PDA

View Full Version : Just my imagination?

W2
December 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Yesterday I put a little aloe vera in my hair. I was going to make a crown braid, and wanted to get some hold on the fly aways.
It worked quite well.
Today I put a little in before I braided it in an english braid. Put a little extra on the tassel.

The past week or so, I had noticed, that the last inch or so was looking very dry. When braided, the tassel was very poofy.
That's why I added extra av to the tassel.

It was so bad, that I considered a tiny trim one off the next few days.

But after my av adding, the tassel is soft and neet. So is the rest off the hair.

Is it a coincident? Will it last after a hair wash? Can I put av in as much as I want?

rock007junkie
December 25th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Aloe vera gel is a wonderful moisturizer. Glad is working for you. As long as it is an all natural gel (without alcohol like the one used for sunburn) it's fine to use it as much as you want. I use the fruit of the earth all the time...even as a face moisturizer.

melusine963
December 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Aloe vera is not a moisturiser, but a humectant, meaning that it will draw in moisture from its surroundings. If your hair was dry, but the air/environment around it damp, the gel will have taken moisture out of the air and into your hair. This is why it's a bad idea to use AVG as a styling product if you live somewhere very dry (the moisture will transfer out of your hair and into the environment). I've never tried using AVG myself, so hopefully someone will have better insight.

DinaAG
December 25th, 2012, 11:42 AM
sometimes i mix it to my oil mix of coconut oil and evoo i like its effect, no harm and i put it on my scalp too when massaging it beside other stuff

ravenreed
December 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yep, I can't use it it all without severely damaging my hair. Yay for dry desert air! It is also good to be cautious with humectants when the heater is running during the winter as that can dry out the air indoors too.

Aloe vera is not a moisturiser, but a humectant, meaning that it will draw in moisture from its surroundings. If your hair was dry, but the air/environment around it damp, the gel will have taken moisture out of the air and into your hair. This is why it's a bad idea to use AVG as a styling product if you live somewhere very dry (the moisture will transfer out of your hair and into the environment). I've never tried using AVG myself, so hopefully someone will have better insight.

jacqueline101
December 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I've never tried it but it sounds good.

jel
December 25th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Great that it works for you! It didn't for me, not as a leave-in. It's fine in SMTs, though...

torrilin
December 25th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Yep, I'm better off using a regular curl friendly hair gel since my hair is pretty dry naturally, and WI's idea of humid isn't humid enough for AVG's humectant effect to do nice things for my hair. In a wetter climate, I could get by with just AVG tho.

WaitingSoLong
December 25th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Works to moisturize my hair even during winter when it is dry out.

rtree721
December 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I use it almost every day to tame my flyaways. I think it works great.

CurlyMopTop
December 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I thought Aloe Vera was a moisturizer and glycerin was a humectant. I use Fruit of the Earth in the summer and winter but careful with it because of the glycerin which is used as a preservative.

WaitingSoLong
December 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
They are both humectants. I use both, also.

GRU
December 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM
My hair loves AVG as well... never heard of it causing problems?

catamonica
December 30th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I put Aloe Vera gel in my conditioner. It makes my hair soft. Also on dry ends. It makes the ends soft. And it's great for your face. Helps wrinkles.