PDA

View Full Version : 150 Uses for Coconut Oil

Ravenwind
December 25th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I stumbled upon this article while searching to see if coconut oil can relieve my nose from hurting because of this cold. Low and behold, I found out several more ways coconut oil can be used! I thought I'd share this with you all, because not only is it amazing for you hair, it's amazing for your health too! I love coconut oil! :)

http://www.organicbuenosaires.com/2012/08/11/150-uses-for-coconut-oil/

Allychan
December 26th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I love coconut oil for my hair and as a skin moisturiser, I also use it in my food because it is great for weightloss. Especially on day old chicken, you drizzle a little on it then nuke it in the microwave and it makes the chicken moist and yummy not dry and hard to chew!

MORE
December 26th, 2012, 02:26 AM
NICE!

I researched it myself a while ago, but this list was fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing!

DarkCurls
December 26th, 2012, 02:30 AM
More than a little skeptical about the entire "Health Problems" section. Autism, really? Alzheimer's, HIV? ...
But the "Personal Hygiene" part is very interesting.

EDIT: I already love coconut oil. Have some in my hair right now. :p

DancingQueen
December 26th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I love coconut oil, I soak my hair for two hours before I shower, use a bit on dry hair after combing (to reduce frizz), and it literally saved my very dry legs, I use it every night. Seems I will be needing more of it soon. :p

Ravenwind
December 26th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I love coconut oil for my hair and as a skin moisturiser, I also use it in my food because it is great for weightloss. Especially on day old chicken, you drizzle a little on it then nuke it in the microwave and it makes the chicken moist and yummy not dry and hard to chew!

My mom uses it for cooking all the time. I can't really tell a difference but I know it's making a difference :)

NICE!

I researched it myself a while ago, but this list was fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing!

You're welcome! :)

More than a little skeptical about the entire "Health Problems" section. Autism, really? Alzheimer's, HIV? ...
But the "Personal Hygiene" part is very interesting.

EDIT: I already love coconut oil. Have some in my hair right now. :p

I agree... I'm not sure what coconut oil does for some health problems. Maybe there's some type of chemical reactions? Who knows.
I think I'll be doing a deep treatment today :)

I love coconut oil, I soak my hair for two hours before I shower, use a bit on dry hair after combing (to reduce frizz), and it literally saved my very dry legs, I use it every night. Seems I will be needing more of it soon. :p

I also let my hair soak it in for a while, either overnight or a little while before a shower, and I also put it in my hair after I towel dry. Just for experiment I started blowdrying my hair with coconut oil on it and wow... my hair stays so smooth and silky and not one frizz is there and my hair doesn't get poofy either. I love it :) I'd like to use it on my skin too but I'm not sure if it's too oily for me or not. Glad it works great for you!

adityasiera
December 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I use Coconut oil hand made by our plantation workers.
It really works, one of natures finest gift to humans.. I let my hair soak in it every friday and DH gives me a nice massage. I love it aroma too.

Ravenwind
December 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I use Coconut oil hand made by our plantation workers.
It really works, one of natures finest gift to humans.. I let my hair soak in it every friday and DH gives me a nice massage. I love it aroma too.

I'd like to make coconut oil handmade but we don't have any coconuts where I live lol, unless a store sells them. I agree it is a great gift to humans (especially us hair lovers) :)
That's nice that he does that for you, I'm sure it does smell great.

furnival
December 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM

This. So coconut oil cures scurvy, does it? How does it do that then, as it contains no vitamin c? http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

The Alzheimer's Society has this to say on the matter of C.O. being used to treat the disease:
"Currently, there is no research to support or refute the theory that coconut oil can prevent or treat dementia."
http://www.alzheimer.ca/en/on/About-dementia/Alzheimer-s-disease/What-is-Alzheimer-s-disease/Common-Questions/Coconut-oil

So basically, Alzheimer's has been added to the list because there is an untested theory that C.O. might help it, and scurvy as an outright fallacy. I'm sure there are others in the list but you get the picture! :p

There are so many pages like '150 uses for coconut oil' on the net, touting the miracle cure-all properties of various substances with no scientific backing.

