PDA

View Full Version : Hair Chalking- Has anyone seen/tried this?

italianamama
December 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I came across an article about using art quality pastel (non oil) chalks to temporarily color hair:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/15/image/la-ig-chalk-20120715

It's supposed to wash out easily from anything but the lightest of blonde hair, and the method supposedly works on brunettes as well. I can imagine it'd be drying, but considering its a nonpermenant, no heat method I'm willing to give it a shot!! I've been bitten by the color bug lately, and it's super hard to resist :) I'm reluctant to do anything to my classic length hair, but the last 5 inches are fried (the last of ooooooold dye damage I've been slowly cutting out over the past 5 years!) so I'm willing to take a chance.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this before? Should I go for it?

CaityBear
December 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I've seen it but never tried it. I would assume it would be damaging. Not sure how much. It does kind of tempt me too. lol

Immera
December 26th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I tried it. It was cool at first, the color vibrant, but the chalk powder seemed to dry my hair out. Once you put the chalk on you cant really brush through it or it comes out.
It wasn't for me.

long&blonde
December 26th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I've seen it done beautifully in the magazines. I imagine it would be very drying, but nothing a few days of babying couldn't overcome. Would be interesting to see if it even could be accomplished on non-blonde hair! I'd go for it and post lots of pictures!

sparrowbirdd
December 26th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I tried it. It was cool at first, the color vibrant, but the chalk powder seemed to dry my hair out. Once you put the chalk on you cant really brush through it or it comes out.
It wasn't for me.

Immera's right. It really dries your hair out and you can't brush it. I have a friend with really long hair but she doesn't care what happens to it so she let me try the chalk thing. She's a brunette. I tried blue and green in her hair but it was impossible to brush out. It got all crispy and gross. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

SerinaDaith
December 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM
It worked well on my younger DS but he is sandy blond, my DD will not sit still long enough for me to put anything but her detangle spray and a quick comb out. It does show a little in my hair but not much. There are loads of vids on you tube but if you ignore the anti lch advice like rub the chalk up and down or use heat to set the color you should be fine, I wait till the end of my wash week so my hair is greasy then oil lightly after washing and I still don't have damage, granted I have only done it a few time. You could also try paranda braids, Torrin has a new vid on you tube they work well to add lots of color and don't dry and you tie off the yarn rather then your tassel so it reduces breakage from braiding.

eta: I have a picture on my blog with a small set of parandi in when my hair was closer to chin length as well.

faery_braids
December 27th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Haha, my mum got hair pastels for some of my little cousins, and we got the extras! They worked really well on my brother's hair, didn't seem to make it crispy or gross--granted, I wasn't exactly running my hands through it at all tonight, but yeah...I guess I'll see how it turns out on him if he decides to do it again tomorrow. It being drying makes me sad, though, since I was thinking of trying it on my ends (my ends have been quite dry this winter even with oiling).

Kyaatje
December 27th, 2012, 03:15 AM
If you don't mind messing up the bottom ends because of splits way not try a semi permanent thing ?
That is actually what I did : I had split ends and dreamed of having a dip dye for so long so instead of cutting I just bleached and coloured the ends. They will have to go eventually so why not enjoy them while you can !

Lucky_Lucy
December 27th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Yep my friend did it and it was really pretty.
Also, Kyaatje, I was thinking of doing that too, the kind of ombre thing <3

melusine963
December 27th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I had split ends and dreamed of having a dip dye for so long so instead of cutting I just bleached and coloured the ends. They will have to go eventually so why not enjoy them while you can !

Once I reach my goal length, this is what I might do shortly before I'm due for a trim. You're absolutely right: if the ends are getting chopped off soon anyway, who cares about a little damage to that area?

Kyaatje
December 27th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Once I reach my goal length, this is what I might do shortly before I'm due for a trim. You're absolutely right: if the ends are getting chopped off soon anyway, who cares about a little damage to that area?

Yep my friend did it and it was really pretty.
Also, Kyaatje, I was thinking of doing that too, the kind of ombre thing <3

I don't really have a goal I want to see how for I get :) Makes it easier to do this kind of thing !
I do have a thing going on with fluo pink at the moment a kind of in the ombre style but with a real vibrant colour !
Strangely enough although I had to bleach a couple of times before I coloured my hair isn't more damaged then before. Off course I used lots and lots of coconut oil (love that !)
I know they are split, I saw it before colouring and I see it now, but it isn't that bad actually !

lapushka
December 27th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Here's a cool video on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPPoW5G54Q

lapushka
December 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Here's a cool video on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPPoW5G54Q

Sharysa
December 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM
As someone who uses pastels in their usual manner, I kind of expected the crappy color/hold remarks before I even read the responses.

Why would people want that look INTENTIONALLY? Pastels get everywhere.

Besides, they were made for paper, not hair.

Loveisaverb
December 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Have seen people do it, but complain of them getting dry hair after and it getting all over their clothes and such. As well as darker hair the chalk not showing up as much.
But god it looks so pretty!

Kat
December 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Haha, my mum got hair pastels for some of my little cousins, and we got the extras! They worked really well on my brother's hair, didn't seem to make it crispy or gross--granted, I wasn't exactly running my hands through it at all tonight, but yeah...I guess I'll see how it turns out on him if he decides to do it again tomorrow. It being drying makes me sad, though, since I was thinking of trying it on my ends (my ends have been quite dry this winter even with oiling).

It might be the difference between hair pastels vs. chalk pastels. As well, if you're using good quality pastels, you may not want the pigment on your hair or skin; when i use pastels I wear those "finger cots" that look like just the fingers of rubber gloves, because I saw where it was once advised on an art forum not to have some of the pigments (such as the ultramarines) on your bare skin. The specialized "hair chalk" may not contain so many drying ingredients, since it is actually formulated for hair.