PDA

View Full Version : Twice a year trim club

jojo
December 26th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Well. I know theres a no trim for a year club and a none trim club but for my hair which is 2a/b F/M ( recently started getting more medium strands) iii hair i cannot go a full year or completely without trims, my hair type is wrong for this plan. I was going to have trims every 3 months and was due a trim in January but when evaluating my hemline it is still pretty neat and split ends are minimum. This got me thinking maybe i can go 6 monthly.
my plan is to trim next in April( if my hair still looks good on the ends, i shall try for longer) . I shall still s&d but holding the big trims until at least April.

Anybody care to join me?

My hair is at present 31" and approaching hip again, hoping to get a solid hip by this time next year!

redsiren
December 26th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I would like to join you:)
My hair is to damaged still, once a year is spreading it a little to thin.
I'm planning on a trim this month and then not till july.
Nice thread idea:applause

jojo
December 26th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Oh good welcome to the LHC too! I think its a pretty good plan, April 25 th is my next trim i hope to be 32.5" by then. Good luck, lots of deep conditionings and the odd protein treatment will sort your hair out.

Libbylou
December 26th, 2012, 04:41 AM
No sure if I will join or not. I did the no trims 2012 challenge and was very successful. I have not had my length trimmed since 09-2011. I am going to get a trim in 01-2013. I have layer hair and really want them to go away but, as my hair is only 23 inches I want to keep as much length as possible. I do have some "racer" ends that need to be cleaned up. I'll see how the first trim of the new year gos and then I might be back.

DinaAG
December 26th, 2012, 04:43 AM
yes consider me in thats the plan that fits my hair the most so far: 1 cm every 6 months

jojo
December 26th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Glad to see im not alone, welcome aboard!

Artisticat
December 26th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Me too! Did the No Trims 2012 (itching to trim on January 1st), but I think trimming every 6 months can work for me.
Thanks for starting this thread! :cheese:

lapushka
December 26th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Well. I know theres a no trim for a year club and a none trim club but for my hair which is 2a/b F/M ( recently started getting more medium strands) iii hair i cannot go a full year or completely without trims, my hair type is wrong for this plan. I was going to have trims every 3 months and was due a trim in January but when evaluating my hemline it is still pretty neat and split ends are minimum. This got me thinking maybe i can go 6 monthly.

I'm a 2aFiii, so close to your hair type and I've been going without a trim since September 2011, so it's definitely not the hairtype, I don't think. :shrug:

Macaroni
December 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I'm in. Maintaining at waist length is the best for me, two trims a year seems to work.
I tried letting it grow longer but it was just annoyingly long and in my way :).

redsiren
December 26th, 2012, 02:49 PM
What do you reccomend in terms of protein treatments?

Maverick494
December 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM
If my no-trims-for-2013 goal doesn't work (as in I become so depressed with the state of my hemline/ends that I give in and get a trim) I'll join this club. Previously, I've always trimmed my hair every 3/4 months and while it has done wonders for maintaining a blunt hemline, it makes progress agonizingly slow. I've been stuck at waist for ages now and I really want to move on to hip. That said, I'm a tall gal (5'10") so I know hair length goals tend to take longer for me to reach than petite folk.

gossamer
December 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I usually trim about twice a year. If memory serves, I trimmed in March and August this past year. My ends probably look better if I trim 3 times a year, but I'm still going for growth, not maintenance yet.

ceruleanlove
December 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Count me in! I'm hoping to hold out until May for the next cut...by the time my hair gets rough, I should be able to put it in (what will undoubtedly be) the world's stubbiest ponytail.

maborosi
December 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Hm, I might actually think about this. My hair is in really good shape these days and I think I can go longer without trimming.

I'm hoping to be able to hold off on trimming until April, and I think my hair should be fine provided I don't do anything mean to it. (Don't plan to!)

~maborosi~

Wahinee
December 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I trim my hair twice a year - when we change the clocks in the spring and fall. My last trim was in november and my next will be in march (?).

