PDA

View Full Version : Hair getting tangled in necklace

BambooBeauty
December 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM
For christmas my boyfriend bought me a beautiful gold necklace. The problem is I've been wearing for a day and a half and it's been pulling out chunks of hair from the back of my neck. It keeps getting cought in my hair and the necklace has hair all around the back in clumps lol. Does this happen to anyone else? My boyfriend said I need to shave the back of my neck...thats NOT happening lol. What should I do to prevent this from happening? I wore my hair up today and it still happened.

SerinaDaith
December 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hair up is a good thing other than that caution is the better part of valor. Wearing shirts with collars are helpful too.

allycat
December 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Certain chains and clasps do that to my hair too. If it's got a pendant, I just switch the chain out for something different that doesn't catch my hair.

JamieLeigh
December 26th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Have you tried coating the offending bit of chain with clear nail polish and letting it dry before putting it on? You can always remove it later if you need to.

Kaelee
December 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
What sort of chain is it? Would your BF be terribly offended if you put the necklace on a different chain?

I have some chains that my hair wraps around and around and gets tangled/ripped out, every. time.

I wear a box chain 24/7 and it NEVER tangles. Italian Box Chain (http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Mondevio-Sterling-Silver-18-inch-Italian-Box-Chain-Necklace/5767224/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword})

I'm not sure what it is about that chain that doesn't tangle vs. the ones that do, but you might try a different chain if you're really having trouble.

fiddlefananb
December 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
What sort of chain is it? Would your BF be terribly offended if you put the necklace on a different chain?

I have some chains that my hair wraps around and around and gets tangled/ripped out, every. time.

I wear a box chain 24/7 and it NEVER tangles. Italian Box Chain (http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Mondevio-Sterling-Silver-18-inch-Italian-Box-Chain-Necklace/5767224/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword})

I'm not sure what it is about that chain that doesn't tangle vs. the ones that do, but you might try a different chain if you're really having trouble.

I agree with the above. I only wear box chains. I wore a serpentine chain years ago for months and months and it pulled out every stitch of hair I had at the back of my neck. Finally stopped wearing it. It looked ridiculous when it started growing back because I had this huge chunk of hair that was short whenever I pulled my hair up.

jacqueline101
December 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I agree its your chair. You will need to change it to solve the issue.

Chromis
December 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I have a variety of chain styles. Some catch hairs and some don't. For the ones that catch, not only do I wear my hair up, but I make sure to only do styles that catch the maximum number of nape hairs too. On the bright side, those wispy nape hairs never get long anyhow, but ow! Still hurts when they get pulled. Some people's neck hairs go lower than others though. We've had a few threads here showing nape pictures for comparison specifically :)

I find styles were the hair is pulled straight up work the best with necklace clasps. I really love the Log Roll, but I'm not sure how long your hair is. French Twists and Peacock Twists might work well too and so do Ficcare Braids.

spidermom
December 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I can wear necklaces only when my hair is up. I guess my nape hairs don't extent very far down my neck.

melusine963
December 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I've always had a snagging problem with necklaces, so I pretty much have to wear my hair in an updo if I know what's good for it. I've never really looked into different kinds of chains, and which ones are less snaggy than others. Now I'm off to follow Kaelee's Italian Box Chain link. :hmm:

Isilme
December 27th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Some kinds of chains just don't work with long hair at all. I have always had problems with the round ones that are a bit stiffer than normal chains. I would switch it to something different if it is a pendant. I don't think it would help at all if you would shave your neck, sorry!

Raging Wolf
January 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
For christmas my boyfriend bought me a beautiful gold necklace. The problem is I've been wearing for a day and a half and it's been pulling out chunks of hair from the back of my neck. It keeps getting cought in my hair and the necklace has hair all around the back in clumps lol. Does this happen to anyone else? My boyfriend said I need to shave the back of my neck...thats NOT happening lol. What should I do to prevent this from happening? I wore my hair up today and it still happened.

I love my box chain necklace, I wear it 24/7 and it never bothers my hair. I can condition, wash and oil my hair and it never once snags on the chain. My suggestion would be to invest in good box chain necklace. They are simple but understated.

Angelica
January 4th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I have this problem as well as I love necklaces. My hair is always worn up and I still have the problem. I just have to be careful with fastening the chain and make sure that all hair is out of the way. I don't wear necklaces every day though.

imaroo
January 4th, 2013, 08:38 AM
On the bright side, those wispy nape hairs never get long anyhow, but ow! Still hurts when they get pulled.

Exactly!! I'm almost as addicted to jewelry as I am to babying my hair, and I have about 60 necklaces. A couple of them pull hairs on the nape of my neck, so I rarely wear them. In fact, I wear them so rarely that I forget why I haven't worn them in so long. And then I do. OW!

Elithia
January 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I wear the same necklace 24/7 with two pendants on it (key that belonged to my grandfather and star) and I've taken to keeping the clasp between the two pendants so it doesn't damage my hair. My mother tells me to make a wish every time she sees it but the double pendants disguise it pretty well. I don't have trouble with the chain catching my hair -- just the clasp.

CS250
November 27th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Soliciting

spidermom
November 27th, 2015, 09:31 AM
These days, I tuck my necklace under my collar.