PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried flexi rods to curl their hair? :)

lole18
December 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I keep trying to use them but they get messy and never hold! i bend the sides but its still really loose what can i do to make it hold till it's dry? :) also is this damaging? to do it 5 times a week while hair's wet till it dries?

spidermom
December 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
It's not damaging unless you brush through the curls.

I tried these, but they didn't work for me. I threw them away.

jacqueline101
December 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I couldn't get them to work in my hair so I gave them away. I don't think they're meant to give you a tight curl.

TheHowlingWolf
December 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I actually ordered some online and I'm waiting for them to arrive! I'm anxious to try them out!

Achlys
December 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I can get mine hold pretty well. I use around 12 for my head and I have thin+fine hair, midback length. I usually place the flexi rod at the middle of the length of the hair section, coil the bottom half around it with my hand and then roll it up to scalp, making sure the ends are around the rod and covered with hair. Then I bend one half of the flexi rod around the base of the hair section as tightly as I can and then bend the other half around it, also close to the scalp. When I have done all my hair, I cover my head with a hair net.

silkreel
December 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have! It works beautifully, and I have super thick AND coarse naturally straight hair somewhere between BSL and WL.

Some tips:
- do it only AFTER it's dried to touch POST SHOWER (so it shouldn't feel wet anymore, for me that's approximately 3 hours after I shower air drying or after 10 minutes blowdrying (side note: I have extremely quick drying hair). This seems coutnerintuitive but there is JUST enough moisture in the hair to dry nicely in the flexi-rollers overnight.
- Work some mousse in before you roll
- You should wind the hair so that it's super tight - so tight, you should be able to hold the flexi roller at the ends (without touching the hair) and keep it taut just by winding.
- Continue til you get to the scalp, using your thumb and fore finger to evenly distribute hair across the roll (otherwise it will wind unevenly, thicker at the center).
- Once you get to the scalp, fold the sides in so it closes like a donut, in the direction AWAY from the was you were rolling. You'll know it's the wrong way because if you let go, it will unroll. Then try it the other way. If that doesn't work, trying winding it another rotation or two first. Then try again.
- Once all of your hair is done, I like to do just a quick run with my hair dryer at each roller ball/bun of hair -- I don't worry about too much damage because it's the middle of the hair, not the ends that are exposed. It just helps to set the hair a bit better.
- Go to sleep.
- Wake up, unravel slowly so it doesn't tangle. If you find it tangles despite your best intentions, unfurl the flexiroller straight and slide it out of the roll of hair instead.
- Bask in amazing, curly hair that required very little time compared to curling irons, with no heat damage. I've gotten my system down to 10 minutes to flexiroll my hair before I go to bed.

I got my flexirollers at the Dollarama for only $20!

People comment that I have princess hair/fairy tale hair when I do mine like that.

Mrsbaybeegurl
December 24th, 2012, 09:45 PM
If I remember correctly Diamond.Eyes had a tutorial on using flexi rods, I bought mine after seeing her results as well as a few others from this site, but I can't remember where it was posted...possibly under the "heat free curls" thread?? If I find the thread I will link it ;)

ETA: FOUND IT!! Here's the tutorial http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=99317 and it was linked off of the Official heat free curl method thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=90030) which has other awesome curling techniques!!

TheHowlingWolf
December 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I got them in the mail today! I didn't know mail was delivered on Christmas eve lol. I tried it twice so far & both have been a big fat fail :(. It hurt my scalp a lot because it pulled a lot. I also heard some of my hair break :( ugh. & they didn't stay, they just fell down. My hair sucks though. It's all over the place and it's hard to section off. -_-

lunalocks
December 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I used to use these 1 to 2 times a year for wonderful curls. I set them with water and slept on them over night. I did have end breakage after I used them 3 times in one month - had to have an inch trimmed off. But I hadn't used end papers. THe last time, he curl was tight - ringlets - to begin with. As the evening wore on ( I did this for a fancy event) the curl fell out gradually. At some point I finger combed and had waves. I went through about 5 levels of curl in 3 hours. But it was very pretty. I've given my hair a years rest and I would not do this routinely.

rock007junkie
December 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
If you look on YouTube there's tons of tutorials about it

projectaj
November 7th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Hey guys,

My friend and I love these things and although they were a challenge to use initially once we got the hang of them they became a staple in taming our long hair. We decided to film a quick tutorial on how to use them (different sizes) to achieve really nice results.

Check out the link below to learn how to use them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCP93wqxRI

Chocowalnut
November 8th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I just got some and they're really cute and fun. In my hair right now. I feel like it might take some experimenting to get the right results from them, though.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19707&d=1447002586

Chocowalnut
November 8th, 2015, 12:03 PM
OK here's the results. Pretty happy with them. Don't like how much shorter my hair is but that's to be expected lol.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19708&d=1447009294

Inga-Marjukka
November 8th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Googling whether flexi rods damage hair was the reason I ended up on this site!

I only paid something like 2-4 euros for my rods from Tiger, and they're really bad. The iron wire inside keeps sticking out because the foam is too soft. But the curls they make are magical :magic:
In the future I'd like to experiment with bigger flexi rods for bigger and looser curls that don't make my hair look so short.

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Hey guys,

My friend and I love these things and although they were a challenge to use initially once we got the hang of them they became a staple in taming our long hair. We decided to film a quick tutorial on how to use them (different sizes) to achieve really nice results.

Check out the link below to learn how to use them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCP93wqxRI

Cool tutorial; thanks! :D Lovely results too!