I think this is fine for cosmetic properties, but I think it's important to view these kind of medical claims with a pinch of salt. There is a depressing amount of misinformation about.

Don't get me wrong, though- I'm sure coconut oil DOES have a lot of benefits, cosmetically and health-wise. I love the stuff. :)

adityasiera
December 26th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'd like to make coconut oil handmade but we don't have any coconuts where I live lol, unless a store sells them. I agree it is a great gift to humans (especially us hair lovers) :)
That's nice that he does that for you, I'm sure it does smell great.
You bet, the hand made one definitely has a much richer aroma as compared to the ones available in stores. Its also slightly darker in color. I am grateful to these guys for my yearly supply of hair-oil.

spidermom
December 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Unless you happen to be allergic to it, like my daughter.

Sillage
December 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Coconut oil breaks me out big time. A real shame for me because it's a fantastic leave-in. Nothing made my hair so pliant, shiny, and well behaved. :(

I can use it as a pre shampoo treatment tho-- it works really well for that.

PolarCathy
December 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
What a nice new signature!

Unless you happen to be allergic to it, like my daughter.

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I thought the diseases part was interesting. I do love what it does for my hair.

Unicorn
December 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Regarding the health properties, Coconut oil is anti fungal. Our western diets are highly supportive of fungal (candida) overgrowth in our gut, which overwhelms the positive bacteria. This can cause a whole series of health problems, including immune problems. As you can imagine, once the immune system is lowered even moderately a whole list of other problems can come into play, depending on ones particular environment, habits and pre-existing predispositions.

There are also various schools of thought (and treatment protocols) indicating that fungal overgrowth in the body causes various issues, including neurological issues and brain functioning problems. Therefore issues like autism and Alzheimer's have been said to respond well to anti fungal measures including ingesting coconut oil. These treatments are usually wholistic, with something like coconut oil being part of the overall lifestyle changes made rather than an isolated 'remedy' for a particular issue.

Unicorn

alyaziaaah
December 26th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Coconut oil is the best. Read " the coconut oil miracle"
Everything is scientifically explained. Its really s miracle food.
Btw I feed my cat 3ml per day

Ravenwind
December 26th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Coconut oil is the best. Read " the coconut oil miracle"
Everything is scientifically explained. Its really s miracle food.
Btw I feed my cat 3ml per day

I agree :) it is great for animals too

NoRush
December 27th, 2012, 07:55 AM
sold! :p I've been thinking of getting some for a while but it's so hard to get here!! I've just been procrastinating the online search. After reading that article I think it's time to spend a few hours finding a proper seller :)

PixxieStix
December 27th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Many of the claims on that list have me a little skeptical as well, and I feel a few of them are repetitive, but overall it does go to show just how many uses there can be for something, and I love coconut oil! I need to start eating it again, my "ice cream jar" of it got stashed to the back of the fridge during a cleaning and I keep forgetting it's there. My hair and skin love it.

akilina
December 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Well, aside from many disagreeing, I really enjoyed the list although there were repeats and some seem far fetched.
Still, good to know :) I learned a few new things from it.

Ravenwind
December 28th, 2012, 11:19 PM
sold! :p I've been thinking of getting some for a while but it's so hard to get here!! I've just been procrastinating the online search. After reading that article I think it's time to spend a few hours finding a proper seller :)

Yay! Haha. I'm not sure where you live but here we have grocery stores that sell coconut oil in the baking section with other oils. Maybe you have a health food store nearby that might carry it also? Or buying online works too :)

Many of the claims on that list have me a little skeptical as well, and I feel a few of them are repetitive, but overall it does go to show just how many uses there can be for something, and I love coconut oil! I need to start eating it again, my "ice cream jar" of it got stashed to the back of the fridge during a cleaning and I keep forgetting it's there. My hair and skin love it.