Works well for me.

sarelis
December 27th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I'm in! I started trimming my own hair last June, and decided that I would do it in 6 monthly intervals. It's working well for me, I did my last trim at the beginning of December and even though I only take off less than an inch at a time it really makes a difference to the way my hair looks & feels :)

alyaziaaah
December 27th, 2012, 03:25 AM
i am in as well! i have 2bc3alol MC ii hair thats still damaged on the outer layers. i have a slight U shape.
my goal this year is to get long layers, change to a deep U shape, and still take one inch of the length as i
have a lot of new hair on my neckline which is one inch shorter than my old hair.
so, this january i will cut layers but wont trim the length at all as my hair is still pretty short, i cut 3 inches off
before 2 months to remove rebonded taper and damage.
then after 6 minths i will change my hemline into a deep U! i am so exited!
my end goal is deep U or V shaped curly fairytale ends tailbone or longer maybe?
so after this coming year i hope i can join the "once a year trimming club" or even
the "no trimming club"! yippie yeyyyy:cheese:

Allychan
December 27th, 2012, 03:35 AM
This club suits me too. I have 4in of damage still to cut, I just left the microtrim club because I want some growth, I plan to trim again in July 2013.
Resisting the urge 'til then :tmi:

skyblue
December 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I'm in! I was going to try the no trims for 2013 but like you, my hair won't stand for it, but I did want to see if it would hold up for six months, I was very glad to see your post tittle!!! I trimmed an inch on winter solstice so...fingers crossed! Next trim will be summer solstice. I am at 41 and a half inches right now
good luck to everyone!

ellen732
December 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I'm in. I haven't trimmed since the end of November and I am hoping not to trim again until the Summer Solstice at the end of June. I am at waist and hoping to allow it to grow to hip, I usually always cut it back to waist before it gets there though.

jojo
December 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm a 2aFiii, so close to your hair type and I've been going without a trim since September 2011, so it's definitely not the hairtype, I don't think. :shrug:

Thats encouraging, i may try again. My hair is very fine and when ive tried in the past (apart from when my hair was short when i managed 2 years without trims) my hair, especially the hemline thins, though i have also had thyroid issues to deal with so maybe this is why? I will certainly try again to trim as little as often, theoretically it should be possible as my hair has no damage whatsoever. Thanks for the encouragement :)

jojo
December 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
What do you reccomend in terms of protein treatments?
Ive used aPhogee in the past but my favorite protein treatment is gelatine, just mix a tablespoon in some boiled water and allow to cool, shampoo hair and then pour the mixture ( warm) on hair , leave for 30 minutes and rinse, follow with a moiturising conditioner, makes my hair lovely and soft and i notice less splits when i do this.

lapushka
December 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Thats encouraging, i may try again. My hair is very fine and when ive tried in the past (apart from when my hair was short when i managed 2 years without trims) my hair, especially the hemline thins, though i have also had thyroid issues to deal with so maybe this is why? I will certainly try again to trim as little as often, theoretically it should be possible as my hair has no damage whatsoever. Thanks for the encouragement :)

You're welcome! Trimming twice a year is no shame; it's just fine. I may start doing that to maintain at classic, but right now I'm still halfway to TBL, so a ways to go! My ends are thinning out as well, just a bit, but they're still okay enough (well, I think) not to trim.

Vanilla
December 27th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I trim twice a year generally speaking. I had my last trim in February; I'm going to have a trim this weekend.

Vampyria
December 28th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I actually joined without trims for 2013 thread, but I still planned to dust/micro trim twice a year, so this might be a better option for me. I've been stuck above APL for almost a year (micro trimming thin ends). I hope I will be able to control myself, since I'm totally obsessed with having thick ends. I really want to get to waist already.

My last trim was a week or two ago, and I'm planning the next one for April or May. I also hope to get the shedding under control, so my ends will stop thinning.

biogirl87
January 2nd, 2013, 11:33 PM
As much as I'd like to go longer before trimming, my ends get really ratty if I don't trim twice a year. So I joining this thread as it looks like my hair likes being trimmed every six months.

