PDA

View Full Version : Lots of shedding and tapper - usual in summer?

Khristopher
December 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I'm sorry I didn't make a proper presentation but I'm shy and don't really know what to say. Anyway I'm glad to meet you all!:o
Well, the title says it: I'm having a lot of shedding, and I noticed my hair is thinning a lot, when I did my braids to go to bed last night I noticed the ends where so thin! I never had this problem before, my braids where always thick with minimal tapper at the ends, and the shedding is from time to time but never saw such a big difference like now.
This is what I'm thinking:
1 - It's summer here, maybe that's why the hair falls a bit more and
2 - It's my first time being this long (hip), so it's something new to me and maybe this is completly normal?
I don't know... what do you guys think? Any similar experiences? If you need to know more about my routine I'll be here to answer. I started having this problem when it grew longer than waist, 2 month ago. Am I worrying too much?

Kelikea
December 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Idk, I'm shedding a lot right now, too, but it is winter here. I'm just trying to keep it moisturized. Maybe keep it up more?

Ocelan
December 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
It's quite common for people to have periods of shedding more every few years or so, but it may also be due to health problems, stress, different hair routines or diet. Have you been changing something about your hair care or diet or been having health issues? If not, then it may be normal for you and just have to wait it out since it's a part of the hairs' cycle.

If you haven't had shedding problems previous summers then I doubt it's the summer doing it. It also may be because some hairs grow faster than others and if you haven't had a trim in a while the taper might be due to some hairs racing to longer lengths faster than others. If you want to keep your hair the same thickness it usually needs to be trimmed every now and then.

However in any case it doesn't hurt to be very gentle to your hair in case it's mechanical damage like your hair rubbing somewhere every day causing breakage in the spot where the taper begins.

jacqueline101
December 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know I went through a summer shed and I found out my care routine was the cause.

PetuniaBlossom
December 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I went through a bad shed when I switched to CO (Conditioner Only) washing for a few months. When I went back to washing with shampoo, my shed rate went back to normal at once. I still will use conditioner these days, but never for washing, and I never ever let it touch my scalp.

Khristopher
January 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry for the delay, my internet was down. Thanks for your replies! Oh, now you mention it, I started COing a few months ago, but now I'm shedding so much I'm trying stretch washing. Today was crazy, everytime I touched it there were like 20 hairs in my hand after. Every.effing.time. Buns are great but I'm afraid of pull more hair out doing them. Even when I turn my head I can see hair falling.
Is there anything I can do besides being very gentle? Like oiling my scalp or massaging etc?
@jacqueline101, what was your rutine at the time? Did your hair grow back later?

Seeshami
January 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM
The Naughty Mess coughs up a hair ball at the change of every season. He's just gifted and frustrating like that.;)

panffle
January 8th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I was going through shedding for a few days, and it's summer for me too. What I noticed that helped me was shampooing a bit more often than I usually do, staying in a cool room which for me means having air conditioning on and not keeping it up too much.
I know keeping your hair down when it's warm is a bit hard, but at least for me it was pulling on my roots too much.
Hope you figure out what's causing it and get to fix it soon!

Khristopher
January 8th, 2013, 10:52 PM
The Naughty Mess coughs up a hair ball at the change of every season. He's just gifted and frustrating like that.;)

lol, indeed!

@panffle, what kind of shampoo are you using? I too wear my hair down most of the time but the most hot days is kinda hard :p
I think it could be a mix of the hot seasson making me shed and the stress of looking my hair falling giving me more shed shudder: I'll try to relax more and ignore it for now... *sigh*

Lauram
January 9th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Oiling my scalp makes me lose alot of hair!! But I know not everyone is that way. I can c.o wash just fine