PDA

View Full Version : Galadriel

WaitingSoLong
December 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
So we just went to see the hobbit yesterday and I kept thinking...my hair is (almost) as long as Galadriel's (http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-488-488-90/66/6629/1KXE100Z/posters/galadriel-the-hobbit-movie-cardboard-stand-up.jpg)and with the right waves, I could duplicate her hairstyle from that movie! Now to find her dress...and tiara...

Hwyfar
December 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
I keep getting comments that I look like the actress Cate Blanchett (Galadriel in the movies) so once my hair is long enough, I'm definitely going to dress as her for some occation :D Your hair is perfect already, so I'm looking forward for some Galadriel-pictures from you!

WaitingSoLong
December 23rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hwyfar...I have been wanting to try a non-heat curl method I found recently from this forum using straws. I don't have the straws yet though. I think that method will give my hair curl similar to hers. I certainly don't look like Cate but I love how they make her up in different movies. She is plainly beautiful.

Curled like that my hair would likely only be about hip. Close enough, right? lol

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
I've never seen the tiara she has but you can get a tiara in the kids section of the family dollar store. When you do your hair like hers let me know.

spidermom
December 23rd, 2012, 09:30 AM
Rope braids done nice and tight with some gel give a similar curve to the hair, too.

alyaziaaah
December 23rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Oh I wish I had golden hair like Galadriel!
But what to do. To compensate I will get her ring instead.
It's the most wonderful silver piece.....:cool:

melusine963
December 23rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
I can't wait to see pictures if you try this style out. It's pretty spectacular. :)

sparrowswing
December 23rd, 2012, 10:41 AM
The hair really is the key element to the Galadriel look. If you can get the right waves, you'll be perfect.

The dress should be easy enough to come by - it's a fairly simple pattern and you can find wedding dresses in very close styles - but her circlets are pretty difficult. The one from LotR (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Tips/Metal/GladCircletPat.htm) was excessively complex, but I have at least seen it done (http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/341515906?view_mode=2#/d5nbuki). The circlets in The Hobbit had me confused enough that I paid more attention to them than what was being said in some scenes. They almost look more like they were cut out of sheet metal and hammered for texture, rather than having complex patterns of wire spirals like before. Then again, maybe it's just thicker wire hammered flat? I'd have to experiment, and that's not happening until I (eventually) finish Arwen's coronation circlet from RotK.

WaitingSoLong
December 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Spidermom, rope braids don't give my hair curl at all. Not sure why? At best I get very faint waves, more like texture than actual waves.

Ocelan
December 23rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
My hair was similar enough after french braiding my hair with a paranda overnight. Of course it wasn't long enough and it was totally different color but that's how I wore my hair to see the Hobbit. And I do believe if you get the dress quite right with your hair and some elf ears nobody would notice your circlet being a little simpler as nobody knows how many different ones Galadriel has. ;)

Fairlight63
December 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
I have not seen the movie Hobbit yet. I clicked on the Galadriel link & now I have a new hair inspiration movie. She has beautiful hair!

sparrowswing
December 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM
My hair was similar enough after french braiding my hair with a paranda overnight. Of course it wasn't long enough and it was totally different color but that's how I wore my hair to see the Hobbit. And I do believe if you get the dress quite right with your hair and some elf ears nobody would notice your circlet being a little simpler as nobody knows how many different ones Galadriel has. ;)
Both very good points. The paranda would make the waves even, and french braiding it would make them start higher, in a more natural place. As for the circlet, if you don't want to make one there are some fairly inexpensive options like these (http://www.etsy.com/shop/BronzeSmith?section_id=8089927).

Maverick494
December 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
LOTR inspired circlets can be purchased from etsy, here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElnaraNiall?ref=seller_info
They basically look like the real deal.

Braidy
December 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
I remember that a few years ago you could just find THE circlets in THE LOTR merchandising

sparrowswing
December 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
LOTR inspired circlets can be purchased from etsy, here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElnaraNiall?ref=seller_info
They basically look like the real deal.
Well, yeah, Elnara's circlets are spot-on, well-made, and absolutely gorgeous. But I don't know anyone who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on an accessory for a costume. Even her simplest circlets done in brass cost more than a hundred. I did link to her Galadriel LotR replica circlet in my first post, though (click "seen it done"). She has her own website (http://www.medievalbridalfashions.com/) as well, where you can see a lot more of her work.

