Arden
December 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I hope this hasn't already been addresssed-I did search for answers in the site preposting. I have BSL 2b hair: I have fairly fine hair that is v porous & becomes quite thick when attempting updos.I have waves from about tops of ears all the way down, the last few inches naturally curl up, the rest is all soft waves.My issue is I also have lots & lots of new baby hairs growing in constantly. I shampoo 2x a week & use a color depositing shampoo. I tried cowashing but wasn't nuts about it as it got oily/limp quickly, same with grapeseed oil. They're handy for once in awhile but not daily uses. My 1st day the waves are happy, 2nd day I lose definition. How can I regain 2nd day definition?? I find if I brush (even with a wide tooth) the waves fall out & the wave pattern looks v broken, dry. I condish like crazy, I use leave in condish. Help!!

Let me know if you figure this out. If I even finger comb my hair before its dry the waves fall out. Now once it drys it's generally pretty good but I pretty much have to let it air dry untouched if I want to have good wave even fir day one. Strong definition requires product. Day two waves also require product. I decided that my hairs over all condition was most important to me so no more products.

If I could offer any advice. You may already be doing this. But if I really want waves for the day I wash, "plop" with a microfiber towel and leave it on until my hair is about 60 to 80 percent dry. I do not touch it comb it brush it anything. I deranged it with conditioner in the shower. Scrunched the water out and plop it straight away.

feb26
December 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I tried the plopping technique about 8-10mos ago & it didn't really work. I might try drying with a tshirt though as i read somewhere that it has similar properties to microfiber towels. diffusing works, but i don't have time for that on a daily basis (am up@5am!). def will try the spritzing method & let you know how it works, bought a spritzer bottle today

Arden
December 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I tried the plopping technique about 8-10mos ago & it didn't really work. I might try drying with a tshirt though as i read somewhere that it has similar properties to microfiber towels. diffusing works, but i don't have time for that on a daily basis (am up@5am!). def will try the spritzing method & let you know how it works, bought a spritzer bottle today
Uo

Diffusing I don't have the patience for to do properly. About half way threw I always get impatient and start running my hand threw my hair which totally defeats the point. Although defusing on low heat is generally better than standard blow drying.

Everyone's hair is different. Plopping is my fave cause I can wrap it up and go do other things and the results are reasonably good for me. I'll have to try the t-shirts method just to see how I like that.

I wish I could use product sometimes but just about every curl enhancing product I've tried there's something in it I'm allergic too. My hair looks great. My scalps on fire.