PDA

View Full Version : patch of coarse hair?

Bene
August 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
help please?

for the last few years, i've noticed that the hair from the bottom of my head/ nape of neck area is courser than the rest of my hair. it's just a small area. i'm wondering if this is just a natural patch of course hair, or if it's something that i'm doing wrong in maintenance... didn't notice it before, so i'm not sure if it's always been like that.

any ideas? :confused:

yrrebwartsymssi
August 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM
i can't help you there, but i can tell you that i have a really course patch of hair in my head at the crown. It is just thick and probably about 4 a... the rest of my hair is 3b or 3c

NurseMama
August 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
A lot of people mention that the fringe on the back of the neck is more prone to tangles. Maybe it is damaged from tangling?

Katze
August 25th, 2008, 01:21 AM
?

I read the thread title as "patch, of course, hair" (of course you patch your hair? Do please patch your hair? Patch your hair? Of course! (?) ) Sorry, I'm an English teacher...

Many, many people have different kinds of hair on their heads. Mine is baby fine at the crown, for example, but "M" - which feels coarse to me - at the nape. These coarser hairs are also wavier and darker than the rest of my hair.

As far as I'm concerned it's genetic; I have my mom's Scandinavian hair (fine, straight, translucent) up top and my dad's Frankish hair below (wavy, dark, coarser). We're all a mix, so it's not surprising that hair types can mix on one head of hair.

These hairs don't grow very well and stick out from updos in a really unattractive way. This is perhaps why I really prefer wearing my hair down.

The best way I have of dealing with them is to make sure they are moisturized. It's a very fine balance, because my crown hair is so fine and easily weighed down - what works for the coarser nape hairs doesn't work for the fine hairs on top and in front.

Misting daily, and a bit of leave-in conditioner mixed with hair gel after a wash, work the best for my coarser nape hairs.

danacc
August 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM
It is most likely natural. The texture of the hair is determined by the follicle. So any sort of external hair care is not likely to affect it.

ladyshannonanne
August 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I have this exact same thing. My hair is all over wavy and quite fine. But at the nape of my neck, my hair grows in coarse ringlets. It's been this way for as long as I can remember--probably since puberty. I wouldn't worry about it. I like my ringlets!

Here's something strange, though. I have a friend who lost a patch of hair right along her hairline in the front. She has 2a hair all over. When the little patch grew back it was the curliest little corkscrew curl! It's so pretty and people always think she's used a curling iron on that little spot.

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Katze's an English teacher? o-o

The hair at the back of my neck is actually the best hair on my head, but I do have a coarse patch at the back of my head, near the part where the hair whorls out.

It's recently disappeared for the most part though. It confuses me. ): I'm not complaining, but still, odd.

Katze
August 26th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Katze's an English teacher? o-o

hijack:

yes, but at the university, where the students WANT to be there.

Strunk and White, anyone? :D

Delila
August 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
... yes, but at the university, where the students WANT to be there...

LOL!!

My hair's pretty fine, but I do have consistent patterns of waves, some stronger, some weaker in different spots on my head. I've got one right in front that's really wavy, which always made bangs a trial.

On the plus side, these stronger waves sometimes spiral.
On the negative side, the variation across my head has made it difficult to come up with a simple routine that works well for all my wave types.

PseudoScot
August 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I find when I have a slightly 'coarse' part of my hair, it's because there are more splits there. I have a weak spot at the back of my neck where collars rub, etc. I can't S&D there because I'm not bird and can't turn my head all the way around LOL.

I do, though, make sure that I get some of those hairs tucked up when I do updos, and I make sure I detangle there carefully. You might have a small damage area but just take care of it and it'll get better with time.