PrincessIdril
December 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
The hair really is the key element to the Galadriel look. If you can get the right waves, you'll be perfect.

The dress should be easy enough to come by - it's a fairly simple pattern and you can find wedding dresses in very close styles - but her circlets are pretty difficult. The one from LotR (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Tips/Metal/GladCircletPat.htm) was excessively complex, but I have at least seen it done (http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/341515906?view_mode=2#/d5nbuki). The circlets in The Hobbit had me confused enough that I paid more attention to them than what was being said in some scenes. They almost look more like they were cut out of sheet metal and hammered for texture, rather than having complex patterns of wire spirals like before. Then again, maybe it's just thicker wire hammered flat? I'd have to experiment, and that's not happening until I (eventually) finish Arwen's coronation circlet from RotK.

Ohh when you finish Arwen's circlet please post pics! I ADORE her entire coronation outfit

PrincessIdril
December 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
I remember that a few years ago you could just find THE circlets in THE LOTR merchandising

(sorry to post twice in a row OP)
Yeah those circlets are more for display purposes than wearing though. But for display items they are incredibly well made.
I own Arwen's (the one you see in the extended FOTR) and it's actually made of sterling silver! I did wear it for my school prom (along with the Evenstar cos I'm that much of a nerd. I was going to have a replica of the coronation gown but my gran refused to make me it :( ) It was actually quite painful as if I wore if in the same place as Arwen/Liv it dug into my forehead quite painfully. And I had attach elastic to it so it could actually be worn, which made hair styling a challenge! If folks are interested I can dig out the pictures to show it off.

OP I think if you got the gown and hair right it wouldn't matter that you didn't have the circlet. Or perhaps make one out of leaves or something? She was the Lady of the Golden Wood so a leafy crown could work!

WaitingSoLong
December 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
SO when does the second part of the Hobbit come out? My hair will be longer then and maybe I can get the outfit together by then. Of course who knows what she will be wearing next time. I am thinking...long, flowy, white...

As for the headpiece...I am not crafty so I will either have to forgo it or find something cheap to purchase.

PrincessIdril
December 24th, 2012, 02:49 AM
SO when does the second part of the Hobbit come out? My hair will be longer then and maybe I can get the outfit together by then. Of course who knows what she will be wearing next time. I am thinking...long, flowy, white...

As for the headpiece...I am not crafty so I will either have to forgo it or find something cheap to purchase.

Part 2 is due out December next year. And I did see a promo pic of her in a dress that did not show up in this one, so it's looking like a likely candidate for her next dress!

Zindell
December 24th, 2012, 04:58 AM
If folks are interested I can dig out the pictures to show it off.

Would love to see pictures! :)

jasper
December 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Yeah, I don't know what that scene was about because I was contemplating her hair and wondering how I could get waves like that and wondering f I have the volume for it.

I was thinking of a kind of rag curl where you use long thick strips folded in half and sort of weave large sections of hair in an S pattern around the two halves of the fabric.

Also I was distracted by both scenes where they slowly spun her around like she was on a turn table and had the long gowns twist at the bottom around her legs. I thought it was funny that they did it twice.

WaitingSoLong
December 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Also I was distracted by both scenes where they slowly spun her around like she was on a turn table and had the long gowns twist at the bottom around her legs. I thought it was funny that they did it twice.

Yeah like she was on a turn table. I was contemplating the need for that as well LOL I confess to paying more attention to her hair/clothes than the actual scene.

silkreel
December 24th, 2012, 08:39 PM
You have such beautiful, gold-spun hair. Sounds like the makings of a beautiful Galadriel hair style to me!

CaranDulin
December 25th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I loved the new movie! can't wait for the next one! I may just plan to be her as well next year.

Elanadi
December 25th, 2012, 12:39 AM
You will always be Luna to me!! ;) I'm a die-hard Tolkein fan; I am going to see the Hobbit this week. I am SOOOO looking forward to it! I love love love the elf costumes, they are just beautiful. sigh....

Bambi
December 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I'm in awe when it comes to her hair, dresses and circlets! Also the soft lightning just adds to all of it's splendor! Her make up is also so softly done, I love that you could tell that they used a cold based highlighter underneath her brow bone...a lovely little detail...sigh:D

MrsGuther
December 30th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I just saw the hobbit last night, and I'm in love with Galadriel's hair! It's so beautiful.