Yeah some of the claims I wonder are really true, but it's overall a great oil to use for many things :) I think it mostly works for beauty/health.

Well, aside from many disagreeing, I really enjoyed the list although there were repeats and some seem far fetched.
Still, good to know :) I learned a few new things from it.

Me too :)

Ravenwind
December 28th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Regarding the health properties, Coconut oil is anti fungal. Our western diets are highly supportive of fungal (candida) overgrowth in our gut, which overwhelms the positive bacteria. This can cause a whole series of health problems, including immune problems. As you can imagine, once the immune system is lowered even moderately a whole list of other problems can come into play, depending on ones particular environment, habits and pre-existing predispositions.

There are also various schools of thought (and treatment protocols) indicating that fungal overgrowth in the body causes various issues, including neurological issues and brain functioning problems. Therefore issues like autism and Alzheimer's have been said to respond well to anti fungal measures including ingesting coconut oil. These treatments are usually wholistic, with something like coconut oil being part of the overall lifestyle changes made rather than an isolated 'remedy' for a particular issue.

Unicorn

Very interesting. Thanks for explaining :)

RAddict
January 9th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Sorry to bump this but i have a question related to coconut oil.

How long does it take to dry? I put on my scalp hair but after 3 hours, it seems like it didn't dry a bit. Is it normal?

Thanks.

RAddict
January 9th, 2014, 02:34 PM
*scalp and hair

breezefaerie
January 9th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Sorry to bump this but i have a question related to coconut oil.

How long does it take to dry? I put on my scalp hair but after 3 hours, it seems like it didn't dry a bit. Is it normal?

Thanks.

You mean it didn't soak in?
I never oil my scalp unless it's for a deep treatment and I plan on washing it out.
Only lightly oil the end and see if that works better for you.

If you added your hair type and care routine, that would help as well.

RAddict
January 9th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Well. I've just started to do it today.

Coconut oil and few drops of Tea Tree Oil?

Maybe i put too much?

swearnsue
January 9th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Coconut oil doesn't dry like water will. My hair is fine and thin so if I use any more than a tiny bit (size of a grain of rice) my hair will get oily and wet looking until I wash it out.

RAddict
January 10th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Thank you!

sarahthegemini
January 10th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Coconut oil helps those that suffer from Cystic Fibrosis? If only it were that simple ... What a load of rubbish. Ugh.

spidermom
January 10th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I used coconut oil recently to soothe the pain of a bad tooth. I don't know how it worked, but it did.

faellen
January 10th, 2014, 01:19 PM
This. So coconut oil cures scurvy, does it? How does it do that then, as it contains no vitamin c? http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

The Alzheimer's Society has this to say on the matter of C.O. being used to treat the disease:
"Currently, there is no research to support or refute the theory that coconut oil can prevent or treat dementia."
http://www.alzheimer.ca/en/on/About-dementia/Alzheimer-s-disease/What-is-Alzheimer-s-disease/Common-Questions/Coconut-oil

So basically, Alzheimer's has been added to the list because there is an untested theory that C.O. might help it, and scurvy as an outright fallacy. I'm sure there are others in the list but you get the picture! :p

There are so many pages like '150 uses for coconut oil' on the net, touting the miracle cure-all properties of various substances with no scientific backing.

I think this is fine for cosmetic properties, but I think it's important to view these kind of medical claims with a pinch of salt. There is a depressing amount of misinformation about.

Don't get me wrong, though- I'm sure coconut oil DOES have a lot of benefits, cosmetically and health-wise. I love the stuff. :)

Agree with everything you've said. There's one hell of a lot of pseudoscience circulating the web about coconut oil lately, and there's tons of it on that site!
Don't get me wrong, I use coconut oil for my hair, it's great stuff. But some of the claims... E.g. "Use coconut oil regularly to help prevent migraines" - O RLY? Use it how? Rub it on my forehead? :rolleyes:

Edit: Just realised this thread is a couple of weeks old, lol.