LakeofGlass
January 3rd, 2013, 01:05 AM
Personally I've noticed that if I go too long without a trim (maybe 4+ months) my tips start to taper. I think this is from general activity, even if I tend to wear my hair in a bun often. I'm very strict with my hair, carefully combing from the bottom - up, I air dry, never use crazy hair products... yet the tapering still occurs. What's worked for me is doing very minor trimming every 3-4 months, not going over 1/2 inch. Since my goal is just to keep off split ends, I don't mind waiting a little longer if the end result is my goal.

I'd love to only trim my hair twice a year, but I'm also trying to grow out layers. I've considered keeping them, but I can't do any of the fun buns and braids that I used to. But I guess a change up and experiment is what lets us know what we really desire.

bunzfan
January 3rd, 2013, 01:57 AM
This is the place for me, when i joined i trimmed twice a year gained length and my ends still looked nice. Then i spent last year trimming 1 inch a month :eek:. So the plan is after my tiny tiny trim next week ( i plan on getting 1cm trimmed) i dont want to trim until at least June-July.

jojo
January 3rd, 2013, 02:25 AM
An inch a month? That would have took me to shoulder! Welcome bunzfan!
I probably took approx 4" off in all and gained only an inch roughly. Hoping to get a full 6" this year and trim an inch of that off which will bring me to a full tb but id be happy with bc length. My hair growth depends on my health, so far so good hope it keeps up!

My ends are looking pretty good, going to do an s&d this weekend which i hate doing but its needed and ive gone back to soapnuts which are really good for my hair, still plan to do a Dc once a month and will do a protein treatment when needed!

QMacrocarpa
January 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
I'm a twice-a-year self-trimmer because I'm split- and breakage-prone, and I don't s&d. If I go too long without a trim I get instant tangles, like the freshly-detangled right side retangles while I work on the left side, and eventually I start seeing lots of tiny broken ends when I detangle. I set up my online calendar to send me two trim reminders a year, so I won't forget.

Angelica
January 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
On average I think I do manage to do six monthly trims. However, although I was impressed with the length my hair had grown, almost waist length, the ends looked so ratty and were so dry that I did a self trim and I ended up cutting more off than I wanted. I took about three inches off. I am pleased with the blunt cut now, and am wondering whether I should just give up on trying to grow it longer, because I think it is near terminal and just doesn't stay nice at the ends longer. So this year I shall try trimming every six months and attempting to take less off - this will be my goal for 2013.

jojo
January 9th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Well i am coming up to 3 months since my last trim which was last October, normally by this stage my ends would thinning, however no signs of thinning as yet. I have been keeping my hair up all the time and have started doing catnip soaks to try and help prevent splits. I did a major s&d and found some baby splits just on the ends, but no white dots so far so good.
I know 3 months isnt a long time for some but normally id be trimming at this stage. Hopefully i can keep positive and continue to resist trimming until April , still hoping for a miracle that allows me to go even longer without trims, a full year would be wonderful.
In the past ive always wanted a full blunt hemline, now i am not too bothered if ( and it will ) fairytale, my hair is up all the time anyway and i can sort the ends out when im nearer to my goal of classic.
Hope everybody is ok we can all do this!

alyaziaaah
January 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Angelica I am sure you can do something about your ends to prevent them of as you said getting ratty.
Maybe change your routine?
Maybe co wash, or coconut oiling etc?
Or use a serum? Deep treatments?
It's a shame if that holds you back from growing it longer.
I have damaged ends but I really want longer hair so at the
Moment I am looking into a newly found treatment called
Fiberceutic from l' oreal. They also call it hairbotox.
I heard it coats the hair and fills the cracks and protects it
Without damage from ironing like Brazilian blowout etc.
It doesn't change the hairstructure.
So I am thinking of trying this out and once I have I will
Definitely write about it here.

alyaziaaah
January 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Jojo I absolutely loooove fairytale ends. I think they are the perfect style for classic.

ChelleyCredible
January 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I trim every 6 months already. I prefer it that way. I've been doing it for years.

jojo
January 9th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Jojo I absolutely loooove fairytale ends. I think they are the perfect style for classic.
Me too there very pretty on classic, my hairs quite wavy too so any uneven hemline isn't so noticeable either.

I trim every 6 months already. I prefer it that way. I've been doing it for years.
It does seem the perfect timing to me in the time between trims, glad its working for you.