PDA

View Full Version : Hard water or wrong condish??

Chanie
December 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Sometimes i have problems with my ends sticking together like velcro. I had that today and was actually trimmed christmas eve (24) so its not that i need trimming. I have read about hard water in here beeing a problem i live in a area with quite hard water, and i never really cared about this until i read about it in here the other day, but then i checked, and it is rather hard around here! Then i read in another thread that theese wierd behaving ends could be from a wrong conditioner. So what is causing my ends to freak out??? What do you think?

Sillage
December 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM
It could be the hard water... have you ever tried a chelating shampoo (sometimes sold as swimmer's shampoo)?

Chanie
December 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I sometimes use kevin murphys maxi wash which is meant for detoxing/clarifying/chelating , maybe i should give it a go tonight to see if it helps...

Sillage
December 26th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Yes, I'd give it a whirl and see if it makes your ends feel any better. Then if it does work you may want to see about getting just a plain chelating shampoo. I don't know if they have a Sally's in Denmark, but Ion makes a chelating shampoo (I think it's called Ion Swimmer's Shampoo) that's very mild and sulphate free. That way you can do chelating with out having to clarify too.

Chanie
December 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Oh thank you sweety, chelating would be a milder way to get rid of it? Ive been wondering what the difference is between chelating and clarifying :) we dont have a sallys but i usually buy stuff online anyway, and ive already thought about buying the joico chelating shampoo.

Sillage
December 26th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Chelating shampoos are designed to remove minerals and they may or may not be clarifying. So it is possible to get a mild shampoo with chelating agents (EDTA) in it. Clarifying shampoos are deep cleaning and don't have any conditioning agents-- they really strip everything off!

I can't seem to find a complete ingredients list for the the Joico Chelating Shampoo but it gets good reviews on MUA-- so I say go for it my friend! :)

rock007junkie
December 26th, 2012, 12:23 PM
You could also try an ACV rinse.

Chanie
December 26th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Ive been wondering about that aswell, although ive read in here that it wont take the calcium or whatever from the hard water :) ?

PinkyCat
December 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
This happens to me when I have protein overload. What products are you using regularly? Do they have large ammount of protein?

Chanie
December 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
This happens to me when I have protein overload. What products are you using regularly? Do they have large ammount of protein?

Yeah i use k pak reconstructor at the moment but my hair has been super stretchy amd was really in need of this, so i dont think it is because of that :)

ravenreed
December 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
For my hair, velcro ends are definitely a problem when I use protein laden products. I would suggest ACV rinses to start with, because that is the easiest thing to test out. If that doesn't help, switch to a protein free routine and see how that works for you. Unless you are chemically or heat processing your hair a lot, it probably shouldn't need constant protein. Are you sure that what you are experiencing isn't normal stretch? All healthy hair stretches a bit before breaking.

Yeah i use k pak reconstructor at the moment but my hair has been super stretchy amd was really in need of this, so i dont think it is because of that :)

Chanie
December 26th, 2012, 03:50 PM
For my hair, velcro ends are definitely a problem when I use protein laden products. I would suggest ACV rinses to start with, because that is the easiest thing to test out. If that doesn't help, switch to a protein free routine and see how that works for you. Unless you are chemically or heat processing your hair a lot, it probably shouldn't need constant protein. Are you sure that what you are experiencing isn't normal stretch? All healthy hair stretches a bit before breaking. yeah im definately sure, all my hair was stretching like a maniac and i was really scared, then i did the kpak a couple of times, and it is a lot better by now, still a little stretchy but not crazy amounts. Anyway, it could be that my hair need a little break from the protein on the next washes, but im not sure yet. I clarifyed today and followed with a kpak treatment again, and in the morning i will know if it is the protein or just the hard water. Im exited to see actually :) at the moment (while drying ) my hair and ends feels soft and shiny.

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I'd try an experiment using bottle water to see if its hard water if the problem goes away its the water. If the problem stays the same its the conditioner. I did that once when I thought I had the wrong conditioner. I had hard water.

Chanie
December 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
This is interesting, its is not the protein there is doing me bad, today my hair is silky soft and amazing after clarifying + kpak treatment and conditioner. No velcro :) So i guess it might be the water ?

Wildcat Diva
December 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
You could try citric acid rinses to address this problem with your water. You could find the threads here on CA and read up on it to see if it's for you.

Sillage
December 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
today my hair is silky soft and amazing after clarifying + kpak treatment and conditioner. No velcro :) So i guess it might be the water ?

YAY! I'm glad your hair is doing so much better :)

And you're right, it's probably the water :/ At least now you have a solution against it!

gracenotes
December 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I second the citric acid rinses suggestion. A little ACV or lemon juice in your final rinse will do wonders if you've got hard water!