PDA

View Full Version : Questions about macadamia oil

CanadaSquirrel
December 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
My hairdresser, who has long hair, recommends this stuff:

http://www.macadamiahair.com/

The salon where she works sells it. It is expensive. I have bought it a few times, and love the smell. It does seem to help my hair look/feel better.

I saw at the health food store, though, organic macadamia oil, which is a lot cheaper (though still not "cheap" - macadamia anything is expensive here in Canada) than the stuff in the salon, but doesn't smell near as pretty.

I wonder, does anyone know if regular organic macadamia oil is just as good as the expensive salon stuff?

Kyaatje
December 27th, 2012, 01:55 PM
In there FAQ section they state that they use silicones and other ingredients to make it a successful blend, so you will have a different reaction on the natural macadamia oil.
Off course that doesn't mean that the natural oil isn't as good for your hair, but it is a total different approach putting a single oil into your hair or putting a mix with silicones in your hair.
(I don't use silicones at the moment but I noticed a couple of people here having success with it so I'm going to retry them soon)

Sillage
December 27th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Pure macadamia oil is going to be nothing like Macadamia Natural Oil (the brand name) Healing Oil Treatment. While macadamia oil is just macadamia oil, the stuff your using is not:

ingredients:Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Macadamia Temifolia Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Parfum/Fragrance, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexylcinnamal, Butylphenyl Methypropional, Coumarin, Linalool, Limonene

It's got cones in it and will feel very different from macadamia oil. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative Organix Macadamia Dry Oil may be an option.

ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris (Bamboo) Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Extract, Parfum, C1C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Yellow 11, Red 17.

MegaMystery
March 25th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I'm just going to revive this thread because I don't want to start a new one :)

Sometime this week I'm going to order some new henna from a webshop here, which also sells a whole bunch of oils and other things.
I don't want to pay for shipping twice, and I've been itching to get a new hair oil to try out (just ran out of argan oil). I've seen the Macadamia hair products being mentioned quite a lot lately on blogs etc. Of course I find them too expensive and I thought, just like with the argan oil-craze, that the 'real thing' might be better than a silicone-laden serum with only the tiniest amount of oil in it (I do use cones, but I really can't stand serums that pretend to be all oil when in fact, they are not).
So back to the macadamia nut oil. Is there anyone who has tried the pure oil? What does it smell like? Did it work for you? And also not unimportant: can I use it for my skin(face) as well? I like a good oil to put on my skin at night (no worries about getting shiny).
Let me know :) Even if nobody has used it, I might still order it to try it out and share my results here :)

Naiadryade
March 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I haven't used macadamia oil on my hair or skin. But I do know that macadamias are DELICIOUS! :yumm:

I also know that almost any oil can be made to smell pretty by adding your favorite essential oils. Plus you can choose them based on their other beneficial properties for hair. No cones or chemicals, just beautiful-smelling, hair-moisturizing, oily goodness!

MegaMystery
April 13th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I ordered a bottle and got it past sunday, so here I am to share my experiences so far with you :)

Pros I've been able to find:
- It is quite a bit cheaper than argan oil (at the webshop I order from it's 4,95 for 150ml macadamia oil and 15,00 for 150 ml argan oil)
- It has a similar 'feel' to it as argan oil (luxurious, thick but not too thick, skin-softening etc.)
- The smell to me is quite pleasant (like roasted nuts)
- It makes my hair very soft (but more testing required)
- It makes my skin feel amazing when I put it on my face at night (again some more testing might be required, but it hasn't made me break out so far)

Cons:
- It's still a little pricy, especially if I'm looking to do a deep-oil treatment with it (to compare I got a 500ml tub of coconut oil for 5,99).
- Otherwise none, but I'll keep testing and possibly update with more findings as the time goes on. Since I've only had it for a small week I need to test it some more to really find out the good and bad points about it.

Hope this helps someone :flower:

akuamoonmaui
April 21st, 2013, 11:01 PM
:shrug: Might I suggest Kukui nut oil? I live in Hawaii and have not seen Mac Nut oil as being a product for the skin or hair (and believe me, anything and everything to sell the Hawaiian experience is tried!) Kukui nut oil is used for skin and I've used it on my hair and loved it! My fave before that was coconut oil. The kukui is not as heavy and did the same thing as the coconut. I love oils for my hair and would encourage you to keep experimenting to find one you like.