PDA

View Full Version : Hot oil treatments?

Brianna
March 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'm just wondering, those of you who do hot oil treatments, what oils do you prefer to use? Today (for my first try ever) I did a mix of EVOO, sweet almond oil and honey, but I think the honey might as well have been left out...I had a bit of trouble blending it well and it kinda crusted on my hair. :rolleyes:

So any favourite recipes you'd like to share? :) And do you usually condition your hair after you shampoo it out?

Feisty Redhead
March 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I usually just mix some honey and EVOO, carefully work it through my hair then clip my hair up somehow and cover it with a shower cap, then a towel that I warmed up for a few minutes in the dryer. I leave it in for at least an hour, or just however long I can stand to leave it on. I don't typically condition afterward, for my hair it doesn't need any extra conditioning after such treatments.

MeMyselfandI
March 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I usually use EVOO. I use it on my hands when very dry, wet my hands and put on the dry skin.

I used coconut oil on my hands and found that the softness has lasted longer then with EVOO. So I put some coconut oil on my dry hair without heating the oil. I let it melt in my hands.

Do the oils work better when hot?

Should they be applied to dry or wet hair. I would assume wet hair to help with moisture. Yet wet hair seems so much easier to damage.

quidscribis
March 18th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I've done hot virgin coconut oil on damp hair - I've found that, for me, that gives me the best results.

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Sometimes my bottle of dabur vatika coconut oil can be solid, especially when i first bring it back from the shop. So a couple of weeks ago i put it on the radiator to melt to use it (normally it's liquid because my flat's warm but it's not hot) when i put some in my hand it was really really warm and as i put it on my hair it did seem to be going on better and sort of melting in. (might have been my imagination) I did notice my hair seemed softer than it usually does when i use it.
I know when i was working in salons heat was used to enhance deep treatments and it did seem more effective than when used at normal room temperatures.

Carolyn
March 18th, 2008, 07:48 AM
As I write this, I have EVOO on my head, covered in a conditioning cao, Turbie and am using my heat cap. Plain old olive oil is good for so many things :thumbsup:

ohjezebel
March 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I usually do about a 2:1 ratio of oil to honey in my hot conditioning treatments. For the oils I use a mix - mostly EVOO and unrefined coconut oil, but with a few dashes of shea butter, jojoba oil, and castor oil thrown in for good measure. I'll also use rosemary and lavender EOs for scent and helpful properties. If I'm really ambitious, I'll put straight castor oil onto my scalp, then apply the rest of the hot treatment over that to all of my hair. But the castor oil can be difficult to wash out.

CaityBear
March 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've only used EVOO for oiling so far. I'm looking into different ones.

I've done a hot oil treatment once, obviously with EVOO.

BlueRose4217
March 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM
One part shea butter, one part coconut oil and one part jojoba oil with lavender and rosemary EO - my absolute favorite deep condish treatment! I leave it on for a day, then wash out. :)

happylynngilmer
March 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I've used plain jojoba before with good results, but my favorite would be EVOO. My length doesn't like it, but my scalp LOVES EVOO.
I use a hot oil treatment from Manor Hall- I have used it both from the bottle, and warmed and although it doesn't affect performance, I do love my scalp feeling nice and warm in a towel LOL
It has a mix of EO's in it too, so when it's warm I can really feel the peppermint.

Ohio Sky
March 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
My hair loves EVOO and jojoba for a hot oil treatment, but I have to use harsh shampoo to get it all out so I dont do heavy treatments often.
Ive been using the GR hot oil, though, and its amazing. I love all their hair products, and it smells so dreamy :o

addikted
March 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I usually use a mixture of whatever oils I happen to have on hand, but I always have EVOO, jojoba and coconut.

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
one i do is coconut oil, sweet almond oil, a tablespoon of castor oil, mixed with honey and some rosemary essential oil heat up (not the honey or coconut oil mix these in after with EO) shampoo hair, squeeze excess water out and apply mixture, leave overnight or longer and rinse off!

My hair feels so soft after doing this!

pola
March 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Oh, I've never tried this! I only got coconut oil, i haven't been able to find any other kind of oils here in Chile, but I think i'll try it anyway with just coconut.

Question: how do you all warm your oil? In the microwave?

quidscribis
March 23rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Coconut as a hot oil treatment has worked great for me. :) Yeah, microwave tends to be the easiest.

boukje
March 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hello fellow LHC'ers,

does anyone ever do a hot (olive) oil treatment here?

If so, what is your recipe and how long do you keep it on your hair?

Also how often do you use this method as a deep conditioning treatment.

I am now trying a hot oil treatment with rosemary EO in it.

What did I do? I put some oil (about 1 cup) with a few drops of rosemary EO and nuked it in the microwave for about 1 minute.

I poured it over my hair and completely soaked the scalp (massasing the oil into the scalp) then I put the length in the oil and let it get soaked up. (I used it all :wacko:)

I put a plastic bag over it and then a towel. I am going to let it soak the entire night (it is now 10PM) and rinse in the morning.

I hope it works (never tried it, but I am a bit scared it is difficult to wash out.).

Please let me know what your routine is.

Lots of hugs from helen.

Flaxen
March 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Merging the two current threads. :flower:

boukje
March 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Merging the two current threads. :flower:

thanks flaxen,

For some strange reason I completely overlooked this topic:o

boukje
March 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
what is the difference between olive oil and EVOO (in an treatment) (I only know what the difference is in food :wink:).

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM
my hair despises EVOO so i use camellia... oh how i love my camellia oil! i only need a couple of teaspoons because camellia spreads so nicely

Tapioca
March 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've been doing coconut oil on damp hair, but it never occurred to me to heat it up (duh!)

I'll have to try that this weekend.

And I usually just do a CO to wash it out.